Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

16 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Looks like I may be getting a vehicle. Anyone have opinions on CX-5 or Tiguan? Also considering Rav4, Forrester etc.

Interested in responses to this as well, I think the CX-5 and Tiguan look great from the outside.  I know my brother just bought a Rav4, I'll see what he thinks of it.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Never driven either, but the CRV was a great vehicle in that same family.

I'm looking a Tucson. Shitty time to be buying a used car, prices have gone up 20-30% the last couple months. 

16 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Looks like I may be getting a vehicle. Anyone have opinions on CX-5 or Tiguan? Also considering Rav4, Forrester etc.

So my brother got the Rav4 hybrid, said he's been really happy with it and getting great mileage.  Though he wishes he went for their Prime plugin hybrid.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

As small as the spread is anymore, you might as well buy new.

It's laughable, 3-4 year old cars with 40k miles on them and mayyyybe $5k in difference, and thats MSRP.  Warranties and negotiations alone make that up.

1 minute ago, bigruss said:

It's laughable, 3-4 year old cars with 40k miles on them and mayyyybe $5k in difference, and thats MSRP.  Warranties and negotiations alone make that up.

We will need to get something next year, as my 15 year old will probably be taking over my car at that point.  Hopefully this has cooled down by then, and some sanity comes back to the market.  We have a great lot in town that sells cars in the 2-3 years old range for usually pretty decent deals, but if I had to look today, I would buy brand new, and get all of the extras that go with it for the minimal price difference.

5 hours ago, bigruss said:

Interested in responses to this as well, I think the CX-5 and Tiguan look great from the outside.  I know my brother just bought a Rav4, I'll see what he thinks of it.

I checked out a Rav4 but the dealership told me people were spending over MSRP and mentioned someone paid $8k over. I told them I wouldnt be spending over MSRP. Originally the Rav4 hybrid was one that I was considering. 

And yah used car makes no sense right now unless you really just cant fit a new car in your budget.

Edited by Soxbadger

34 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I checked out a Rav4 but the dealership told me people were spending over MSRP and mentioned someone paid $8k over. I told them I wouldnt be spending over MSRP. Originally the Rav4 hybrid was one that I was considering. 

And yah used car makes no sense right now unless you really just cant fit a new car in your budget.

It is interesting what even 2 months make. I bought a new Highlander Hybrid 2-3 months ago and I still get some of the emails from places I had reached out to.  I got in before the chip shortgage hit the prices (barely) - but got a fantastic deal (20% off).  I also had gotten my father in law a deal (did the negotiation for him) on a Rav 4 - it was similar - about 20% off.  

I think if you are patient - you can see something similar on the Rav 4. It has to happen.  But they incentives and deals I had gotten are long gone.    

23 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

WHAAAAAT, that's insane.  I would never pay MSRP and even more insane to pay over it.  Paying 8k over MSRP is just ridiculous, cars aren't houses.  I also think this is where a Costco deal would make sense, where they have agreements on price patterns to give you good, but not amazing deals.  If there's a local toyota dealer that works with costco's auto program then you could have a no-negotiation deal that is under MSRP.  I know when I looked at Audi's years ago, it was $500 below invoice so it was easy to figure out pricing.

I may actually look at some lease deals, but I'm always nervous those advertised ones aren't real.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:51 PM, bigruss said:

WHAAAAAT, that's insane.  I would never pay MSRP and even more insane to pay over it.  Paying 8k over MSRP is just ridiculous, cars aren't houses.  I also think this is where a Costco deal would make sense, where they have agreements on price patterns to give you good, but not amazing deals.  If there's a local toyota dealer that works with costco's auto program then you could have a no-negotiation deal that is under MSRP.  I know when I looked at Audi's years ago, it was $500 below invoice so it was easy to figure out pricing.

I may actually look at some lease deals, but I'm always nervous those advertised ones aren't real.

I know Ford and other manufacturers have suspended their discount programs.   

Saw Hyundai has a great incentive of $4250 and 1.9 interest rate for 2020 Santa Fe’s, found a somewhat local dealer with one discounted after being used as a loaner, so jumped on it.  Got it for thousands less than what 2020 used models are going for.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigruss said:

Saw Hyundai has a great incentive of $4250 and 1.9 interest rate for 2020 Santa Fe’s, found a somewhat local dealer with one discounted after being used as a loaner, so jumped on it.  Got it for thousands less than what 2020 used models are going for.

Congratulations

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigruss said:

Congrats - my sister in law has that exact year Sante fe, she likes it a lot and personally I think they are one of the better looking suvs on the road. 

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Congrats - my sister in law has that exact year Sante fe, she likes it a lot and personally I think they are one of the better looking suvs on the road. 

