Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

Is there anything worse than buying a car? The sales pitches, the constant harassment, the constant upsells. I'd honestly pay a few extra grand to have an awesome experience test driving and then buying a car. I'm shocked that certain car manufacturers don't mandate this from the top down to the dealers they license. Be cool, don't be pushy, and we'll make buying a car from us an ENJOYABLE experience and we'll get repeat business.

The wife and I ended up buying this weekend. We'd been test driving most of the 3rd row suv's out there the last few weeks. I couldn't talk her into a Tahoe (too big), a few were too small (CX-9, Highlander), some I felt were overly pricey for what you get (MDX, XC90). So we had it narrowed down to the Durango (so great with the Hemi), the Pilot (nice bang for the buck, probably the most typical/comfortable family SUV that borders on a minivan), and the Explorer.

We ended up with an Explorer Platinum, their top of the line fully loaded trim. I was looking to buy new, without all of the bells and whistles, but they had a 2016 with 5k miles on it. I got it for about 22% off the sticker price, so i'm not sure I got a GREAT deal, but I don't think I got screwed either. Some of the features are really awesome - the fully automated 3rd row seats that include stow and go, the 360 degree sensors (every side and corner of the car), the front and back cameras, park assist, etc. etc. I've never had a car with auto/smart cruise control and wow, what a game changer. That's going to be awesome on our road trips. And it can tow 5k lbs, so future proofing if we get a small pop up camper/travel trailer.

So yeah, if anyone is looking at a 3rd row suv, feel free to ask questions. That's been my world the last month or so. I feel like I know all of them pretty well at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
We bought the 15 Odessey LE brand new off of the lot. I just got done driving it about 3000 miles over the course of a week for a family vacation for four. Honestly for a mini-van it does the job pretty well. I hate the size of the thing as all things that size feel like a bus to me, but it did the job pretty well. I had the cruise control set to 85 for most of the trip, the kids had their extras, it has the right side and back up cameras, etc. It has some nice get up and go for something that size.

We ended up getting a 2014 Sienna last week, and then took a family vacation to Wisconsin for a few days. I'm liking it a lot so far. I do agree though, it's huge compared to the cars I've been driving most of my life, though. But man....the storage space is awesome!

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
Ha! I'm in the exact same boat. Same two cars too. We are leaning Sienna because of the AWD, but they are very expensive new, and used are hard to come by. Meanwhile, good tires on a FWD are probably fine. I don't know if anyone here has driven an Odyssey or Sienna in the snow.

yea, i don't recall seeing many 2014 in AWD available, if any. Ours is a FWD only.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
We ended up getting a 2014 Sienna last week, and then took a family vacation to Wisconsin for a few days. I'm liking it a lot so far. I do agree though, it's huge compared to the cars I've been driving most of my life, though. But man....the storage space is awesome!

yea, i don't recall seeing many 2014 in AWD available, if any. Ours is a FWD only.

The storage space IS awesome. We never had a space issue. We could have brought another weeks worth of stuff for the four of us and still been fine.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 02:17 AM)
but with all premium features (vegan leather,

WTF is "vegan leather"? Leather is by definition, a hide. It can't be vegan.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Is there anything worse than buying a car? The sales pitches, the constant harassment, the constant upsells. I'd honestly pay a few extra grand to have an awesome experience test driving and then buying a car. I'm shocked that certain car manufacturers don't mandate this from the top down to the dealers they license. Be cool, don't be pushy, and we'll make buying a car from us an ENJOYABLE experience and we'll get repeat business.

The wife and I ended up buying this weekend. We'd been test driving most of the 3rd row suv's out there the last few weeks. I couldn't talk her into a Tahoe (too big), a few were too small (CX-9, Highlander), some I felt were overly pricey for what you get (MDX, XC90). So we had it narrowed down to the Durango (so great with the Hemi), the Pilot (nice bang for the buck, probably the most typical/comfortable family SUV that borders on a minivan), and the Explorer.

