Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 12:02 PM)
This story sounds fishy to me. Dude drove 40 miles at 100 MPH with a "stuck" gas pedal. Apparently he was on the phone with a 9-1-1 operator for most of the time and it took the police deploying 3 spike strips to finally get him to stop.

Why didn't he 1) simply push the brake pedal down to activate the fail-safe the BMW spokesperson said his car is equipped with, 2) put the car into neutral or 3) shut the engine off?

Anyone of those options would have eventually stopped the vehicle.

Link

Does the electronic transmission allow you to shift into neutral at that speed? I know it wont let you shut the car off.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 07:10 PM)
Good time of the year to buy a car. Went to GMC today to look at the Acadia Denali and they were flat out slashing prices 15%

IN the search for a 3 row SUV she's eliminated Acura, Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Ford, Dodge, Mazda. Down to Toyota Highlander and GMC acadia

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 02:51 PM)
Rock, if you happen to know, any idea why she didn’t like the Mazda?

4 cylinder engine just didnt do it for her. The lag was pretty noticeable. Also they told us there was no second row captains chairs, so that eliminated the Kia as well

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)
IN the search for a 3 row SUV she's eliminated Acura, Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Ford, Dodge, Mazda. Down to Toyota Highlander and GMC acadia

Subaru also has a brand new one coming out, not sure if it's actually available yet though. Might be worth looking at, looking at the rest of your list.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 09:09 AM)
Subaru also has a brand new one coming out, not sure if it's actually available yet though. Might be worth looking at, looking at the rest of your list.

Actually heading in today to get final numbers from both dealers and making a decision, so its whatever is out now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 09:21 AM)
We have the Buick Enclave, it's great. I actually think the Acadia is basically the same car.

it's actually smaller. The Enclave shares a platform with the traverse. I sat in the buick, fantastic interior, but she felt it was slightly too big.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 07:27 AM)
it's actually smaller. The Enclave shares a platform with the traverse. I sat in the buick, fantastic interior, but she felt it was slightly too big.

It sounds as though your wife is quite a discerning car buyer ;)

• 1 month later...

New investigation: Tesla's safety problems start at the top.

Elon Musk doesn't like yellow, signs, or the backup beeping from forklifts, former safety team members say.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/tesla-sa...-off-the-books/

In her March 2017 resignation letter, White recounted the time she told her boss, Seth Woody, “that the plant layout was extremely dangerous to pedestrians.” Woody, head of the safety team, told her “that Elon didn’t want signs, anything yellow (like caution tape) or to wear safety shoes in the plant” and acknowledged it “was a mess,” she wrote.

6 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

Saw a Model 3 on the way home from work today.  I love the front.  6-8 months until @JoeCoolMan24 posts pictures, I hope!

What was the color? I'm almost certain I am going "midnight silver metallic", but as someone who loves white cares, whenever I see a white Tesla, my mind wanders a bit.

Midnight Metallic Silver w/ Chrome Delete

https://gallery.bayareadetails.com/Tesla/Tesla-Model-3/Tesla-Model-3-Midnight-Silver-Metallic-Stealth-PPF/

DSC03241-S.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking through some promo stuff Ford sent me on the new F-150. I've been considering the diesel but likely will wait until I retire and have more of a need for a diesel. What caught my eye was they are integrating Amazon Alexa into the truck. I use the hell out of mine at home and I'm thinking it would be great in the truck. Even better would be incorporating Waze navigation into the on board display. 

Leased a 2018 BMW i3s tonight. Been looking at them for a month or so. First electric vehicle!

Works perfect for our commute (11 miles each way), fun little car to drive, and I really love the way BMW built this car. 

Edited by iamshack
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 11:17 PM, iamshack said:

Leased a 2018 BMW i3s tonight. Been looking at them for a month or so. First electric vehicle!

Works perfect for our commute (11 miles each way), fun little car to drive, and I really love the way BMW built this car. 

Having only heard about them (in comparison to the Model 3), but having never seen one until I just googled it, I am shocked how small they are. I just assumed because it was BMW that it was a slick looking sports-car type. I don't think I understand the Model 3 comparisons anymore. Probably more closer to the Nissan Leaf and Prius when you include body style, which is fine, but just threw me off.