Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

Outer tie rod end on my front passenger side tire snapped on me the other day. Thank God that it happened in a parking garage and not on the highway or something. Looks to me like the ole' Murder Mobile (96 Lincoln Mark VIII) is about ready to be put away for good...which means I am car shopping for the first time ever.

It's exciting, yet daunting. Looking at Jeep Grand Cherokee's specifically. Debating on whether to buy used or perhaps lease a new one. Any tips/suggestions?

Every time a 90's Lincoln dies a part of me dies with it. Detuned V8's, crappy slushboxes, staggeringly awful fuel economy and just luxo barge glory. How much would you want for it?

As for replacement (as if there is any suitable replacement other than a Lincoln Town Car), the Grand Cherokee will do you just fine. Though I'd at least look into those unkillable K Chevys or a Ford Ranger as well. I do think the Grand Cherokee soiled the Jeep brand for personal reasons that I do not expect others to share, but I will admit it'll do pretty much what the Lincoln did without much fuss. Beware, its AMC engineered and Chrysler manufactured--but if it lasted this long to be put on the market you can.be assured its a decent machine.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 12:45 AM)
Every time a 90's Lincoln dies a part of me dies with it. Detuned V8's, crappy slushboxes, staggeringly awful fuel economy and just luxo barge glory. How much would you want for it?

As for replacement (as if there is any suitable replacement other than a Lincoln Town Car), the Grand Cherokee will do you just fine. Though I'd at least look into those unkillable K Chevys or a Ford Ranger as well. I do think the Grand Cherokee soiled the Jeep brand for personal reasons that I do not expect others to share, but I will admit it'll do pretty much what the Lincoln did without much fuss. Beware, its AMC engineered and Chrysler manufactured--but if it lasted this long to be put on the market you can.be assured its a decent machine.

I'm shooting much newer, likely CPO. Ideal would be a 2010 or newer with less than 50,000 miles and 4x4 capabilities.

And oddly enough, the gas mileage on the Lincoln was pretty damn good for a V8. She was primarily highway, and I got about 30 mpg on it. Just recently passed 200,000 on the engine too.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 10:28 PM)
You're not supposed to pass anybody on the right.

Slower traffic is also supposed to keep to the right. If trucks are blocking traffic, I am passing where there is an open lane. The moving of the goal posts into being able to merge lanes is also BS. If you as a car driver can't merge, you shouldn't be on the interstate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
Slower traffic is also supposed to keep to the right. If trucks are blocking traffic, I am passing where there is an open lane. The moving of the goal posts into being able to merge lanes is also BS. If you as a car driver can't merge, you shouldn't be on the interstate.

Also worth adding is that if a car has time to execute a pass at 5 to 10 mph over the speedlimit in the right lane, that means there is absolutely no traffic there, which means the "merging traffic" thing isn't applicable. There is no reason for trucks to be in the middle lane at that point. All it does is encourage passing on the right.

The right lane isn't useless. Merging and cars that are travelling slower than the posted speed limit (such as towing) should be there. Very few trucks have set speeds below the posted speed limits, Spirit I believe is the one I've noticed. So you have trucks and other traffic travelling at the posted speed limit in the center lane, vehicles travelling slower than the limit in the right (with trucks passing them) and vehicles speeding and travelling in the left lane. That seems to work.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
So after a couple months at the helm of a big rig I feel qualified to give your 4 wheelers some tips on dealing with us that will help you:

1. Never pass on the right. Never pass on the right. NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT. Once the highway goes to the 3 lanes trucks will mostly camp the middle lane, this keeps us from having to get out of the way and let in merging traffic while not blocking the passing the lane. A lot of 4 wheelers take this as an invitaton to use the right lane as a 2nd passing lane. I've come very close to running over numerous cars because on the passenger's side of the truck I dont have blind spots, I have blind fields. I cant see you down there, you're underneath the field of my side mirrors and unless you're driving some lifted truck I cannot see you out the passenger window.

Everytime you do it you are risking death, I'm not kidding. If there's one rule you can follow around trucks its this one.

I'm forced to pass them on the right every single day because of the 35 miles of construction on I-90 between Elgin and Rockford. There are only 2 lanes and the signs all say "trucks use left lane".

I'm forced to pass them on the right every single day because of the 35 miles of construction on I-90 between Elgin and Rockford. There are only 2 lanes and the signs all say "trucks use left lane".

You really should avoid passing in those type of work zones, if we get relegated to the left lane there's usually some hazard that forces it. But yra, if we are stuck in the left lane by design and you need to pass that's a notable exception. I don't know about other drivers but in those situations I check my passenger mirror like crazy just so I can keep tabs on what's going on over there

I like the quote "they shouldn't be on the road anyways", this applies to laughably large percentage of 4 wheelers, particularly in cities. The realityof these people is something we have to account for, which is why sometimes if you gesture a truck over or flash your high beams tthey'll ignore you. Enough of these guys have been burned by 4 wheelers so much they've lost faith in all of them.

I have Sync with MyFord in my new truck and the voice control seems to have a problem recognizing what I say. I know I have to change some names in my address book, Marvilyn sounds too much like line-in. But something as simple as call mom cell doesn't register. I am the pronouncer for our school's spelling bee, and (before drinking) speak fairly clearly. Is the technology still evolving?

