Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
I drive a different car every week and the difference between the Malibu and Impala is night and day. The impala just feels so much more solid. The redesign for both of them was really well done though.

I just hate chevy electronics, every rental car I have looks like its from the 90's

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
We checked out a GMC Acadia and really liked it. My parents have the Buick Enclave, which is the same car with different logos. I've never been impressed with any Chevy product really. Everything inside is cheap plastic unless they've changed in the last few years.

The new Yukons/Tahoes are really nice inside. They finally fixed the dated interior and have cool features like noise canceling.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
My wife wanted one so bad and we got it loaded up and the price was way too high for what we got and I hate driving it. The thing barely starts, sucks in the snow and is slow as hell. Why do people want this car so badly>?

We love my wife's CRV-X and will be buying another one. It is maneuverable for her in city traffic and comfortable on the highway. The gas mileage was nice when we took it on a couple cross country trips. It is a nice balance to my F-150.

Never a problem starting

Never drive in snow

My wife doesn't notice it being slow

Reliable as hell, no repairs beyond routine maintenance in 6 years 80,000 miles

Good sight lines

The seat configuration / hatch has worked great for longer trips

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I have an 11 year old Impala, and the Malibu is on my list as I want to go to a smaller car when I get my next one.

I’ve always assumed the Malibu and the Impala were about the same size. If you want smaller, go for the Cruze. I test drove a Cruze but thought it was too small.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Get in your tahoe in front of your 3M mansion on your way to the Bahamas. Makes sense.

I've been looking hard at the Denali and Escalade for 2015 but at this point I'm better off waiting for a lightly used one.

And look at all that space for your one suitcase and 2 carry-ons!

Check out the Durango Citadel. Mid to high 40's for what I think is a better looking car. Can't speak to the quality inside (will know this weekend), but for 20-25k less I'm sure it's more than acceptable.

edit: actually truecar says you can get an AWD Citadel with the tech package and V6 for $40k. The V8 R/D is only $42k. So maybe less if you take that number to a dealer that wants to play.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
And look at all that space for your one suitcase and 2 carry-ons!

Check out the Durango Citadel. Mid to high 40's for what I think is a better looking car. Can't speak to the quality inside (will know this weekend), but for 20-25k less I'm sure it's more than acceptable.

I've seen it, its awesome. Its basically a stretched out Jeep GC Overland. The only thing I dont like about the Durango is the 4WD options arent quite as good as the Jeeps, but overall its an awesome truck. Oh I guess it doesnt have the billion speaker option like I have in my summit either but thats just small details.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
I’ve always assumed the Malibu and the Impala were about the same size. If you want smaller, go for the Cruze. I test drove a Cruze but thought it was too small.

Impala is a step up, both in size and engine. When I bought it, I wanted space. Now that it is the second car, I want something smaller I can get better mileage on.

My wife says she wants an Impala for our next car. Mostly because we have 3 different friends that drive one.

Now that MPG isn't as absolutely important as it was to me before I got my new job, I have a lot more choices. It'll be a few years before I have to worry about getting a new car though.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
My current car is coming up on 200K miles so I'm going to be looking to get a new one after the winter is over. I'm kind of interested in going up to a slightly larger car, like a crossover or smaller SUV. Does anyone have experience and/or opinions on ones they've owned in that category?

I enjoy my Escape (2010). It's a little over 5 years old with close to 90k miles and i've only had a few non-routine things that i've had to fix: Some gasket issue in the fuel tank/cap that was causing a seal error, the water pump and both sway bar links. I assume that's not terrible for a car i've had for that long with around 100k miles.

One thing I am pissed about is some rust on both rear tire wells, right on top, totally noticeable. It's just starting to show through the paint in a few spots, about the size of a dime or nickel. Of course the 5 year rust warranty didn't cover it (there has to be an actual hole in the metal, not just surface rust).

Other than those issues, it's a good starter car for a family. We can comfortably fit my son and boston terrier with all their crap. We've taken a bunch of road trips and it's been just fine. They changed the design in the last few years, so i'm not sure how those models compare. Obviously the tech in the last 5 years has gotten a lot better.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Dont get attached to a car and make that lead into into a bad deal because you want it now. Cars are a horrible investment and you should treat it that way.

Thanks everyone.

I'm definitely going through this process as smart as I can. Doing research online and using Edmunds and TrueCar.com. I plan on going at the end of March when it is the end of the fiscal year for Toyota and Subaru. I'm looking at financing through my credit union as well as putting down a hefty down payment. I'm also not buying the first day I go out to negotiate. Going to walk out and see if they can lower the price even more.

QUOTE (dewssox79 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
I am in the car industry. What are some of your specific questions?

I've been reading a lot about starting negotiations at the invoice price of the car. I'm sure every car or dealer is different, but how close to invoice price will they sell cars for? I also have read a couple things about dealers pulling a fast one with financing by agreeing to terms then calling the next day that the terms will need to be changed because the bank didn't approve. I've even been told that they even have customers sign waivers that prevents customers from backing out if the terms change effectively screwing them into paying more. I figure I either won't finance through dealers or wait to take the care until the paperwork is official from their bank.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Feb 21, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
I've been reading a lot about starting negotiations at the invoice price of the car. I'm sure every car or dealer is different, but how close to invoice price will they sell cars for? I also have read a couple things about dealers pulling a fast one with financing by agreeing to terms then calling the next day that the terms will need to be changed because the bank didn't approve. I've even been told that they even have customers sign waivers that prevents customers from backing out if the terms change effectively screwing them into paying more. I figure I either won't finance through dealers or wait to take the care until the paperwork is official from their bank.

Well, one thing they also will deal is get you to agree to certain financing terms that are worse than what a bank actually qualified you for, and then keep the difference. How that is legal, I have no idea.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Also go to multiple dealerships if you can. I browsed 3-4 infiniti dealerships back in the day by different owners and they bent over to beat the other one's offer.

I firmly believe in having a good relationship with a sales guy or manager and going back for repeat business as well. They are less likely to f*** you if they know you will be the type that will come back after a good deal.

That's what my dad does when he buys cars. He sends an email out at the end of the month to all the local dealerships and says he is looking for "xxx". He CC's them all on the email so they can see that they are now engaged in competition with other dealerships. He always gets cars that end up below cost.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 21, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
Well, one thing they also will deal is get you to agree to certain financing terms that are worse than what a bank actually qualified you for, and then keep the difference. How that is legal, I have no idea.

Commission for them.

On the other side, I accepted a $500 rebate for financing with Ford, then two days later moved the loan to USAA at 1/3rd the interest rate never paying any interest to Ford.