Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Debating between a 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5s with 71,000 miles and a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L with 138,000 miles. Both are the same price.

I'm not real familiar with Nissan in general but I've read a lot of positive reviews. Although everyone I've ever talked to said that a Honda will last for a long, long time. We are looking for reliability over anything. Haven't seen the Nissan in person yet but the Honda was obviously well cared for. It's very clean inside and out.

I own/operate a used car lot. Honda has a great reputation for their vehicles lasting and therefor holding their value well, but in my opinion you pay a premium for that and it all evens out. This is why you can get a newer Nissan with way less miles for the same price making it an draw deal wise. Be aware that both those vehicles have somewhat common known issues that are usually hard to check for. Both have been known to excessively burn oil, especially the accord. It just google it. It is common enough that many wonder how it was never recalled. I have had a 2004 Accord that would need about 2 quarts added between oil changes, and most Honda dealers will claim this is normal. It is a piston ring design issue. As for the 4 cylinder Altimas, The catalytic converters tend to break apart and somehow send debris back into the engine causing lots of engine failures. Every car has its common issues, but these I see a bit more often then things on other cars, and both are around the mileage were said issues are most common. I would go for the Honda, but try and get a super long test drive somehow and check the oil level.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
Debating between a 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5s with 71,000 miles and a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L with 138,000 miles. Both are the same price.

I'm not real familiar with Nissan in general but I've read a lot of positive reviews. Although everyone I've ever talked to said that a Honda will last for a long, long time. We are looking for reliability over anything. Haven't seen the Nissan in person yet but the Honda was obviously well cared for. It's very clean inside and out.

Nissan engines are much better in my opinion.

QUOTE (joemg311 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
I own/operate a used car lot. Honda has a great reputation for their vehicles lasting and therefor holding their value well, but in my opinion you pay a premium for that and it all evens out. This is why you can get a newer Nissan with way less miles for the same price making it an draw deal wise. Be aware that both those vehicles have somewhat common known issues that are usually hard to check for. Both have been known to excessively burn oil, especially the accord. It just google it. It is common enough that many wonder how it was never recalled. I have had a 2004 Accord that would need about 2 quarts added between oil changes, and most Honda dealers will claim this is normal. It is a piston ring design issue. As for the 4 cylinder Altimas, The catalytic converters tend to break apart and somehow send debris back into the engine causing lots of engine failures. Every car has its common issues, but these I see a bit more often then things on other cars, and both are around the mileage were said issues are most common. I would go for the Honda, but try and get a super long test drive somehow and check the oil level.

Researching the burning oil problem and it looks like it's mostly the 2.4L engine that's affected? This one is a 3.0L V6.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Researching the burning oil problem and it looks like it's mostly the 2.4L engine that's affected? This one is a 3.0L V6.

Yup, it seems like mostly the 4 cylinder you hear about. Not sure if it is because there are way more 3.4L out there or if the 6 has less problems. Either way, 4 vs 6 cylinder on an accord is only a 2mpg difference. Nice to have the extra power.

Update on my new car purchase.

I bought my new car yesterday. Got quotes from all the dealers in the area online during the week and worked them to beat each other. Ended up paying roughly $516 under invoice for my Subaru. The invoice price I found online varies from each source, but that's based on Edmunds and TrueCar. I even got them to throw in the tint at the last minute when they wouldn't go down in price anymore.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
Update on my new car purchase.

I bought my new car yesterday. Got quotes from all the dealers in the area online during the week and worked them to beat each other. Ended up paying roughly $516 under invoice for my Subaru. The invoice price I found online varies from each source, but that's based on Edmunds and TrueCar. I even got them to throw in the tint at the last minute when they wouldn't go down in price anymore.

Congrats!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
I definitely need to get it fixed or fix it myself. I am certain it is AUX input as it's visibly damaged and I've tried different devices/cords. Unfortunately the AUX module is not one that pops right out. I would have to take the whole radio out.

Do you think any shop would work on this?

Silly question, but can you work around this with bluetooth?

• 1 month later...

The best part of buying a car is not having to step foot in another car dealership for years. What a bunch of crooks.

