Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2016 -> 04:02 PM)
I know lemons happen, but my wife and i both have had such horrible experiences doing that, I would rather get one new. It just sucks, i hate cars. I don't want to spend money on them. I hate every second I'm in them. I get the appeal for some people, but just aren't for me.

Unless the car is a Lexus, I would want no part of that, either. My old A4 broke down so often, my wife made me swap it out.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 12, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Unless the car is a Lexus, I would want no part of that, either. My old A4 broke down so often, my wife made me swap it out.

Today's cars are better than ever. There are all kinds of models to choose from that will get 200-250k miles without a ton of real maintenance.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 12, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm not saying buy something off the used car lot with 100k miles+, but a car with a cpo warranty and like 25k miles is going to be just as reliable as a brand new car.

Yeah, I agree. The car industry and the model car manufacturers utilize to generate revenues has changed - and resulted in some really great used vehicles available for relatively good pricing as long as you don't demand the latest technology or design features.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 12, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Not at all. But Chili did nothing of the sort. He didn't ask anyone for advice on what to buy. In fact, he didn't ask anyone advice about whether he could afford such a car, how much he makes, what his occupation is, etc.

This is a thread about cars, not about financial advice.

Now I don't think Jason meant any harm by it, and he did mention that he didn't fully know Chili's financial situation, but the whole post sort of assumed that he did.

People just seem overly concerned, for whatever reasons, about how much others spend on cars.

It's a general discussion. People jump in and make comments. From attendance to vacations to cars we tell each other how to spend money all the time here. I guess this one was just a little too directed at one person.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 13, 2016 -> 05:33 AM)
It's a general discussion. People jump in and make comments. From attendance to vacations to cars we tell each other how to spend money all the time here. I guess this one was just a little too directed at one person.

Eh...I know some may or may not appreciate my comments. As my friends know (to their chagrin at times), I'm an open book when it comes to things like this and I'm not shy when it comes to my opinion, especially on areas where I think I can provide some form of value / expertise / knowledgeable thoughts (and Its also something I take personally cause I've seen family members and other people make terrible decisions because they didn't know any better of have someone pose the question or challenge the concept). I feel like many people on this board qualify as internet friends who I treat no different when it comes to advice (for better or worse).

I'm the type of person when I see people make decisions where I wonder, I tend to like to pose certain questions more to ensure they've thought through things, and sometimes just give tough perspective. Basically put, when it comes to certain items, I'm not the type of friend who keeps there mouth shut. I'm the type that will bring something up...but it is just a friendly suggestion / thought provoking component. I'm not the type that than goes told you so or does anything else or that will continue to shove said stance down there throats.

Same way I treat business decisions...if people take my advice great, if they don't, than as long as I don't think the path is factually wrong, than I understand there are multiple ways to skin a cat and just because my way wasn't the way we went, I know I need to get on board and do everything I can to successfully implement the plan (again, if something was factually wrong, than I know I need to adjust my argument to make it more clear).

And I also, on a more macro perspective, just view that as a society, we do a poor job educating people on personal finances. Basically, the apple doesn't typically fall far from the tree in many cases. So often times, especially when you are young, you only know what your parents know and parents, no matter how smart they might be, may or may not make good financial decisions. And from a school perspective, you again, get very little education when it comes to managing personal finances. It is a shame since it is a value and skill that should apply to every single subset of the population. Whether you are an engineer or a doctor or a janitor, there is value in understanding personal finance.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
Eh...I know some may or may not appreciate my comments. As my friends know (to their chagrin at times), I'm an open book when it comes to things like this and I'm not shy when it comes to my opinion, especially on areas where I think I can provide some form of value / expertise / knowledgeable thoughts (and Its also something I take personally cause I've seen family members and other people make terrible decisions because they didn't know any better of have someone pose the question or challenge the concept). I feel like many people on this board qualify as internet friends who I treat no different when it comes to advice (for better or worse).

I'm the type of person when I see people make decisions where I wonder, I tend to like to pose certain questions more to ensure they've thought through things, and sometimes just give tough perspective. Basically put, when it comes to certain items, I'm not the type of friend who keeps there mouth shut. I'm the type that will bring something up...but it is just a friendly suggestion / thought provoking component. I'm not the type that than goes told you so or does anything else or that will continue to shove said stance down there throats.

