Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
The few times I've had it have been in rentals in California that were for long-ish drives. I dunno, maybe I just wasn't used to it.

I drive regularly up to 5 or 6 hours and its a godsend. I'm driving to Cincy this weekend and I get to rest my legs for hours at a time and the car does the work. Its amazing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
I drive regularly up to 5 or 6 hours and its a godsend. I'm driving to Cincy this weekend and I get to rest my legs for hours at a time and the car does the work. Its amazing.

I think if you are on the road for long hours like that, it is a great feature. I know for me, the one thing I kick myself is that I didn't shell out a little bit more for the extra smart driving features (vs. just the typical lane assist that I got). One option I should have added (problem was on the car I bought, they forced the moonroof and navigation system so it made the increase so much more and I'm such a cheap bastard).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
I think if you are on the road for long hours like that, it is a great feature. I know for me, the one thing I kick myself is that I didn't shell out a little bit more for the extra smart driving features (vs. just the typical lane assist that I got). One option I should have added (problem was on the car I bought, they forced the moonroof and navigation system so it made the increase so much more and I'm such a cheap bastard).

Yeah, they have gotten really clever about how they offer these packages. I ordered my car to spec, but even going that route requires you to upgrade to certain trim levels just to trigger the availability of certain other options.

One thing I have learned about driving with all these autonomous systems engaged, is that, other than failing to use my turn signal when changing lanes from time to time, I think I am a pretty solid driver. I haven't had any of these safety features really engage on me, such as the car slamming the brakes on me when attempting to make a left hand turn, or for getting too close to a vehicle ahead of me, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Yeah, they have gotten really clever about how they offer these packages. I ordered my car to spec, but even going that route requires you to upgrade to certain trim levels just to trigger the availability of certain other options.

One thing I have learned about driving with all these autonomous systems engaged, is that, other than failing to use my turn signal when changing lanes from time to time, I think I am a pretty solid driver. I haven't had any of these safety features really engage on me, such as the car slamming the brakes on me when attempting to make a left hand turn, or for getting too close to a vehicle ahead of me, etc.

My braking control is turned off but it still alarms and buzzes me from time to time. Although it annoying it really is a nice safety feature.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)

I LOVE this feature on my new Mazda, so glad I got it.

I've been checking out cars through Costco and it's been a great experience. Can jump in and out with low-set pricing.

Saw a vw sport wagen today. Was nice but I was shocked how tight the back seat was. Car seat was hitting the front seat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
I've been checking out cars through Costco and it's been a great experience. Can jump in and out with low-set pricing.

Saw a vw sport wagen today. Was nice but I was shocked how tight the back seat was. Car seat was hitting the front seat.

I have a friend who works for a dealership and he says they HATE when Costco members come in because they often end up making nothing or losing money on cars, and whatever price Costco says HAS to be honored or they breach contract and get in trouble.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)
I have a friend who works for a dealership and he says they HATE when Costco members come in because they often end up making nothing or losing money on cars, and whatever price Costco says HAS to be honored or they breach contract and get in trouble.

Sounds good to me.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)

Im gonna check this out today.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)

Can you provide what you saw for MSRP, Invoice and Costco pricing? Unfortunately they don't tell you online, and I'm super curious to see what the discount is like (though I'm sure it differs per car but to get a general idea).

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Yeah, I had no idea Costco got into the car business. Sounds like a pretty good deal from the consumer side. I'll definitely check it out.

I always see the cars at the store but honestly never checked them out, they usually have cars that I've had zero interest in which doesn't help (typically a lot of GM cars it seems like).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Can you provide what you saw for MSRP, Invoice and Costco pricing? Unfortunately they don't tell you online, and I'm super curious to see what the discount is like (though I'm sure it differs per car but to get a general idea).

Varies per car, but it has been between 200-500 below invoice. They actually give you a printout at store of MSRP, invoice, and savings.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
I always see the cars at the store but honestly never checked them out, they usually have cars that I've had zero interest in which doesn't help (typically a lot of GM cars it seems like).

This is different. You go to Costco Auto, you check out the cars you want, then if you want to see in person it sends you to a dealer where Costco has prenegotiated the price. They also have phone support where you can call to verify the price.

Costco makes no money on this it is just part of their perks program similar to AmEx.

I love Costco, they do everything right or fix it quickly when they screwed up.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)

For sportwagen SE :

MSRP: 28250

Invoice: 25948

Costco price: 24878

I started to do that Costco Auto process for a friend. I filled out the info of the car she wanted submitted it, and received a phone call the next day from the dealership that was selected. That guy called me one time, and one time only. I never replied, since she changed her mind, but he did not continue to harass me about buying a car, so I feel like that's probably a Costco influence as well.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
I started to do that Costco Auto process for a friend. I filled out the info of the car she wanted submitted it, and received a phone call the next day from the dealership that was selected. That guy called me one time, and one time only. I never replied, since she changed her mind, but he did not continue to harass me about buying a car, so I feel like that's probably a Costco influence as well.

Among other things, you don't even need to feel like you are worth the reps time if you don't want. They know you came for pricing, they offer it right away, you can leave right then. There's no "just get them in the door" feeling.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
bmags, have you checked the costco prices versus other similar, no-hassle set ups like edmunds?

I haven't. Frankly I just trust Costco so much that once I read up in it and saw it had great reviews that was enough for me. I also would call Costco and I was speaking to a person with all my info immediately.

Oh s***, the "unexpected Tesla reveal" tonight, which will be in just under 4 hours, is Model 3 Part 2!!! I'm losing my s*** right now. Most of us thought Part 2 of the reveal would be sometime in summer 2017. Weird how there wasn't much leading up to this, and by all rights, it's a much quieter reveal than part 1 was on March 31st, but still, I'm absolutely paralyzed with excitement to see what my future car will look like. :o :o :o :o :o

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Oh s***, the "unexpected Tesla reveal" tonight, which will be in just under 4 hours, is Model 3 Part 2!!! I'm losing my s*** right now. Most of us thought Part 2 of the reveal would be sometime in summer 2020. Weird how there wasn't much leading up to this, and by all rights, it's a much quieter reveal than part 1 was on March 31st, but still, I'm absolutely paralyzed with excitement to see what my future car will look like. :o :o :o :o :o