Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)
Ordered a 2017 Audi Q7 the other day. Should be here in 3-4 months.

Test drove one last week and was sold.

Some awesome tech in this vehicle. Can't wait!

Audi's been killing it lately, love their lineup. Next car will be a Q3 if I don't get a Tesla Model 3.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
Audi's been killing it lately, love their lineup. Next car will be a Q3 if I don't get a Tesla Model 3.

I've been hooked since the first gen TT came out, but honestly, you're right...these newest generation of vehicles coming out are solid.

I originally wanted to get an S7 after my lease was up on my A6. Test drove the S7, loved it, even convinced my wife to love it...but then drove these new Q7's and was blown away. Really impressive vehicle.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 01:26 AM)
If you haven't pre-ordered the Model 3 by now, it's going to be probably 2020 until you can get one.

I refuse to pre order until I have a parking spot with access to an outlet, otherwise it would be pretty stupid to have an electric car. If that means I have to wait longer then so be it, I probably won't move until then anyways.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:48 PM)

I've seen alot of their roadmapped smart car items. I wish I wasnt under NDA because I like what VW/Audi is doing

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
I've been hooked since the first gen TT came out, but honestly, you're right...these newest generation of vehicles coming out are solid.

I originally wanted to get an S7 after my lease was up on my A6. Test drove the S7, loved it, even convinced my wife to love it...but then drove these new Q7's and was blown away. Really impressive vehicle.

My only problem with Audi SUV's is they put such a damn weak engine in them. I want a 400+HP engine in my SUV's

Edit: Ah I went back and looked, it does appear that they will be planning a V8 version, that would get my interest.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 06:48 AM)
My only problem with Audi SUV's is they put such a damn weak engine in them. I want a 400+HP engine in my SUV's

Edit: Ah I went back and looked, it does appear that they will be planning a V8 version, that would get my interest.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll have an S version in a year or so. For me, the 333 HP was enough...wanted to spend my money on some of the other features rather than on the premium engine.

I test drove the SQ5 a few years ago and it actually felt a bit too jumpy for my taste.

Shack, did you check out the Volvo SUV at all? That think is supposed to be pretty sweet too (looks really nice...I've never been a Volvo guy but the stuff I've read on it is impressive). Either way, those Audi's are beautiful. Did you all consider the Q8 at all? Or prefer the smaller version?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Shack, did you check out the Volvo SUV at all? That think is supposed to be pretty sweet too (looks really nice...I've never been a Volvo guy but the stuff I've read on it is impressive). Either way, those Audi's are beautiful. Did you all consider the Q8 at all? Or prefer the smaller version?

I read about the S90...that seems to be the other 3rd row SUV that could compete with the Q7. My main complaint was that the Volvo has a 4-cylinder engine. For a 7 passenger vehicle, I wanted at least the V6.

In therms of the Audi, there is no Q8. The Q7 is the largest SUV they manufacture, so that is probably the one you are thinking of.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Yeah, I'm sure they'll have an S version in a year or so. For me, the 333 HP was enough...wanted to spend my money on some of the other features rather than on the premium engine.

I test drove the SQ5 a few years ago and it actually felt a bit too jumpy for my taste.

Looks like they have a turbo V8 and a diesel V8 planned. That would make me look at them again.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
I refuse to pre order until I have a parking spot with access to an outlet, otherwise it would be pretty stupid to have an electric car. If that means I have to wait longer then so be it, I probably won't move until then anyways.

Do you have an incredibly long commute every day? Or do you mean a parking spot at home?

So, I learned my lesson about trying to find a good value on craigslist. Went and checked out a 2013 Chrysler 200 with 33,000 miles. Guy was asking $10k. Would only take cash. Told him I'd sleep on it. Turns out he had a fake VIN listed on the posting and when I got the real VIN I found out it was a branded title, he was the 3rd owner, and had only owned it for 10 days when he told me he owned it for over a year...

Looking at new Honda's since my sister is a manager at a Honda dealership in Aurora. Any thoughts on the '16 Accord or Civic? I think the new Civics are pretty slick.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
So, I learned my lesson about trying to find a good value on craigslist. Went and checked out a 2013 Chrysler 200 with 33,000 miles. Guy was asking $10k. Would only take cash. Told him I'd sleep on it. Turns out he had a fake VIN listed on the posting and when I got the real VIN I found out it was a branded title, he was the 3rd owner, and had only owned it for 10 days when he told me he owned it for over a year...

Looking at new Honda's since my sister is a manager at a Honda dealership in Aurora. Any thoughts on the '16 Accord or Civic? I think the new Civics are pretty slick.

How did you figure that out?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
How did you figure that out?