Same way I treat business decisions...if people take my advice great, if they don't, than as long as I don't think the path is factually wrong, than I understand there are multiple ways to skin a cat and just because my way wasn't the way we went, I know I need to get on board and do everything I can to successfully implement the plan (again, if something was factually wrong, than I know I need to adjust my argument to make it more clear).

And I also, on a more macro perspective, just view that as a society, we do a poor job educating people on personal finances. Basically, the apple doesn't typically fall far from the tree in many cases. So often times, especially when you are young, you only know what your parents know and parents, no matter how smart they might be, may or may not make good financial decisions. And from a school perspective, you again, get very little education when it comes to managing personal finances. It is a shame since it is a value and skill that should apply to every single subset of the population. Whether you are an engineer or a doctor or a janitor, there is value in understanding personal finance.

Jason,

You're absolutely right, and no hard feelings.

I just think you have to realize that not everyone views money the same way. For instance, I've seen all kinds of discussions in regards to how to get the best interest rates on things, how to best plan for retirement, how to best invest in the stock market, how much of your income you should spend on cars, or a home, or vacations, etc. Ultimately, I use money as a vehicle to provide me and my family with happiness. My goal is not necessarily to maximize the amount of money in my bank account, but rather, to maximize the amount of happiness and enjoyment I get out of life. And everyone gets happiness and enjoyment out of life in different ways.

For instance, I remember the post you made awhile back in regards to finding the best deal on a car for your family. You laid out this incredibly detailed process and and spent what appeared to be a great deal of time ensuring you got what you felt was the best deal possible. Let's say all that work saved you, I dunno, $2k over if you had just walked in on a Tuesday evening and purchased a vehicle off the local dealer's lot. Well, the question is, how much was the process you went through worth to you? Was it worth the stress and the time and the effort? I tend to think you'll probably say it was, otherwise you wouldn't have done it and you wouldn't have posted about it. However, for some others, perhaps it is just easier and makes them happier to walk onto the lot and buy a car and pay the extra $2k.

Another example is travel. Many European friends of mine sort of laugh at Americans because many of them put off traveling until they retire, as opposed to traveling when they are younger and perhaps can enjoy more activities, etc.

In summary, I don't think one needs to optimize one's life to achieve the largest bankroll for retirement. Rather, we should value happiness over finances.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Jason,

You're absolutely right, and no hard feelings.

I just think you have to realize that not everyone views money the same way. For instance, I've seen all kinds of discussions in regards to how to get the best interest rates on things, how to best plan for retirement, how to best invest in the stock market, how much of your income you should spend on cars, or a home, or vacations, etc. Ultimately, I use money as a vehicle to provide me and my family with happiness. My goal is not necessarily to maximize the amount of money in my bank account, but rather, to maximize the amount of happiness and enjoyment I get out of life. And everyone gets happiness and enjoyment out of life in different ways.

For instance, I remember the post you made awhile back in regards to finding the best deal on a car for your family. You laid out this incredibly detailed process and and spent what appeared to be a great deal of time ensuring you got what you felt was the best deal possible. Let's say all that work saved you, I dunno, $2k over if you had just walked in on a Tuesday evening and purchased a vehicle off the local dealer's lot. Well, the question is, how much was the process you went through worth to you? Was it worth the stress and the time and the effort? I tend to think you'll probably say it was, otherwise you wouldn't have done it and you wouldn't have posted about it. However, for some others, perhaps it is just easier and makes them happier to walk onto the lot and buy a car and pay the extra $2k.

Another example is travel. Many European friends of mine sort of laugh at Americans because many of them put off traveling until they retire, as opposed to traveling when they are younger and perhaps can enjoy more activities, etc.

In summary, I don't think one needs to optimize one's life to achieve the largest bankroll for retirement. Rather, we should value happiness over finances.