After all the smoke cleared, we got a new Buick Enclave. Pretty pumped for it, should be good size for the growing family, but still fancy and a bit luxurious on the inside. I'm not gonna lie, those new commercials reeled me in.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2015 -> 03:11 AM)
The best part of buying a car is not having to step foot in another car dealership for years. What a bunch of crooks.

After all the smoke cleared, we got a new Buick Enclave. Pretty pumped for it, should be good size for the growing family, but still fancy and a bit luxurious on the inside. I'm not gonna lie, those new commercials reeled me in.

My parents have one and it's so comfortable when my wife, son and I go with them to dinner or on a small roadtrip. Easily the best 3rd row option out there that's not a mini-van. Tons of room, nice ride, decent gas mileage. I'm jealous!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 18, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
My parents have one and it's so comfortable when my wife, son and I go with them to dinner or on a small roadtrip. Easily the best 3rd row option out there that's not a mini-van. Tons of room, nice ride, decent gas mileage. I'm jealous!

Our one major necessity was a car that had captain chairs. It's just so nice to have that much more room and the kids can actually walk around a bit to their seats. Basically a SUV mini-van.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 19, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
Our one major necessity was a car that had captain chairs. It's just so nice to have that much more room and the kids can actually walk around a bit to their seats. Basically a SUV mini-van.

Those work great for kids who are, say, age 6 or older. For littler kids in bulky car seats, captain's chairs (in my experience) just make things worse.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Those work great for kids who are, say, age 6 or older. For littler kids in bulky car seats, captain's chairs (in my experience) just make things worse.

Great, now you tell me!! :lol:

In theory it seems like it will work better, either way it will definitely be better than the sedan I had. Lost count how many times heads bumped against the ceiling or door frame.

• 6 months later...

So I posted yesterday morning that my wife and I had leased a new Mercedes c300 on Saturday...only then to delete it because I started having some buyer's remorse...I'm on the fence in regards to whether to go with the c300 or the c450 AMG.

Saturday evening we just put a down payment on the c300, but didn't actually sign everything or take delivery of the vehicle, so we can still back out.

I just wonder if it makes any sense to really splurge on the nicer model considering it will be a low-mileage daily driver...but then again, I have this personal problem of always wanting the best I can afford..(or justify to myself, anyways)...

I think I may just hold off and slug in to work in dog-smelling pilot while I figure this out...

Anyone else looking to buy a car during these year-end sales events? And is this really a good time to buy a car?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Yes, I've been on the fence between Yukon Denali an ML63 AMG or a JGC SRT

The yukons/tahoes have been having all sorts of buyback and recall issues, it looks like a huge manufacturing error.

Which year? The newer models? I've been looking into 2013/2014 Tahoes. Hadn't seen anything like that yet. Hope I haven't completely missed that.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
Which year? The newer models? I've been looking into 2013/2014 Tahoes. Hadn't seen anything like that yet. Hope I haven't completely missed that.

The redesigned models. HUGE issues, all over FB, message boards and soon to be networks and newspapers. There is an issue with them building the roof with too thin material and there is a huge vibration/buffeting issue that is causing tons of buybacks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
The redesigned models. HUGE issues, all over FB, message boards and soon to be networks and newspapers. There is an issue with them building the roof with too thin material and there is a huge vibration/buffeting issue that is causing tons of buybacks.

Yikes. That sounds awful. But from a personal standpoint, I'm glad I'm focusing on the old design model rather than the new.

Edited by dasox24

So my wife and I decided against the Mercedes, and so yesterday I went into the dealership to get our down payment back.

While I was waiting in the finance office, another guy comes in, and the woman working says "what is the last name"?

"R-o-w-a-n-d."

I turn around and sure as s***, there is Aaron.

Pretty funny.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
So my wife and I decided against the Mercedes, and so yesterday I went into the dealership to get our down payment back.

While I was waiting in the finance office, another guy comes in, and the woman working says "what is the last name"?

"R-o-w-a-n-d."

I turn around and sure as s***, there is Aaron.

Pretty funny.

Did you ask him to crash into a wall for you so you could take a picture?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Did you ask him to crash into a wall for you so you could take a picture?

