Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Hence my point - crazy what some places charge for something you can literally get for free at Costco (or as you all point out - that benefits are minimal at best and can just top off).  

Trust me, big Costco fan here and I've used their tire services a lot 😃  Wish they did more car services as well, would trust them over many other places.  

Leased a 2020 CRV in January.  Got a pretty decent deal.  Once the lease is up I may be underwater but it's a really good car so we will most likely keep it and pay dearly for a couple of years but for cash flow purposes a three year lease worked best as the stimulus money paid the initial fee.

First new/nice car we have had in 20 years.  On the highway the thing drives itself. 

3 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

You guys realize that nitrogen-filled tires is a complete scam right? It does absolutely nothing useful for you.

The air you are breathing right now has about 78% nitrogen in it already. Just fill up with regular free air from a gas station or buy a small compressor for like $30.

I didnt want nitrous tires. Every car in the lot already had them. Throughout the entire process I kept saying that Id prefer regular tires.

Ironically the sales manager now needs my assistance for some legal stuff. I joked with him that Id only help if he told me how much they really made on my sale. 

24 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Leased a 2020 CRV in January.  Got a pretty decent deal.  Once the lease is up I may be underwater but it's a really good car so we will most likely keep it and pay dearly for a couple of years but for cash flow purposes a three year lease worked best as the stimulus money paid the initial fee.

First new/nice car we have had in 20 years.  On the highway the thing drives itself. 

Nice congrats!  I like the CRV quite a bit, it's really gotten better through the years.

39 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I didnt want nitrous tires. Every car in the lot already had them. Throughout the entire process I kept saying that Id prefer regular tires.

Ironically the sales manager now needs my assistance for some legal stuff. I joked with him that Id only help if he told me how much they really made on my sale. 

Honestly, they probably just put those stupid green valve caps on them and just tell everyone they put nitrogen in them. Who's really going to check? :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Honestly, they probably just put those stupid green valve caps on them and just tell everyone they put nitrogen in them. Who's really going to check? :lol:

I told him Im going to get some balloons and put that nitrous to use...

• Haha 1

Nitrogen in mine as well. Not specifically listed anywhere in the price so it might have been built into the dealer prep. They tried getting me for the $2,500 fabric and paint protection package. It didn’t take long to have it at about $250. 

Back to nitrogen, one of the green dust caps fell off after a couple days, instead of just grabbing some plain ones of course I bought cooler ones with a N2 logo. So I’m a sucker.

The only advantage I can see, we’ll possibly two are they will hold pressure longer. Folks who do not regularly check tire pressure will be riding on properly inflated tires longer and in theory save money on fuel and their tires may last marginally longer and be safer. Folks who use a tire gauge monthly won’t see a benefit.

The second benefit I may receive is more consistent pressure when summer towing especially at elevation. Again, I would not pay extra for nitrogen but if I do oil changes at my dealer they will add nitrogen at no cost. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've used my Pro Trailer Assist a couple times now and I'm sold. I've been backing in trailers for 40 years so I know how,  but this system makes life so much easier. That and the 360° camera package is pretty sweet. 

Basically instead of the large steering wheel grab a small knob and start backing up. Once you are lined up let go of the knob and just use the brake and accelerator. 

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, ptatc said:

To break myself out if the depression from the Sox playoff performance, we went and bought a Tesla. I got to say it's more impressive than I thought. The acceleration and ride are unbelievable. 

So my mom just got a Model 3 - not more than 2 weeks in and she wrecked it (everyone okay).  I was there when she took the car - I guess i learned I'm old school in certain ways but I remember telling her are you sure you want this car as they were doing the whole demo (she isn't super old but is still on the older side but can use tech...not great but uses it). The whole look at the center screen for everything (speedometer, lane change assist) is just ass backwards for me. The massive screen is awesome - but I don't quite get why you don't have the gauges or a good heads up display (maybe they have them on more upgraded vehicles...I'm a novice so no idea cause I've never been in the market for one) and it makes no sense why you wouldn't put the little orange lights in the side of the mirrors.

I will say when I drove it - the actual car drove really nice and I am sure it is one of those things that once you drive it a few weeks you get used to it.  The actual features and what you got for the price were really really good though.  I could also see liking the fact that you can do the whole one pedal driving once you adjust to the whole concept of car slows down immediately when you take your foot off the break.  

Long story short - I think Tesla could be the most amazing car on the planet if they just learned and refined some of the ergonomic / common sense items I mentioned above, which when you combine it with the amazing tech and fact that the car is literally maintenance free (except tires) and I get the hype.  I would now say (which is a counter from my many posts) - that I would at least consider one if they had the right SUV for me when I am back in the market in a few years...but the price point on that is not nearly as attractive to me vs. the model 3.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

So my mom just got a Model 3 - not more than 2 weeks in and she wrecked it (everyone okay).  I was there when she took the car - I guess i learned I'm old school in certain ways but I remember telling her are you sure you want this car as they were doing the whole demo (she isn't super old but is still on the older side but can use tech...not great but uses it). The whole look at the center screen for everything (speedometer, lane change assist) is just ass backwards for me. The massive screen is awesome - but I don't quite get why you don't have the gauges or a good heads up display (maybe they have them on more upgraded vehicles...I'm a novice so no idea cause I've never been in the market for one) and it makes no sense why you wouldn't put the little orange lights in the side of the mirrors.

I will say when I drove it - the actual car drove really nice and I am sure it is one of those things that once you drive it a few weeks you get used to it.  The actual features and what you got for the price were really really good though.  I could also see liking the fact that you can do the whole one pedal driving once you adjust to the whole concept of car slows down immediately when you take your foot off the break.  