Shack, appreciate your perspective and like I mentioned in my initial post and my secondary post, I purely offered my perspective and thoughts (and am not hear to force any decision as ultimately what people want to actually do is there prerogative and I'm not drumming the you need to spend x% on this and x% on that). Ultimately the decision (like any decision), is up to the individual and I agree with you on the definition of what is worth splurging vs. what isn't for every person is different and that is absolutely fine (I splurge on sports tickets, my residence, my kids education, and traveling, but within my own financial constraints). I always say you shouldn't live your whole life focused on retirement, you got to have a fine balance of present and future.

Either way, I'm just offering my perspective / thoughts on the matter and that was really it (don't want to derail this thread more than I already have). What is worth it to different people differs, although I do say you need to make sure whatever it is you buy you can afford. That really is it. If someone wants to spend more disposable income on a car vs. a house or anything else, that is up to each individual (key word being discretionary income).

In society I think everyone gets caught up with what everyone else has and that is unhealthy and often times drives people to think that is how they too need to spend there money (and as a result you spend your whole life playing catch-up vs. being ahead of the game). Focus on splurging on the few things that make you happy, but make sure those splurges fit into the realm of whatever each individuals personal finances are.

Anyone buy a car with a salvage title? I saw a listing online for an 2002 Tahoe that only has 100k miles on it. Looks great from the pictures and it's less than $4k. I'm thinking it'd be great as a family vacation vehicle that can tow something (like a pop-up camper) at a very, very minimal expense. But I have little to no idea what a salvage title entails when it comes to future repair work, insurance, any sec of state issues, etc.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 13, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
Anyone buy a car with a salvage title? I saw a listing online for an 2002 Tahoe that only has 100k miles on it. Looks great from the pictures and it's less than $4k. I'm thinking it'd be great as a family vacation vehicle that can tow something (like a pop-up camper) at a very, very minimal expense. But I have little to no idea what a salvage title entails when it comes to future repair work, insurance, any sec of state issues, etc.

All I have heard is make sure it isnt flood salvaged. That kind of repair work seems to pop up at random times and sometimes will make the money you saved burn up in repairs

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
But legally do you HAVE to get those cars repaired? I wouldn't be selling this thing, I'd just drive it until it dies.

I don't think you have to do anything. Maybe just call your car insurance and see. Presume it wouldn't be an issue getting car insurance since they are focused on covering the liability and from an overall damage perspective, car is going to be valued considering the salvaged title so as long as it is operating condition would presume it wouldn't impact insurance rates.

Key note, I'm presuming so better to just ask your insurance company. Presume as long as it passes smog you can do what you please with it. I would make sure it runs and is fixed and you understand why it was "salvaged". Not sure if you can find the details to that out or not.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
So I'm an ahole (or as I tell myself...a truth teller) when it comes to personal finances, so I'm just going to make this comment, but unless I'm mistaken, you work as a server at a Chili's. Now I have no idea what your longer term plans are and maybe you have lined up some wall street job with a big signing bonus (or already have a ton of money through inheritance or something...either way, I don't need to know), but unless one of my predefined scenarios fits, in no way shape or form is dropping $42K on a car a solid financial decision for someone just starting out.

You don't need to take my advice and I'm not here to get into a big discussion about it, but seeing that you are buying one I find it in my internet heart that I need to give you what I feel is the advice I'd tell my kids (and the advice I'd want someone to tell me in that situation).

You are mistaken.

And if I don't find a more lucrative job or some sort of situation occurs, I more than likely won't be getting this car anyway. I have until the configuration date (Summer 2017 probably) to figure that out, since the $1000 is completely refundable up until that point.

But at the same time, this is also motivating me, so it's financial stress that I ultimately have a way out of in 12 months.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 13, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)

I know two people who have done that. Both cars were totaled and then rebuilt. They told me they could get liability but no other insurance. Depending on why the cars were totaled will help you decide what future problems you may encounter. Usually it will be body damage. Both guys were in the construction trades and these were work trucks that would get knocked around anyways. They bought directly from a repair shop that buys and rebuilds totaled vehicles. They both were really positive about it. One of the guys happened to be a contractor for some work that I had done at the Scout camp I ran. We had a couple hours to sit and b.s. while subs and supplies arrived. The other was another Scout leader I met at a couple events. He used the truck for work and Scouting. We got on the subject because he was wondering about using the vehicle to haul Scouts around.

