Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

15 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Someone asked me how much the registration will cost on the car, and being someone who has never bought a car before, and always had old cars, I shrugged my shoulders. She laughed and said "Okay, have fun with that!". Got curious and looked up registration on the car. Holy shiiiiiiiit. Looks like it will be about $700 for the first year. Then like $460 the following year, and dropping about $50 a year every year after that. Oh my fuck. Then there is also the $150 EV additional tax. 

I guess what I don't understand is, why do I have to pay such a crazy high price for a newer, high priced car? What difference does it make? They aren't offering my insurance on the car. They aren't protecting it in any way. So what does the value and age of it matter for registering the vehicle with the state of Indiana? 

Why pay a higher sales tax just because a car is worth more? I guess the theory is allow the poorest a break so they can drive and tax the people who can better afford it. 

On 6/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That's apparently what it is in Indiana too, based on MSRP. And being that my car is over $42,500, I am put in the very highest bracket. 

So it tapers?  Weird.  Texas is $100 a year I think.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, Texsox said:

Why pay a higher sales tax just because a car is worth more? I guess the theory is allow the poorest a break so they can drive and tax the people who can better afford it. 

Most successful modern societies have some level of "have more, pay more".  It's basically the way huge portions of society work.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:55 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

$4000

Welp, nevermind! 

So earlier in the week I noticed my account page was suddenly showing 19" sport wheels instead of the 18" aero wheels that I ordered. Not only that, but they tacked on the $1500 upcharge as well. So I called Tesla and pointed out the mistake. The lady was very confused how this happened, but went ahead and changed it back for me, both to the 18" wheels and the original price.

Then the next day I check my account again and notice that they applied a $1500 DISCOUNT to my total. It appears they were going to comp me the upgraded wheels (many speculate they are trying to hit their Q2 deadline of June 30th and don't have enough 18" wheels, so they want customers to take the 19" for free to deliver sooner). A couple of days go by and the discount is still on my account, even though the wheels were taken back. So I essentially got a free $1500 off the price.

Then TODAY I get a call from their sales team and they apologized for the delays. I bought the car on May 27th with a 2 week delivery time and it's been past 2 weeks and still no VIN or anything. So he told me that my exact configuration, but in an AWD version is on it's way to the MW right now, and I can have it within the week. The cost increase would be $2000 instead of $4000, because they would comp my paint color ($1000) and my interior color ($1000).

So an upgrade from RWD to AWD for $2000? Tempting, UNTIL I asked him to confirm the purchase price to me, and that it would only be $2000 more than my current price on my account. He said yes. That means my $1500 discount is still there! So now, it's essentially a $500 upcharge instead of $4000!

Needless to say, I told him yes. I'm pretty pumped!

17 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Welp, nevermind! 

So earlier in the week I noticed my account page was suddenly showing 19" sport wheels instead of the 18" aero wheels that I ordered. Not only that, but they tacked on the $1500 upcharge as well. So I called Tesla and pointed out the mistake. The lady was very confused how this happened, but went ahead and changed it back for me, both to the 18" wheels and the original price.

Then the next day I check my account again and notice that they applied a $1500 DISCOUNT to my total. It appears they were going to comp me the upgraded wheels (many speculate they are trying to hit their Q2 deadline of June 30th and don't have enough 18" wheels, so they want customers to take the 19" for free to deliver sooner). A couple of days go by and the discount is still on my account, even though the wheels were taken back. So I essentially got a free $1500 off the price.

Then TODAY I get a call from their sales team and they apologized for the delays. I bought the car on May 27th with a 2 week delivery time and it's been past 2 weeks and still no VIN or anything. So he told me that my exact configuration, but in an AWD version is on it's way to the MW right now, and I can have it within the week. The cost increase would be $2000 instead of $4000, because they would comp my paint color ($1000) and my interior color ($1000).

So an upgrade from RWD to AWD for $2000? Tempting, UNTIL I asked him to confirm the purchase price to me, and that it would only be $2000 more than my current price on my account. He said yes. That means my $1500 discount is still there! So now, it's essentially a $500 upcharge instead of $4000!

Needless to say, I told him yes. I'm pretty pumped!

That's awesome! You will definitely appreciate having AWD. Rear is a pain in the ass in during winter.

Ok car junkies, help me narrow the list:

Audi A6

BMW 5 series

Mercedes E-Class

Honda Accord

Mazda 6

Something else?

Obviously there is a line there between classes. 

I drive on average less than 10 miles a day (basically to my kids' daycare/school, to my parking space at my Metra station, and then back home), but 5-6 days or so a month i'm driving 60-80 miles in a day. Fuel efficiency isn't a great concern given this. I need something mid-size to handle two car seats in the back. I also don't want to break the bank for something i'll use very little, so i'm looking to spend $30k-ish and am happy to buy something a few years old. It looks like I can easily find a 2016 or 2017 A6, a 2016 5-series or a 2016 E-class with about 20-25k miles for at or under $30k. Alternatively, completely decked out 2019 Accords and Mazda 6's can be had for $35k or under (list price, so even less).

