Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:47 PM)
Not shocked it's delayed, shocked it's delayed by 6-8 months.

The biggest reasons are apparently because they have now decided to make the Dual Motor variant BEFORE the Short Range battery (it was reversed), and they are also going to do international deliveries before that as well. So people in Canada saw their estimations MOVE UP 6-8 months.

For being a Day 1 reservation holder, it's a real kick in the dick to suddenly drop to the very end of the priority line.

They've done something like this for every major release, Tesla just can't hit their delivery dates here. Whatever the reason, they've been really poor in that area (and as someone who wants to see them succeed it's frustrating that they keep doing this).

Tesla seems to have done really well on the quality of their cars, but Musk has habitually underestimated what it takes to industrialize production of anything he's designed. Every single time, not just cars, and usually by a lot.

As soon as the Tesla 3 was announced and they said they got 300,000 orders with deposits in like the first 24 hours, my first thought was, it will take at least 5 years before he can produce enough cars to even come close to demand. Which means another 2-3 years beyond that to actually catch up because of the back log.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 01:06 PM)
Your alternator should've kept you going. You typically don't realize you have a dead battery until the next time you try to start it.

I wasn't moving when it died. I parked and was listening to something on the radio and two minutes later it went out.

I was embellishing a bit I guess.

Went to Sams and they installed a new one for only $99.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 03:15 PM)
I wasn't moving when it died. I parked and was listening to something on the radio and two minutes later it went out.

I was embellishing a bit I guess.

Went to Sams and they installed a new one for only $99.

About a year ago I had the batteries in both of my vehicles die on the exact same day. Luckily I was at home when it happened, but I had to call someone for a ride to get new ones. Then we sold one of the cars to my oldest daughter and got another vehicle. The battery on that died last December.

Then just a couple of weeks ago, one of the batteries that I had just replaced last year died. Luckily it was still under warranty so I got it replaced for free.

So now we have 3 vehicles at our house all with fairly new batteries still under warranty.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 03:39 PM)
About a year ago I had the batteries in both of my vehicles die on the exact same day. Luckily I was at home when it happened, but I had to call someone for a ride to get new ones. Then we sold one of the cars to my oldest daughter and got another vehicle. The battery on that died last December.

Then just a couple of weeks ago, one of the batteries that I had just replaced last year died. Luckily it was still under warranty so I got it replaced for free.

So now we have 3 vehicles at our house all with fairly new batteries still under warranty.

I always replace batteries in my car by myself, but last March my car was having issues that I didn't think was the battery. I got it towed to my mechanic and they told me it was just the battery, somehow.

Then this winter my car wouldn't hold a charge. I had to trickle charge it every night for a month before I finally took the time to bring it to my mechanic. After he looked at it, he walked back in to the shop laughing and told the guys to put a new battery in my car for free. Well....turns out when I brought the car in last March, they charged me for a new battery but FORGOT to replace it. Left the old one in. Somehow I lasted another 9 months before I had any more issues with it. And luckily for him he's buddies with my family and we all go to him, or else I would have f***ing exploded. He gave me a free oil change for the troubles, and I sold my trickle charger to my dad.

:chair

And now my car started shaking on the way to work and my Transmission Warning popped up. Yippee!

Taking in tomorrow. Starting gofundme cuz this will not be cheap. Hopefully just needs a flush.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 07:36 AM)
Heading to the auto show today to check out some cars for the wife. Focusing on the Sorrento, MDX and whatever other 3 row SUVs are around.

Friend from work has a Sorrento.....very nice looking SUV

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 05:36 PM)
Friend from work has a Sorrento.....very nice looking SUV

The push button transmission on the MDX eliminated it immediately. Such a dumb thing.

Nothing really groundbreaking in that category that I saw. Everyone was gathered around the new Traverse, but thats about it. The rest are pretty much the same as they have been.

Volvo has done some nice things with their interior, they are always so creative.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 05:34 AM)
The push button transmission on the MDX eliminated it immediately. Such a dumb thing.

Nothing really groundbreaking in that category that I saw. Everyone was gathered around the new Traverse, but thats about it. The rest are pretty much the same as they have been.