I wonder if anyone's car habits are similar to mines:

I'm almost 31 years old and only had 3 cars ever.

First car was a hand-me-down silver 1990 Cadillac Deville that was my mom's old car that she let me have in 2002 after I got my license after she got another used car. Everything you could think of was wrong with that Cadillac: no heat, 2 doors stuck shut, and the transmission gave out to the point where I had to push it backwards out of parking spaces. I still loved that car, because I thought it looked awesome how it was missing some hub caps, outside door panels, and how it let out a trail of exhaust in the winter time like Uncle Buck's car from "Uncle Buck".

In 2003 or 2004, my neighbor sold me his dark green 1993 Toyota Camry for $1,000. It was a great car and I drove it until 2010 until the exhaust system gave out and I figured that it was too costly to get that fixed since it already had a leaky head gasket (had to pour oil into it once a week for 2 years) and it was at 244,000 miles. I even nicknamed this car Roadkill because it kinda looked like Roadkill from Twisted Metal with the rusting dark green paint job and all the paint on the hood chipped off as well, and this car was missing hub caps as well.

In 2010, I got my current car, a silver 2001 Toyota Camry from a dealership for $5,000 cash down, no monthly payments. When I got it, it had 106,000 miles on it and now it's at 170,000 miles and it never really had any serious problems other than a spark plug shooting out and tearing the socket threads while on a trip in Tennessee. Every once in a while it needs a tune-up or something, and other than an oxidation sensor that acted up sometimes when it gets rainy (hasn't done that in a few years now), the car runs like a charm. I keep up with the daily maintenance of it and will have to change the timing belt and water pump soon, but otherwise that car is great and I drive like an old lady in it. I don't think I ever paid more than $1,000 in actual repairs on it yet. It's also missing a hub cap, which just makes it look much more like a SouthsideDon48 car. ;-)

I basically refuse to ever buy a brand-new car if I can get a used car at a good value instead. My magic number tends to be cars that are at least 10 years old, because at that point I think you can really get a good value. I also refuse to take out a loan for a car and owe a monthly payment on it, I rather own a car free and clear and not have another monthly payment obligation to worry about. If I don't have the $5,000 cash to buy a decent car, then I would still rather take a gamble on an even older used car for $1k or $2k than to take out a loan. I feel like my thriftiness is a good thing, lol. My fiancee just got a 2014 Chevy Traverse with her money and she has to make $350 a month payments on it (she and I are opposites when it comes to cars, but we balance each other out), in fact, she's paying as much for her car as what our monthly mortgage payment is for our Oak Lawn condo, and our mortgage is $350 a month as well. (My low mortgage payment can be thanks to my thriftiness as well.) Bottom line, I always like to find a value and I refuse to pay full price for something brand new.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 13, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
I wonder if anyone's car habits are similar to mines:

I'm almost 31 years old and only had 3 cars ever.

First car was a hand-me-down silver 1990 Cadillac Deville that was my mom's old car that she let me have in 2002 after I got my license after she got another used car. Everything you could think of was wrong with that Cadillac: no heat, 2 doors stuck shut, and the transmission gave out to the point where I had to push it backwards out of parking spaces. I still loved that car, because I thought it looked awesome how it was missing some hub caps, outside door panels, and how it let out a trail of exhaust in the winter time like Uncle Buck's car from "Uncle Buck".

In 2003 or 2004, my neighbor sold me his dark green 1993 Toyota Camry for $1,000. It was a great car and I drove it until 2010 until the exhaust system gave out and I figured that it was too costly to get that fixed since it already had a leaky head gasket (had to pour oil into it once a week for 2 years) and it was at 244,000 miles. I even nicknamed this car Roadkill because it kinda looked like Roadkill from Twisted Metal with the rusting dark green paint job and all the paint on the hood chipped off as well, and this car was missing hub caps as well.