Yep. It does take a little getting used to especially for an old guy like me. A heads up display would be cool with it.

You don't have to do the one pedal driving if you don't want to. You can set it to drive like a regular car and use the brake. You don't get as much of the regenerative energy back into the battery though.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:49 PM, Chisoxfn said:

Long story short - I think Tesla could be the most amazing car on the planet if they just learned and refined some of the ergonomic / common sense items I mentioned above, which when you combine it with the amazing tech and fact that the car is literally maintenance free (except tires) and I get the hype.  I would now say (which is a counter from my many posts) - that I would at least consider one if they had the right SUV for me when I am back in the market in a few years...but the price point on that is not nearly as attractive to me vs. the model 3.  

Not having gauges and speedometer are really not a big deal. Took maybe a week to get used to.

Not having the side mirror thing is definitely a weird thing though. I would have liked to had that little convenient feature.

I pulled the trigger on a Model Y last night. Looking to delay delivery until the 4680 cells start being produced in them. Hopefully that's by next summer. Carvana is currently offering my $47K for my 2019 Model 3 and I only paid $46K for it 2 years ago ($50K with taxes/fees), so my loan won't really change.

Also hoping new EV incentives will be in place by the first of the year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Soxtalk!  I need some help.  I'm starting a new gig on August 15th.  I need to rent/lease a car for the role.  I would only need it for about a year until my family would buy a home closer to the gig.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed with obtaining a vehicle?  I know it's somewhat vague, but any tips will help.

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Hello Soxtalk!  I need some help.  I'm starting a new gig on August 15th.  I need to rent/lease a car for the role.  I would only need it for about a year until my family would buy a home closer to the gig.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed with obtaining a vehicle?  I know it's somewhat vague, but any tips will help.

Thanks in advance!

Basically you have three options. I'm assuming you're trying to be economical here. 

Your cost of ownership beyond gas and general maintenance will be repairs and depreciation. You could go cheap with a higher mileage, cheaper car, and gamble on repairs. Your initial cost will be lower, but your depreciation with be higher.

The second route is a higher quality car that historically holds it's value. The depreciation will be better but you will be tying up more capital. 

You may find a smaller, independent, dealer willing to do a one year lease on a used car. 

15 hours ago, Texsox said:

Basically you have three options. I'm assuming you're trying to be economical here. 

Your cost of ownership beyond gas and general maintenance will be repairs and depreciation. You could go cheap with a higher mileage, cheaper car, and gamble on repairs. Your initial cost will be lower, but your depreciation with be higher.

The second route is a higher quality car that historically holds it's value. The depreciation will be better but you will be tying up more capital. 

You may find a smaller, independent, dealer willing to do a one year lease on a used car. 

Thanks for the info.  Maybe some clarity into my situation will help with offering specific advice.  So my wife and I currently own a car, but we just had a newborn so I want that vehicle to remain available to her in case of emergencies.  I just got offered a gig but it's in the deep burbs and quite the jaunt.  I live close the UP-N METRA line so I wanted to take the express train daily to the a station, and then drive the rest of the way.  I would be leaving say vehicle at the overnight parking in a nice north-shore suburb.  This would only need to happen for a year before we buy a house that is closer or more accessible via the METRA.  I don't believe we need a new car, we can afford one but still, you just don't want to buy things just because you can.  I thought about buying a used car for year but I don't know what I would do with it afterwards.  Renting is an option but it's still way more expensive for a year than buying a used car.  I am leaning toward buying an older beater used car but I run the risk of it not working and then being somewhat stranded getting to work.  There are a plethora of options but I'm just not sure which would be the most economically sound.

That's why I'm thinking a three to four year old vehicle with a strong history of holding it's value. Since parking is an issue I would avoid the pickups like the Tundra. Possibly look at a Jeep Wagoneer or Ford Mustang, possible a Toyota or Honda. 

You'd be hitting the sweet spot of value. The car depreciates the most at the beginning and end of it's lifespan. So driving it from say 60,000 miles to 75,000 miles would be the most economical. 

The other option is keeping that one after the move and selling your current car. 

Did you calculate the cost of an Uber? I know of one Uber driver that has a regular trip "off books" that started after he picked up the same guy a few days in a row. 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, pettie4sox said:

Taking a uber daily would be too pricey.  I'll think we might shoot for the range you listed.  Although used cars in that area are quite expensive these days!

They are. The thought is a quality $35,000 used car may be worth $32,000 in a year. That $7,000 may be worth $2,000 plus any repairs you made making the first one cheaper. 

Of course it's a different equation if you can pay cash for one versus financing the other. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I pulled the trigger on a Model Y last night. Looking to delay delivery until the 4680 cells start being produced in them. Hopefully that's by next summer. Carvana is currently offering my $47K for my 2019 Model 3 and I only paid $46K for it 2 years ago ($50K with taxes/fees), so my loan won't really change.

Also hoping new EV incentives will be in place by the first of the year.

Picking up my Model Y on Thursday. 😍

Just sold my 2019 Model 3 today with 32,000 miles for $50K. 100% is pretty great resale value to me. ;)

Told myself that it I could get $50K for it that I would upgrade to the Enhanced Auto Pilot package. If I had to sell it to Carvana/Vroom/Driveway that I would wait on it. Well, since I got the full $50K today, ya boy is getting those little extra convenience features. Hopefully my wife and I can get pregnant soon and make use out of this extra room.

• Fire 1