Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

19 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Doing some rough math.....

I have driven 5,700 miles so far in my EV since getting it a little over 4 months ago. Assuming I was still driving my old ICE car, which let's say got about 25 MPG (Which I'm guessing it did not because of an issue it had that directly affects MPG efficiency), and let's say the average gas price this fall has been $2.40. That means 5700 miles divided by 25 MPG is 228 gallons of gas used. 228 gallons multiplied by $2.40 per gallon equals about $550. I have spent $0 to charge my car.

So I've saved about $550 so far to run my EV, on pace for about $1500 over the course of a year.

Obviously the upfront cost to own is big, but once you start factoring in no oil changes, no brake pad replacements, and hardly any maintenance at all, the cost of ownership is very good when compared to ICE luxury cars.

Where do you charge your car if you get it for 0?

Random story that probably no one will read:

August 2018. Fall semester about to begin, commute of 45 minutes each way. Had a pretty nice 07 Mazda6 with only like 80k miles. Had it parked outside my residence, boom, someone rammed into it and it was a total loss.

Decided to go ahead and take the insurance money, do a little loan and grab a '14 Mazda3 that had only 23k miles on it for a decent deal (for a dealership lol). Made it through the year. Fast forward Labor Day 2019. Someone hits my car in the rear, again while it is parked. Damage is somewhat minimal and car is driveable, but the person who hit me had garbage insurance and the process is quite drawn out and incomplete.

Fast forward to early October. Car is again, parked, this time at school. Someone rams into the front of it and pushes it half a parking spot. Laugh out loud. WTF? Weird ass luck.

The combination of both damages make it a total loss. Got a pretty decent check for it as it still only had 41k miles on it.

Gonna try a Civic Si this time. Wish me better luck. 

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The Tesla Supercharger I pass on my way to and from work. I stop by once a week and charge for about 35 minutes or so while I watch I watch Netflix on the center screen.

Nice. The chicago area is good for this. A good number of the chargers.

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

Nice. The chicago area is good for this. A good number of the chargers.

And the roadtrips we've taken, both short (Indy) and far (Nashville, then Charlotte) have all been covered by the supercharing network as well. I had to use my first non-Tesla charger on Sunday down in Greencastle Indiana, and it too was free.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/12/2013 at 3:52 PM, DukeNukeEm said:

They're actually more like $80k with any sort of meaningful options before a nice government subsidized $7500 tax credit. By the way, complaining that poor little Tesla cannot be compared to the larger companies when 10% of every sale is incentivized by the government and the company itself spent all of its life except the past 6 months suckling on some form of green initiative teat doesn't fly with me. Their lack of innovation annoys the crap out of me.

Tesla is raking in because they're a new domestic carmaker that gets some really great publicity, but eventually they're going to have put something out that's better than the rest if they want to compete. I dont see the Model S nor Model X doing that much longer.

Whoops

On 8/8/2013 at 3:36 PM, DukeNukeEm said:

Tesla's are colossal pieces of junk. I've seen more Model S's being towed than I've seen driving. If you want to enjoy its giggle-inducing torque curve (the thing is singe speed) you'll get maybe 20 minutes out of the battery hammering it and an inevitable breakdown to follow. Amenities suck for a luxury sedan too, you can get more out of a $50k Lexus in terms of car and unless you plan on spending $30kish in gas over the life of your car (and never plan on actually going anywhere) you still come out ahead with more car going with the ICE. 

The Volt is the only one worth buying, especially now with $5k off. It'll work most of the time, you can actually drive the damn thing without a doomsday clock and they've worked out the issues. Plus its a very nice car to be in.

Either way, my suggestion is get a RWD car with a peppy straight 4 and demand a 6 speed manual transmission. Vote with your wallet to get these car companies off their ass and making something a little more inspiring than bad Prius trims or ugly, unreliable, boring to drive s***box electric cars.

Is this guy still around? 😂

On 8/23/2013 at 1:07 PM, DukeNukeEm said:

I'm not going to comment on Tesla anymore. There's all sorts of incredible things happening around the auto industry and the fascination people have with a niche manufacturer (not even the coolest niche manufacturer either, look up Morgan) takes attention away from some much more interesting changes.

This guy was really on top of it.

• 4 months later...