In 2010, I got my current car, a silver 2001 Toyota Camry from a dealership for $5,000 cash down, no monthly payments. When I got it, it had 106,000 miles on it and now it's at 170,000 miles and it never really had any serious problems other than a spark plug shooting out and tearing the socket threads while on a trip in Tennessee. Every once in a while it needs a tune-up or something, and other than an oxidation sensor that acted up sometimes when it gets rainy (hasn't done that in a few years now), the car runs like a charm. I keep up with the daily maintenance of it and will have to change the timing belt and water pump soon, but otherwise that car is great and I drive like an old lady in it. I don't think I ever paid more than $1,000 in actual repairs on it yet. It's also missing a hub cap, which just makes it look much more like a SouthsideDon48 car. ;-)

I basically refuse to ever buy a brand-new car if I can get a used car at a good value instead. My magic number tends to be cars that are at least 10 years old, because at that point I think you can really get a good value. I also refuse to take out a loan for a car and owe a monthly payment on it, I rather own a car free and clear and not have another monthly payment obligation to worry about. If I don't have the $5,000 cash to buy a decent car, then I would still rather take a gamble on an even older used car for $1k or $2k than to take out a loan. I feel like my thriftiness is a good thing, lol. My fiancee just got a 2014 Chevy Traverse with her money and she has to make $350 a month payments on it (she and I are opposites when it comes to cars, but we balance each other out), in fact, she's paying as much for her car as what our monthly mortgage payment is for our Oak Lawn condo, and our mortgage is $350 a month as well. (My low mortgage payment can be thanks to my thriftiness as well.) Bottom line, I always like to find a value and I refuse to pay full price for something brand new.

Oh SSD, how I've missed thee!

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
Oh SSD, how I've missed thee!

Hey dude. I was at Audi this week and checked out their next two years roadmap. Wow. They are stepping up their engine and tech game. Just wait until 2017-2018

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
Hey dude. I was at Audi this week and checked out their next two years roadmap. Wow. They are stepping up their engine and tech game. Just wait until 2017-2018

Yeah, for sure. I am hoping to order a TTRS in 2018 or so. For now, content to procure the next family truckster.

See anything you like?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Yeah, for sure. I am hoping to order a TTRS in 2018 or so. For now, content to procure the next family truckster.

See anything you like?

I cant say much because of my NDA, but lets just say they know where they are short (engine) and they are fixing it. The tech stuff is incredible. They are going after the X5 hard

After all the talk about how much money to put into a car, I want to add two things...

1. Everyone has something, or some things, they spend "extra" on. Clothing, travel, cars, whatever. I try not to judge it. For me personally, cars have never been something I felt the need to spend big on. My wife and I have very successful careers, and our cars have been Honda, Subaru, Ford and Saturn. Just my preference, because...

2. Cars are NOT investments. No matter how you feel about how much you want to spend or whats important, you should get yourself out of that mindset. Cars are COST CENTERS. That doesn't mean you can't blow some extra money on them if it makes you happy - but they are all depreciating assets with an increasing cost curve. Cost centers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
After all the talk about how much money to put into a car, I want to add two things...

1. Everyone has something, or some things, they spend "extra" on. Clothing, travel, cars, whatever. I try not to judge it. For me personally, cars have never been something I felt the need to spend big on. My wife and I have very successful careers, and our cars have been Honda, Subaru, Ford and Saturn. Just my preference, because...

2. Cars are NOT investments. No matter how you feel about how much you want to spend or whats important, you should get yourself out of that mindset. Cars are COST CENTERS. That doesn't mean you can't blow some extra money on them if it makes you happy - but they are all depreciating assets with an increasing cost curve. Cost centers.

Amen. And I would add for me they are tools. Even when I was a V.P. of a company I looked on my vehicle as a tool. For the past ten years or so I have needed something with towing capacity, five passenger comfort, and lots of carrying capacity. A pick up works perfectly. although a Suburban or Expedition would have also worked.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 18, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
Amen. And I would add for me they are tools. Even when I was a V.P. of a company I looked on my vehicle as a tool. For the past ten years or so I have needed something with towing capacity, five passenger comfort, and lots of carrying capacity. A pick up works perfectly. although a Suburban or Expedition would have also worked.

Sometimes when you drive alot that tool needs to be extremely comfy with lots of bells and whistles!!!