Yea I really liked the exterior styling and the interior is well thought out.  Ended up getting an SEL with convenience and premium pkgs, didn't think I would get that much in this purchase but the discount was too good to pass up, a version without those pkgs would have been thousands more.

Anyone have experience vinyl wrapping parts of a vehicle? My wife isn't as excited about the white truck as I am. I'm thinking of doing a charcoal black carbon fiber vinyl along the bottom edge. The truck is over 20' long so I see her point. There are some curves to negotiate but I'm estimating under $300 versus $$$$ for paint. I'm not thinking full wrap,  just from a bend in the body down. 

So far I've added a bed mat,  Truxedo tonneau cover,  some cargo management stuff, Husky floor liners for camping. I'm really liking Android Auto on a 12" display. 

On 5/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, Chisoxfn said:

It is interesting what even 2 months make. I bought a new Highlander Hybrid 2-3 months ago and I still get some of the emails from places I had reached out to.  I got in before the chip shortgage hit the prices (barely) - but got a fantastic deal (20% off).  I also had gotten my father in law a deal (did the negotiation for him) on a Rav 4 - it was similar - about 20% off.  

I think if you are patient - you can see something similar on the Rav 4. It has to happen.  But they incentives and deals I had gotten are long gone.    

I got the tiguan r line. 1st dealer said they'd do $500 off sticker. 2nd dealer I got $2k off sticker plus 0% financing.

I was pretty close to punting buying for 3-6 months, but there is a lot of uncertainty in the market and it was the salesperson first sale, he was a navy vet and it was memorial day.

Also car insurance came in $40 per month cheaper so that was a nice surprise.

Biggest annoyance was they charged $800 for nitrous filled tires. Which I really didnt even want.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I got the tiguan r line. 1st dealer said they'd do $500 off sticker. 2nd dealer I got $2k off sticker plus 0% financing.

I was pretty close to punting buying for 3-6 months, but there is a lot of uncertainty in the market and it was the salesperson first sale, he was a navy vet and it was memorial day.

Also car insurance came in $40 per month cheaper so that was a nice surprise.

Biggest annoyance was they charged $800 for nitrous filled tires. Which I really didnt even want.

It is amazing what dealers find new ways to charge for - especially since you can just go to any costco and get nitrogen in your tire for free.  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is amazing what dealers find new ways to charge for - especially since you can just go to any costco and get nitrogen in your tire for free.  

Basically none of the numbers matched at all from what they first showed me. Its pretty crazy right now, will be interesting to see how the next few months go. 

9 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

You guys realize that nitrogen-filled tires is a complete scam right? It does absolutely nothing useful for you.

The air you are breathing right now has about 78% nitrogen in it already. Just fill up with regular free air from a gas station or buy a small compressor for like $30.

• Love 1

Nitrogen expands and contracts more evenly than air, so race cars typically use it because they're dialing in the psi's very very precisely. That's where it all started. For passenger vehicles it really doesn't make much sense. Who cares if your tire's psi is 40 or 42 when it's up to temp?

edit: Nitrous filled tires would be...very very bad in the event of an accident!

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Nitrogen expands and contracts more evenly than air, so race cars typically use it because they're dialing in the psi's very very precisely. That's where it all started. For passenger vehicles it really doesn't make much sense. Who cares if your tire's psi is 40 or 42 when it's up to temp?

edit: Nitrous filled tires would be...very very bad in the event of an accident!

It's also not flammable which is a plus when you have numerous tanks of the stuff around hot race car engines. But again for normal everyday use it's absolutely not worth paying extra for.

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

It's also not flammable which is a plus when you have numerous tanks of the stuff around hot race car engines. But again for normal everyday use it's absolutely not worth paying extra for.

When I was in HS, I took my car to a local oil change place and they sold me on it (helping with MPG, etc).  $40 lesson right there.  Funny thing, pretty sure I just topped them off down the road with an air compressor when at home anyways, so yea, really negated the whole thing.  Parents gave me a good ribbing on that.

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

You guys realize that nitrogen-filled tires is a complete scam right? It does absolutely nothing useful for you.

The air you are breathing right now has about 78% nitrogen in it already. Just fill up with regular free air from a gas station or buy a small compressor for like $30.

1 minute ago, bigruss said:

When I was in HS, I took my car to a local oil change place and they sold me on it (helping with MPG, etc).  $40 lesson right there.  Funny thing, pretty sure I just topped them off down the road with an air compressor when at home anyways, so yea, really negated the whole thing.  Parents gave me a good ribbing on that.

Hence my point - crazy what some places charge for something you can literally get for free at Costco (or as you all point out - that benefits are minimal at best and can just top off).