No, but I did congratulate him on the new position.

He looked at me like "what kind of nerd are you that you know that."

Edited by iamshack

• 1 month later...

Welp...in the market for a car (unexpectedly). Our 2005 Pilot got rear ended and now damage has totaled the vehicle out (thankfully everyone was okay). Rec actually happened about a month ago but insurance has been a drag as other drive has been lying (thankfully police report called her out for such).

Either way, was curious to see if anyone here happens to have a Sonata Hybrid (I've done the research, but curious in case anyone here happens to own one of the Hybrids). We are leaning towards getting the 2016 hybrid limited (was amazed at the bargains they got on those things). I actually was figuring I'd buy the all new pilot or highlander (our other vehicle is the previous generation Hybrid) but after seeing the cost of the Sonota decided we'd go a bit more economical and fuel efficient for our 2nd driver (knowing we have the bigger car for weekends / kid hauling).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Welp...in the market for a car (unexpectedly). Our 2005 Pilot got rear ended and now damage has totaled the vehicle out (thankfully everyone was okay). Rec actually happened about a month ago but insurance has been a drag as other drive has been lying (thankfully police report called her out for such).

Either way, was curious to see if anyone here happens to have a Sonata Hybrid (I've done the research, but curious in case anyone here happens to own one of the Hybrids). We are leaning towards getting the 2016 hybrid limited (was amazed at the bargains they got on those things). I actually was figuring I'd buy the all new pilot or highlander (our other vehicle is the previous generation Hybrid) but after seeing the cost of the Sonota decided we'd go a bit more economical and fuel efficient for our 2nd driver (knowing we have the bigger car for weekends / kid hauling).

I have a 2012 Sonata but not the hybrid. I bought it brand-new with 70 miles on the odometer. I've got around 135,000 miles on it now and (knock on wood) it's been basically problem free. The only money we've put into has been routine maintenance. Tires, brakes, oil changes, etc... My only complaint is that it seems to burn out the bulbs for headlights at a higher than average rate. I'm certainly considering another one in a few years so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The 10 year/100,000 mile warranty is nice too. Most of the others I looked at (at the time) were only 5 year/60,000 miles.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)

If you want fuel efficiency in an SUV, there is (or was anyway) a Highlander Hybrid, but the differential cost is huge. It was like 8k or something ridiculous. I've been salivating over the Lexus NX hybrid SUV, but it's not cheap either (comparable price to a Highlander, and more luxurious and more efficient, but much smaller). Hard to find an SUV with truly good fuel efficiency that is relatively inexpensive. I wish they still made the Escape Hybrids, was kind of mad Ford dropped those.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
If you want fuel efficiency in an SUV, there is (or was anyway) a Highlander Hybrid, but the differential cost is huge. It was like 8k or something ridiculous. I've been salivating over the Lexus NX hybrid SUV, but it's not cheap either (comparable price to a Highlander, and more luxurious and more efficient, but much smaller). Hard to find an SUV with truly good fuel efficiency that is relatively inexpensive. I wish they still made the Escape Hybrids, was kind of mad Ford dropped those.

Yeah...I was looking at Highlander or Pilot and those are about 35 (after negotiating) the way I'd like them equipped. Hybrid is low to mid 40's and at that point you lose the 2nd row bench and are forced with captain seats (which if my kids were older, I'd be all for, but at this point, my wife still likes to sit in the back with both kids on longer car rides + its convenient as we have extra seating capacity. But Hybrid Highlander's incremental fuel increase vs. cost is totally non-economic. Where as the Sonata Hybrid, total opposite, I pay like 1K more (thank you extra incentives) and get a pretty noticeable MPG increase (and Hyundai has lifetime battery warranty vs. Toyota's pretty s***ty battery warranty).

I actually pushed for the minivan but my wife thinks we are too young for a minivan (I just think it is most functional). I was sold on the "cooler" box. Haha. Ultimately, we decided we'd rather take the difference in cost and dump it into the kids college fund.

By the way, the current Pilot's and Highlanders, for there size, get pretty damn good mileage, imo (19 / 27 & 19/26, respectively).