I appreciate the cult like following some owners have for their cars. I was never a car guy and find it interesting. It doesn't really matter if it's one of those Ford pissing on a Chevy sticker or other car owners that know every driver that drives for "their" brand. I can't think of anything guys obsess over more. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I appreciate the cult like following some owners have for their cars. I was never a car guy and find it interesting. It doesn't really matter if it's one of those Ford pissing on a Chevy sticker or other car owners that know every driver that drives for "their" brand. I can't think of anything guys obsess over more. 

Same. A car gets me from point A to point B and back. I just want something reliable and comfortable. 

18 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yesterday was my 1 year with my Model 3. Cost of ownership so far has been 1 bottle of windshield washer fluid.

Plus electricity, plus license plate and registration fees, plus insurance, plus tolls (maybe), plus any loan interest (if not bought with cash), plus potentially any village/city sticker fees, etc.

I like Tesla and my next vehicle is likely to be a PHEV or possibly an EV, but let's be real here if you are going to talk "cost of ownership".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Texsox said:

I was this way and still am this way (i don't know anything nor car much beyond "ooh this is fast and my head doesn't hit the ceiling when I hit a bump unlike my 2008 toyota yaris"), but we got a 2017 volvo xc90 with our car settlement and gotta tell ya, much nicer having some space in a car, a nice quiet ride, and some subtle nice stuff to treat the driver to. I used to hate SUVs, and never expected something this nice. Daddington island changes stuff.

I went from driving small sedans/hatchbacks to a mid size SUV a few years back, it's been huge to have especially since buying a house to lug bigger purchases home in and such.  I would love to get to a point where I have a cheap pickup truck for house projects and then a normal smaller car, but not at that point yet.

14 minutes ago, bigruss said:

I went from driving small sedans/hatchbacks to a mid size SUV a few years back, it's been huge to have especially since buying a house to lug bigger purchases home in and such.  I would love to get to a point where I have a cheap pickup truck for house projects and then a normal smaller car, but not at that point yet.

After we got the mini-van as a family vehicle, I traded down from my Impala to a Jetta for my work car.  I love the savings for sure.  The crazy thing is we are about two years from kids starting to drive so we have to start thinking about that.

15 minutes ago, bigruss said:

One of my prejudices around them for a while was I felt like our Yaris (hatchback) actually had better storage space than many compact suvs just because the trunk was a straight-up cube - no obstruction completely flat on the ground. Definitely with something like the Rav-4 it felt like we had more ability to stuff the yaris up with stuff, even many sedans felt like they had more ability than some of the compact ones.

But yeah that's not the case with all of them, and holy crap the full size ones are going from a sardine can to a costco jar of beans.

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Plus electricity, plus license plate and registration fees, plus insurance, plus tolls (maybe), plus any loan interest (if not bought with cash), plus potentially any village/city sticker fees, etc.

I like Tesla and my next vehicle is likely to be a PHEV or possibly an EV, but let's be real here if you are going to talk "cost of ownership".

I think it was easy to interpret what he meant was that the cost of ownership compared to a regular vehicle.  Obviously much less maintenance and fuel costs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigruss said:

After getting my first pickup I can't imagine not owning one. I have a travel trailer to tow so that almost automatically puts me in a truck. Best of all is heading to the bulk supplier for mulch, grabbing a sheet of plywood, etc. is so convenient. Plus five passenger comfort. Literally I can fit three adults in the back seat and they aren't touching and they have leg room. My son has a Tesla and they are heading on a trip today. They have to plan a 30 minute stop at a Super Charger midway on the trip. Then hope the destination charger at the hotel isn't being used. He's also planning a trip this summer and the route is being dictated by super chargers. I'm not ready yet to give up my back roads driving. 

I'm brand agnostic in about everything. In cars I can think of at least six brands I've owned. I was thinking there has to be at least a couple examples but about all I can think of is if I'm playing for anything important I'll be playing a Titleist ProV1. My last four cell phones have been Samsung and Mr. Davis and Tommy Bahama dress me most days. 

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

I think it was easy to interpret what he meant was that the cost of ownership compared to a regular vehicle.  Obviously much less maintenance and fuel costs.

No doubt. There does seem to be a greater investment in time and convenience. 

4 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Even then it isn't the same though. Insurance is a funny animal - how much more or less does this car cost to insure versus previous? License costs different too. But really I was sort of taken aback that he completely left out electricity, which is essentially the fuel for the car.

For the record I already own a PHEV and love it, and it is indeed much cheaper to own than our previous vehicle all-in.