Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

I'm getting closer and closer to buying my first new car. It's kind of intimidating since I don't know what to expect. I'm still not sure whether I'll lease or buy, but I know I've narrowed it down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler Unlimited or a Dodge Charger. I'm 24 and building credit, so I don't know how my credit score will effect my interest rate and what kind of loan I might qualify for.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 01:17 AM)
I'm getting closer and closer to buying my first new car. It's kind of intimidating since I don't know what to expect. I'm still not sure whether I'll lease or buy, but I know I've narrowed it down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler Unlimited or a Dodge Charger. I'm 24 and building credit, so I don't know how my credit score will effect my interest rate and what kind of loan I might qualify for.

The JGCs are the bomb. I've had a 2011 and 2014 of the new model and both have been pretty much rock solid. If you don't care about tech, the wrangler is also nice.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:06 AM)
Anyone recommend a late model small truck? I've been looking at frontier, Tacoma, Colorado but don't really know anything about this segment.

The Ford truck forum I sometimes drop into has a big group of guys that love their small Fords. I'm on my second full size Ford F-150 and love it. I know my Ecology card is revoked when I make myself a cup of coffee in my Keurig and take it out to my truck to drive to work. I try to make it up in other areas.

Check the specs for why you are considering a truck. If you are planning to tow with it, check the capacity. If you are thinking of loading bricks in the bed, check the capacity. I tow 5,000 pounds all summer so comfortable towing was important to me, as well as four and sometime five passenger comfort. Obviously that won't happen wirh a small truck. Also think about tossing stuff in the bed unlocked. I have a tonneau cover in mine and I don't mind leaving some things back there, but stuff like golf clubs, if I stop somewhere, I have to toss them on the floor of the cab.

Overall I love having a truck. But I'm down in pick up country where parking lots and everything else are built with lots of pickups in mind. I noticed when I was in Chicago last, stuff was much tighter. The parking lot lanes were narrower, the spots not as deep.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 02:17 AM)

Capital One does prequalifications for auto loans on line if you are close. They will tell you what credit line you qualify for and what your interest rate would be. Going from there you can go backwards to get your payment with a compounding interest calculator.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:06 AM)
Anyone recommend a late model small truck? I've been looking at frontier, Tacoma, Colorado but don't really know anything about this segment.

I have had 2 Rangers that I was happy with. One was extended cab and some dude totallyed it in a parking lot. The other was a regular cab Sport model with stick and a V6. I liked that one, but 6 months after I bought it, found out our second kid was on the way. It ended up becoming a minivan. :(

They haven't sold rangers in the US in several years now. I was surprised to find that out. Dodge doesn't make the Dakota anymore, either. I read somewhere that the small truck market is a quarter of what it was a decade ago. That would explain why there aren't that many there on used car lots.

Anyone have any opinions on Chevy 1500?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Looking for an SUV with less than 30000 miles and no older than a 2011 for under 25000 and a 7 seater at least. Only one I seem to find is the Durango which looks really nice and has some decent reviews. Just want to do due diligence. Can anyone recommend any others?

I love my Traverse. Big enough for all of the lacrosse stuff and still get decent MPG (around 22). I got the sports package so it has the hitch and extra gear switch and engine cooler. Mine seats 7 with two captains chairs in the second row. I drive a fair amount with the kids. It has 127,000 in 4 1/2 years with no major repairs.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Looking for an SUV with less than 30000 miles and no older than a 2011 for under 25000 and a 7 seater at least. Only one I seem to find is the Durango which looks really nice and has some decent reviews. Just want to do due diligence. Can anyone recommend any others?

It falls just outside of your "year" criteria, but I love my 2010 Ford Explorer. It has 7 seats (fold-down 3rd row) and is a great ride. I've had it for 2.5 years and haven't had a single issue. Love that car. Maybe the 2011 version would fit your need.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
They haven't sold rangers in the US in several years now. I was surprised to find that out. Dodge doesn't make the Dakota anymore, either. I read somewhere that the small truck market is a quarter of what it was a decade ago. That would explain why there aren't that many there on used car lots.

Anyone have any opinions on Chevy 1500?

Are you trying to stay with American-made trucks? My brother has a Toyota Tacoma and loves it. I've ridden it in a few times and it seems to be a great truck. Smooth ride. Touch screen console with some nice amenities. It's a 2014, so he bought it new.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
I can't seem to find a Tacoma for under 25k, but they're really nice.

