Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
I'm getting a little annoyed hearing that. I've been living in the back of this truck for a month, I haven't been home in a month, I haven't spent more than one consecutive night in the same place in a month. I've spent a combined 5 hours with people I've known from before this job in a month. Its actually been more than that but whatever, on a bad day this s*** is not easy for anyone. Guy who's been driving his whole life died in his cab 4 weeks ago and they just found him.

So cut the bulls***, I see the job hunt thread and all the b****ing that goes on in Buster about "WHERE ARE THE JOBS???!??!?", well here's one. I'd be demeaned less if I were some welfare baby working part tine at McDonalds.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
This could be a very interesting topic.

But Duke, man, your posts on this are condescending to the point of narcissism. From a guy who has been trucking for a month. You won't get useful responses doing that.

The point I'd I'm being told how to I should do my job (condescention) by people who've never stepped foot in a truck while I, who's been in many cars and driven many cars in many places, cannot make any judgments at all on cars. Then being told I'm condescending.

And you have told people who have been driving longer than you have been alive that they don't know anything. And how has that argument gone for you?

Hell Duke, while not actually driving, I have more time in a cab than you do, and I agree with a lot of your points, but I stopped trying to help your argument. Not because I disagreed with what your were saying, but how you were saying it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
Yet someone can't realize that a right lane in which cars are able to pass trucks means it doesn't have merging traffic in it (otherwise how the hell would you pass in it?), is some sort of 18 wheeling expert.

Cars weaving in and out of traffic from lane to lane?

Because, and this something I've tried to get through to you, being 70 ft long and taking 3-4x the distance to stop as a car does not lend itself to changing lanes very well. So just because at the moment you're in a two mile stretch with no ramps it doesn't mean in the near future (particulalrly on a 3+ lane highway) there won't be many ramps. I need a ton of room to switch lanes, I need a ton of room to even slow down. So being involved in a dance between the center and right lane is bad.

I can't be any more clear. Seriously, that's the best I can do.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
Because, and this something I've tried to get through to you, being 70 ft long and taking 3-4x the distance to stop as a car does not lend itself to changing lanes very well. So just because at the moment you're in a two mile stretch with no ramps it doesn't mean in the near future (particulalrly on a 3+ lane highway) there won't be many ramps. I need a ton of room to switch lanes, I need a ton of room to even slow down. So being involved in a dance between the center and right lane is bad.

Plus as soon as a truck turns on its turn signal cars speed up as to not get "stuck behind the truck".

I've managed to drive 35+ years and rarely have ever passed a truck on the right. Plus I was in outside sales for 25 of those years logging 30,000 miles a year.

My biggest complaint are the people that wait until they are within 1/8 of a mile of the exit they want and then need to cross 2-3 lanes of traffic to get to it. I see this every pretty much every single day with both cars and semis.

Getting onto I-90 from I-290 right there by Woodfield Mall is the worst.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
I'm getting a little annoyed hearing that. I've been living in the back of this truck for a month, I haven't been home in a month, I haven't spent more than one consecutive night in the same place in a month. I've spent a combined 5 hours with people I've known from before this job in a month. Its actually been more than that but whatever, on a bad day this s*** is not easy for anyone. Guy who's been driving his whole life died in his cab 4 weeks ago and they just found him.

So cut the bulls***, I see the job hunt thread and all the b****ing that goes on in Buster about "WHERE ARE THE JOBS???!??!?", well here's one. I'd be demeaned less if I were some welfare baby working part tine at McDonalds.

Wow.

For the record, I personally think truck drivers as a group are better drivers than people in cars. AS A GROUP. There are exceptions, and I don't think there is a LOT of difference, but if I had to pick one group for having a slightly higher percentage of road competence, I'd go truckers.

But you are truly making it difficult for anyone to agree with you, even if they did before they read posts like the above. How can you not read the last few pages and see that?

tons of room, aka, an empty right lane. The best I can do indeed.

Balta gave a story about a truck sitting in the left-most lane of a three lane highway and not getting over even when the driver had time. Your response was to talk about "4 wheelers" and deride them for wanting to go faster to get to a job they hate anyway.

Something's getting lost in your narrative here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Balta gave a story about a truck sitting in the left-most lane of a three lane highway and not getting over even when the driver had time. Your response was to talk about "4 wheelers" and deride them for wanting to go faster to get to a job they hate anyway.

Something's getting lost in your narrative here.

Trucks passing other trucks on a busy 2 lane highway like route 65 makes me angry to no end. Singlehandedly makes a traffic jam only to get right in front of that truck then slowing down.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
I don't think anyone will argue passing a truck on the right side is the best way to go unless the truck gives you no other option. It is pretty much everything else you said that has made everyone against you....

But te problem is, we have one trucker who insists both that truckers can't be criticized for hanging out in other lanes and 4 wheelers should be criticized if they pass those same truckers on the right when they hang out there.

After all, those cars are just making things unsafe while trying to shave 2 minutes off their commute, but the truck in the center or left lane is just an honorable soldier trying to make an honest living and that extra minute for him or her is worth more than our lives.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:17 AM)
Balta, I love it when you mock people for working for a living.

There is no clearer statement to how absurd your arguments are than you have Balta and I on the same side. Seriously if that doesn't make you reexamine, I don't know what will.

Things I think we all agree on

The most dangerous place to be is hanging out in the right lane in the driver's blind spot

When possible, the slowest vehicles should be in the right lane

Trucks do not stop as quickly as cars

Trucks should leave a larger gap between them and the next vehicle for stopping

This gap is an inviting space for cars who are trying to get around the truck causing a potential accident

More later

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)
Outer tie rod end on my front passenger side tire snapped on me the other day. Thank God that it happened in a parking garage and not on the highway or something. Looks to me like the ole' Murder Mobile (96 Lincoln Mark VIII) is about ready to be put away for good...which means I am car shopping for the first time ever.

It's exciting, yet daunting. Looking at Jeep Grand Cherokee's specifically. Debating on whether to buy used or perhaps lease a new one. Any tips/suggestions?

Anyone?