Copy and pasted it to my sister so she could run it for free for me and she said it wasn't registering. I called the guy and told him that and asked him to text me the VIN and a couple of the numbers/letters were different. Just a shady dude. I have a feeling he does this regularly with vehicles and eventually sells them to people that just don't check the vehicle history report.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)

Agreed about the Civics...like the facelift they did. You can never go wrong with the Accords either, but the Civic just seems a bit more fun to me.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)

I drive an Acura (mine is a TSX, so a European Honda), and I honestly think the new Hondas are starting to make the Acura offering redundant. The Accord is an incredible mid level car and the Civic looks amazing. I have to do a double take looking at them.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 12:09 AM)
Do you have an incredibly long commute every day? Or do you mean a parking spot at home?

I live in a condo building so I have a parking spot in a large garage, but I don't have the ability to put an outlet/powersource there. While a Model 3 would easily handle the 50ish mile daily commute I currently have to work, I don't trust the electric vehicle recharging network enough yet without having an in-home charger.

Hopefully in 4 years it's good enough that it doesn't matter (and maybe by then I have a garage spot with charging available), but for now it just would be too restricting as my only car. I love Teslas and really hope I can get one at some point, but it needs to make sense still.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
I live in a condo building so I have a parking spot in a large garage, but I don't have the ability to put an outlet/powersource there. While a Model 3 would easily handle the 50ish mile daily commute I currently have to work, I don't trust the electric vehicle recharging network enough yet without having an in-home charger.

Hopefully in 4 years it's good enough that it doesn't matter (and maybe by then I have a garage spot with charging available), but for now it just would be too restricting as my only car. I love Teslas and really hope I can get one at some point, but it needs to make sense still.

Are you at all influenced by the reports of poor reliability with the Model S?

While Consumer Reports stated it was the best performing vehicle they have ever tested, they could not recommend it due to above average reliability problems/issues.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Are you at all influenced by the reports of poor reliability with the Model S?

While Consumer Reports stated it was the best performing vehicle they have ever tested, they could not recommend it due to above average reliability problems/issues.

Definitely need to take this into consideration, as there are going to be at least 400,000 of these Model 3's out on the road (if they ever get built) and literally no mechanics to fix them.

• 3 weeks later...

Tesla changed their projection of 500,000 Model 3's by the end of 2020, to the end of 2018. :o :o :o

This probably pushed my expected arrival date on my Model 3 from Mid 2018 to Dec. '17 or so. About 6 months less to save for. While it will help almost certainly solidify me for the $7500 tax credit, having less time to save worries me. To account for this, I just bumped up my auto-paid savings "Tesla Fund" account and extra $100 a month. My goal is to be able to take about $20,000 off the price with savings + tax credit. Plan to configure my car for about $42,000 or so.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:48 AM)
Tesla changed their projection of 500,000 Model 3's by the end of 2020, to the end of 2018. :o :o :o

This probably pushed my expected arrival date on my Model 3 from Mid 2018 to Dec. '17 or so. About 6 months less to save for. While it will help almost certainly solidify me for the $7500 tax credit, having less time to save worries me. To account for this, I just bumped up my auto-paid savings "Tesla Fund" account and extra $100 a month. My goal is to be able to take about $20,000 off the price with savings + tax credit. Plan to configure my car for about $42,000 or so.

Musk lies lies lies. His projections are a joke. Any other person made comments and spewed BS projections like he did, and they'd never be in there role. Not to say he isn't really good at what he does (he's brilliant), just saying when it comes public comments, Musk's comments are overly aggressive vs. what a typical CEO would make. He just has a different way of motivation but I don't know that I'd buy his projections (that said I'm not following it in detail).

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:48 AM)

So I'm an ahole (or as I tell myself...a truth teller) when it comes to personal finances, so I'm just going to make this comment, but unless I'm mistaken, you work as a server at a Chili's. Now I have no idea what your longer term plans are and maybe you have lined up some wall street job with a big signing bonus (or already have a ton of money through inheritance or something...either way, I don't need to know), but unless one of my predefined scenarios fits, in no way shape or form is dropping $42K on a car a solid financial decision for someone just starting out.

You don't need to take my advice and I'm not here to get into a big discussion about it, but seeing that you are buying one I find it in my internet heart that I need to give you what I feel is the advice I'd tell my kids (and the advice I'd want someone to tell me in that situation).

Hey parents - we'll need to get a bigger car than our 2 door yaris.

Wife likes the rav4 hybrid. Having never bought a new car, I'm hesitant. What's the consensus on these mini suvs.

I'd rather just go balls out and get a 1980 volvo stationwagon.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Hey parents - we'll need to get a bigger car than our 2 door yaris.

Wife likes the rav4 hybrid. Having never bought a new car, I'm hesitant. What's the consensus on these mini suvs.

I'd rather just go balls out and get a 1980 volvo stationwagon.

We had a CRV for years, and that worked nicely. Just upgraded last summer to Honda minivan for the wife.