Ah, gotcha. To be honest, I didn't know how much they cost. Never asked or looked it up. But I do know that they supposedly hold their value very well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
The JGCs are the bomb. I've had a 2011 and 2014 of the new model and both have been pretty much rock solid. If you don't care about tech, the wrangler is also nice.

I'm really looking forward to test driving both.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Capital One does prequalifications for auto loans on line if you are close. They will tell you what credit line you qualify for and what your interest rate would be. Going from there you can go backwards to get your payment with a compounding interest calculator.

Awesome. I'll look into that.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)

Hyundai Santa Fe. Had a rental for a month when my work Rav4 got totaled. it was very nice and we considered getting a new one of those instead of the Malibu. You can get a 2 or 3 year old Sante Fe with your specs easy.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)

Don't listen or trust the dealers to tell you what your rate is. Go to a credit union or two and have that understanding before you walk into the dealership. If you don't, they will take you for whatever they can get. The loan people feed of people who are unknowledgeable about their credit and how the process works. I encourage you to read through articles on the car buying websites, etc. Make sure you go in prepared. Also, you never have a need to share your credit until you are interested. Dealers are notorious for doing multiple hard pulls as they shop your rate as well so you have to be careful the whole time. Presuming you pay your credit cards, etc, on time, you should be okay but first do one of your free credit reports so you have all the facts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)

One other tip...don't negotiate based upon what the monthly payment is. First negotiate the price you are comfortable paying, second understand the credit process and what is available (special financing, etc) and have a rough idea from a credit union or two as well so you have all of the facts. If you go for payment, you will be f***ed. The payment is simple math based upon numerous factors that can be negotiated. You should figure out what you are comfortable with before going and then start by negotiating price of vehicle (that is completely dependent on negotiating any price of financing)...then once that is set, move on to step 2.

Yep, getting you to talk about "monthly payment" instead of the actual price of the car and the terms of the loan is a pretty common way of obscuring what it's actually going to cost you.

alternatively, you could find a car that's a year or two old that's for sale from a private seller and avoid all of the dealership bulls*** games.

I lied slav. A third tip. Don't even waste your time negotiating an extended warranty plan. I'm not sure if you want one or not but just know this. There are fat margins on those products and if you do want one (again personal preference and they sell these things to make money...but for some it is like an insurance policy and they like knowing they are covered for significant repairs) you have up until the warranty runs up to get one and you can get one from any dealership (+ can use 3rd party companies). What I did on my last one, was frequent a Toyota forum, found out what the exact pricing was and found a dealer in Kansas who did it for $10 over Toyota cost. It was about 2250 less (

Again, I'm comfortable doing that because it gives me the fixed price I want for my car (I try to buy and hold for 8-10 years and then it gives a little piece of mind when selling the car as well; to whomever the buyer is). I also am an accountant so when it comes to fixing cars, unless it is basics like replacing some lights or putting on new windshield wipers (or swapping the air vents), i'm worthless nor do I know a mechanic I trust so I'd rather just be covered if some mechanical failure happens.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
One other tip...don't negotiate based upon what the monthly payment is. First negotiate the price you are comfortable paying, second understand the credit process and what is available (special financing, etc) and have a rough idea from a credit union or two as well so you have all of the facts. If you go for payment, you will be f***ed. The payment is simple math based upon numerous factors that can be negotiated. You should figure out what you are comfortable with before going and then start by negotiating price of vehicle (that is completely dependent on negotiating any price of financing)...then once that is set, move on to step 2.

Agreed. They do that so they can manipulate various data sets. That is why if you go in with your loan pre-determined, you eliminate one way they can screw you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
Agreed. They do that so they can manipulate various data sets. That is why if you go in with your loan pre-determined, you eliminate one way they can screw you.

Without even realizing it I think I did this ok. I had a set of quotes on the sticker price of the car I wanted pulled from other websites and directly from other dealers. I don't even remember if they tried to play around with the terms on mine at all as a way around the price, I knew the price I was going to pay and started handing them list price numbers. I gave a shot at going $500 below the best offer I had on paper, they came back & were a lot higher, so I then turned to "match this quote and we'll have something" mode.

I financed through the dealer but that's how I got things focused on the total price.