Volvo has done some nice things with their interior, they are always so creative.

Their interiors are among the best, if not the best in the business. I did read that Tesla recently poached their lead interior designer (not the right term).

When I was buying my Q7 I did a lot of research of comparisons with the XC90. As off a year or so ago, I know people were experiencing a lot of problems with them. It is a beautiful SUV though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 08:38 AM)
Their interiors are among the best, if not the best in the business. I did read that Tesla recently poached their lead interior designer (not the right term).

When I was buying my Q7 I did a lot of research of comparisons with the XC90. As off a year or so ago, I know people were experiencing a lot of problems with them. It is a beautiful SUV though.

The new interior on the 90 and 60 are f***ing gorgeous. We looked at the 60 for my wife and it was too small, and the 90 is a big large. The optional built in dog kennel was cool to see in person.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 06:41 AM)
The new interior on the 90 and 60 are f***ing gorgeous. We looked at the 60 for my wife and it was too small, and the 90 is a big large. The optional built in dog kennel was cool to see in person.

Oh wow! I wasn’t aware of the dog kennel option! Last time I heard of something like that I think was the Honda Element.

I’ll say I am pretty pleased with my Q7, with the exception of the brakes. About a month ago I had to have my front pads and rotors replaced already after 20k miles. I had prepaid for this, so it didn’t cost me anything (then), but it pisses me off. Am I going to end up replacing the damn rotors every 20k miles? May as well add like another $5-6k to the true cost of owning the thing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 08:55 AM)
Oh wow! I wasn’t aware of the dog kennel option! Last time I heard of something like that I think was the Honda Element.

I’ll say I am pretty pleased with my Q7, with the exception of the brakes. About a month ago I had to have my front pads and rotors replaced already after 20k miles. I had prepaid for this, so it didn’t cost me anything (then), but it pisses me off. Am I going to end up replacing the damn rotors every 20k miles? May as well add like another $5-6k to the true cost of owning the thing.

I think you need a dog fifth wheel so that wouldnt apply to you ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 08:55 AM)

Unless you have some really cheap rotors, they shouldn't need to be replaced nearly that often.

I always do my own and I try to get the better/higher prices pads and rotors. They usually come with a warranty as well. One of my cars I replaced the pads 2 or 3 times and they were always covered under the warranty.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 05:34 AM)

Having not researched the actual vehicles...I absolutely love the Volvo (White paint color) XC 90. It is just a beautiful vehicle. Maybe living where I am I'm just sick of seeing X5's and Mercedes SUV's and the occasional XC-90 just looks so nice (and their white is a very bright and sharp white paint).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 10:14 AM)
Having not researched the actual vehicles...I absolutely love the Volvo (White paint color) XC 90. It is just a beautiful vehicle. Maybe living where I am I'm just sick of seeing X5's and Mercedes SUV's and the occasions XC-90 just looks so nice (and their white is a very bright and sharp white paint).

Its an amazing looking car. I priced it out with a dealer and it was like 70k. Thats a pretty big investment for 3k/miles per year

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 07:21 AM)
Unless you have some really cheap rotors, they shouldn't need to be replaced nearly that often.

I always do my own and I try to get the better/higher prices pads and rotors. They usually come with a warranty as well. One of my cars I replaced the pads 2 or 3 times and they were always covered under the warranty.

They were the factory installed front set of rotors. I questioned how they could need to be replaced so quickly and was told that for the Q7, people were generally getting them replaced once every 12-18 months. It sounded ridiculous to me, but I don’t know anything. Given that I had prepaid for that maintenance, I didn’t put up much of a stink about it, but definitely need to do some research and see if this is indeed common on this vehicle.

This story sounds fishy to me. Dude drove 40 miles at 100 MPH with a "stuck" gas pedal. Apparently he was on the phone with a 9-1-1 operator for most of the time and it took the police deploying 3 spike strips to finally get him to stop.

Why didn't he 1) simply push the brake pedal down to activate the fail-safe the BMW spokesperson said his car is equipped with, 2) put the car into neutral or 3) shut the engine off?

Anyone of those options would have eventually stopped the vehicle.

Link