And coolest sight on my truck, watching the average MPG hover around 20-21 instead of 14. We'll still take my wife's four cylinder Honda CRV on longer trips when we aren't towing our camper, but getting 20 driving to work seems almost miserly now.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 06:21 AM)
I have Sync with MyFord in my new truck and the voice control seems to have a problem recognizing what I say. I know I have to change some names in my address book, Marvilyn sounds too much like line-in. But something as simple as call mom cell doesn't register. I am the pronouncer for our school's spelling bee, and (before drinking) speak fairly clearly. Is the technology still evolving?

Ford's (and Microsoft's) Sync system has had problems since day 1, it has been a real issue for them. Its a shame because Ford has done a lot of nice work with their vehicles in the past 5-6 years or so, but thei reliability numbers aren't as good as they could be specifically because of Sync.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 06:21 AM)

I think that fact that you are calling Mom while driving drunk is about the absolute least manliest thing you could really do.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)
Ford's (and Microsoft's) Sync system has had problems since day 1, it has been a real issue for them. Its a shame because Ford has done a lot of nice work with their vehicles in the past 5-6 years or so, but thei reliability numbers aren't as good as they could be specifically because of Sync.

It seems to be related to road noise. Althought this is the quietest truck I have driven. Stopped, the commands are recognized better than when moving.

I was going to say, do you have your windows open? I have a Ford with sync and it works pretty well 90% of the time. "Mom cell" definitely works well. Sometimes it gets similar names mixed up, but that's to be expected. The accuracy definitely drops if windows are open though.

My major complaint with Sync, at least in my vehicle, is that the volume of the prompts and the volume of the calls do not match...at all. To hear someone clearly you have to turn the volume up, which means the Sync prompts are loud enough to hurt your ears. It's really annoying.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
I was going to say, do you have your windows open? I have a Ford with sync and it works pretty well 90% of the time. "Mom cell" definitely works well. Sometimes it gets similar names mixed up, but that's to be expected. The accuracy definitely drops if windows are open though.

My major complaint with Sync, at least in my vehicle, is that the volume of the prompts and the volume of the calls do not match...at all. To hear someone clearly you have to turn the volume up, which means the Sync prompts are loud enough to hurt your ears. It's really annoying.

Windows were up and I turned down the AC fan. The volume thing wasn't too bad, but I see what you mean. Also reading messages was a bit weird. When they spell out some stuff that seems like should be in their dictionary like instagram. I get I_N_S_T_A_G_R_A_M

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)

I've had to pull the fuse to reset the Sync in my wife's Fusion twice in four months now. It just stops recognizing the USB port and her iPod. Frustrating.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)

We've noticed that sometimes, the GPS is whisper-quiet but other times it's SHOUTING IN YOUR FACE TURN LEFT

So, because of this thread I paid attention while driving yesterday any had to pass three trucks on the right. All of the. Had chances to merge right and weren't doing so.

The worst was just south of Birmingham. In a merging area full of signs saying trucks stay in right lane, a truck had gotten himself into the far left lane out of 3. Because he couldn't keep up with the traffic speed he was slowing everyone in the left hand lane down. This caused everyone in the left lane to try to merge right, slowing down the other 2 lanes in the process. This truck caused his own half mile long traffic jam by getting into the left hang lane. There were no entrances on the left so he had to actively merge there, ignoring the signs, and stay there when people gave him a chance to merge right.

As far as I can tell he just wanted to slow down the full higway. Made me think of this thread.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
So, because of this thread I paid attention while driving yesterday any had to pass three trucks on the right. All of the. Had chances to merge right and weren't doing so.

The worst was just south of Birmingham. In a merging area full of signs saying trucks stay in right lane, a truck had gotten himself into the far left lane out of 3. Because he couldn't keep up with the traffic speed he was slowing everyone in the left hand lane down. This caused everyone in the left lane to try to merge right, slowing down the other 2 lanes in the process. This truck caused his own half mile long traffic jam by getting into the left hang lane. There were no entrances on the left so he had to actively merge there, ignoring the signs, and stay there when people gave him a chance to merge right.

As far as I can tell he just wanted to slow down the full higway. Made me think of this thread.

This is the exact kind of stuff I am talking about.

Maybe everyone passing him on the right made it impossible to merge back? I don't know, I wasn't there. All I have is testimony from a 4 wheeler.

And that's the problem.

You barely know the meaning of "slowed down". Its just more of the same "I know better than these ignorant f***ing truckers do on these roads! They barely know how to drive!". I'm sorry you didn't shave a minute or two off your commute that day, really breaks my heart that you, your BIG TIME Class D license and little s***box didn't feel as entitled to full ownership of those roads as you should. Us truckers, yea I mean we might drive more hours in a day than you will all week, we might be carrying 45,000 lbs of crap for you to buy and sure, the difference 10 MPH makes to your commute 1 MPH makes to our entitre day but we need to understand that 4 wheelers just know better. I'll keep it in mind next time I have to overtake another truck: "Now think, not passing him will cost me $1.50/hr. But if I do pass him some of these 4 wheelers might be 4 minutes, as opposed to 6 minutes, early for the job they hate".