Haven't gone out to test drive anything yet, but will in the next few weeks. Has anyone done any similar search for a mid-sized sedan recently? Is the jump from Honda/Mazda to the luxury class that great? Ideally i'd love something fun to drive, but, again, not being in the car THAT much, I dunno how important that is. 

Edited by Jenksismyhero

10 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Ok car junkies, help me narrow the list:

Audi A6

BMW 5 series

Mercedes E-Class

Honda Accord

Mazda 6

Something else?

Obviously there is a line there between classes. 

I drive on average less than 10 miles a day (basically to my kids' daycare/school, to my parking space at my Metra station, and then back home), but 5-6 days or so a month i'm driving 60-80 miles in a day. Fuel efficiency isn't a great concern given this. I need something mid-size to handle two car seats in the back. I also don't want to break the bank for something i'll use very little, so i'm looking to spend $30k-ish and am happy to buy something a few years old. It looks like I can easily find a 2016 or 2017 A6, a 2016 5-series or a 2016 E-class with about 20-25k miles for at or under $30k. Alternatively, completely decked out 2019 Accords and Mazda 6's can be had for $35k or under (list price, so even less).

Haven't gone out to test drive anything yet, but will in the next few weeks. Has anyone done any similar search for a mid-sized sedan recently? Is the jump from Honda/Mazda to the luxury class that great? Ideally i'd love something fun to drive, but, again, not being in the car THAT much, I dunno how important that is. 

Get a Chevy Volt. You'll fill up gas every other month with your usage.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If he's willing to make the jump to 100% electric, sure. But for a lot of people I know, it makes them nervous to have to plan out their mileage more than they do with gas.

Based on the driving habits he described, it should be no problem. 

• 1 month later...

My gf drives an early 2010's Nissan Altima (if that matters). Her driver side window stopped working. For a period of time, she would be able to open it and then sometimes she wouldn't be able to close it. So I don't think it's a matter of a cable or something being disconnected. Anyone have experience with an issue like this? Google responses are too cluttered. 

• 4 weeks later...

On Friday my wife and I traded in our 2003 Suburban for a 2014 Traverse. We had been searching for about a year or so and just on a whim, decided to go talk to my foster brother who is a car salesman. 

We looked at one but it didn't have all the features we wanted and had over 100,000 miles. Then we looked at a Ford Explorer. It was ok but I really didn't want another V8 that would suck up a ton of gas, plus it also had over 100,000 miles. Then we looked at the only other Traverse they had and it had literally every single feature we were looking for.

AWD, towing package, remote start, heated seats and it was an 8 passenger while the first one was only a 7 passenger. Plus it had under 50,000 miles and was priced under $20,000. One-owner and obviously garage-kept because it is exceptionally clean. 

After going back and forth with the financials we finally got it where we were comfortable and drove it home that night. Only got $1000 for trade-in value on the Suburban but it needed a bunch of repairs including the A/C system not working and more than likely 4 new tires. So I figured that was about fair.

My youngest daughter will be driving soon so we figure she can have the car and I'll make this my daily driver.

The color was listed as champagne silver metallic.

traverse2.PNG

Edited by Iwritecode

• 4 weeks later...

Massive update coming to Tesla's with V10 rolling out this week.

Among additions....

- Netflix, Hulu, Youtube

- Spotify

- Remote open/close of garage door

- Remote open/close/vent of windows

- Max defrost button for the winter

- Car-aoke. Exactly what it sounds like.

- Cuphead video game

- Smart Summon (Car will come to your location within a couple hundred feet. Good for rainy/snowy days when the car can pick you up a the front door of a business).

- Rear facing camera recording during Sentry Mode

- "Car wash mode" no idea what that is yet

- Improved maps with clickable business information

I can't friggin wait to receive the notification for the update. 😍

• 1 month later...

Doing some rough math.....

I have driven 5,700 miles so far in my EV since getting it a little over 4 months ago. Assuming I was still driving my old ICE car, which let's say got about 25 MPG (Which I'm guessing it did not because of an issue it had that directly affects MPG efficiency), and let's say the average gas price this fall has been $2.40. That means 5700 miles divided by 25 MPG is 228 gallons of gas used. 228 gallons multiplied by $2.40 per gallon equals about $550. I have spent $0 to charge my car.

So I've saved about $550 so far to run my EV, on pace for about $1500 over the course of a year.

Obviously the upfront cost to own is big, but once you start factoring in no oil changes, no brake pad replacements, and hardly any maintenance at all, the cost of ownership is very good when compared to ICE luxury cars.