We ended up with an Explorer Platinum, their top of the line fully loaded trim. I was looking to buy new, without all of the bells and whistles, but they had a 2016 with 5k miles on it. I got it for about 22% off the sticker price, so i'm not sure I got a GREAT deal, but I don't think I got screwed either. Some of the features are really awesome - the fully automated 3rd row seats that include stow and go, the 360 degree sensors (every side and corner of the car), the front and back cameras, park assist, etc. etc. I've never had a car with auto/smart cruise control and wow, what a game changer. That's going to be awesome on our road trips. And it can tow 5k lbs, so future proofing if we get a small pop up camper/travel trailer.

So yeah, if anyone is looking at a 3rd row suv, feel free to ask questions. That's been my world the last month or so. I feel like I know all of them pretty well at this point.

I do a ton of research ahead of time to try to avoid most of the nonsense, and I ask for best prices via email or phone. But even then, there's the various BS they try to get you with in the deal making process.

By the way, we still have our 2012 Pilot, and our other finalists back then were also the Explorer and the Highlander. Actually like the Explorer best at the time, but it turned out it was too long for our oddly shaped garage. Ended up loving the Pilot though, which is now our second/backup/need-a-monster car, so no regrets.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
WTF is "vegan leather"? Leather is by definition, a hide. It can't be vegan.

I do a ton of research ahead of time to try to avoid most of the nonsense, and I ask for best prices via email or phone. But even then, there's the various BS they try to get you with in the deal making process.

By the way, we still have our 2012 Pilot, and our other finalists back then were also the Explorer and the Highlander. Actually like the Explorer best at the time, but it turned out it was too long for our oddly shaped garage. Ended up loving the Pilot though, which is now our second/backup/need-a-monster car, so no regrets.

Cork or plant-based material made to look and feel like leather.

Buying cars is such an awful process and I'm dreading having to do it in the next month or two.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
Cork or plant-based material made to look and feel like leather.

Buying cars is such an awful process and I'm dreading having to do it in the next month or two.

Do you have anything in mind?

As far as the Model 3: Musk always pits them against the A4, BMW 330i, but it really feels more like these cars are RWD (faster) Acura TSX's. Very nice in their own right, but that interior leaves a lot to be desired, especially with no added options. The big tablet is fine, but no speedometer on the dash is a little strange and the rest of the interior looks nice BUT stark.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 11:21 PM)
Do you have anything in mind?

As far as the Model 3: Musk always pits them against the A4, BMW 330i, but it really feels more like these cars are RWD (faster) Acura TSX's. Very nice in their own right, but that interior leaves a lot to be desired, especially with no added options. The big tablet is fine, but no speedometer on the dash is a little strange and the rest of the interior looks nice BUT stark.

Lack of instrument cluster is really the only thing I really wanted in the interior. Or a HUD. Otherwise, the bare look doesn't bother me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
My wife is insisting that I still have a truck, so I'll need to trade my access cab Tacoma in for something that'll fit a baby seat. Hoping that the Chevy/GMC Canyon double cabs will work, otherwise it'll be an F150 or a Silverado.

Do you haul a lot of stuff? 3rd rows have a good amount of cargo space with all the seats folded down. And renting a truck from Menards or Home Depot is like $20-30.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Yeah, and we used to play the rental game, but we do haul a decent amount for around the house and plan to do more with bikes, kayaks etc.

I kayak and fish quite a bit and have a '13 Black Ram Express Crew Cab (those are the ones all pimped out black with 20" black alloys)...and put on some Goodrich TA All Terrains. Not the greatest for road...but you'll love when you get off pavement. I'll probably always be a Ram guy...but I will say the new ones with the little knob for a gear shift kinda turns me off. But the roominess of the crew cab is ridiculously nice.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 09:47 PM)
Do you haul a lot of stuff? 3rd rows have a good amount of cargo space with all the seats folded down. And renting a truck from Menards or Home Depot is like $20-30.

jenks your post has had me thinking the last few weeks, and after finally starting to go look around at options last weekend, I think we're more settled on a 3rd row SUV. Currently looking at some Ford Explorers since we liked them more than the equivalent Chevys, Dodges or Nissans.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
jenks your post has had me thinking the last few weeks, and after finally starting to go look around at options last weekend, I think we're more settled on a 3rd row SUV. Currently looking at some Ford Explorers since we liked them more than the equivalent Chevys, Dodges or Nissans.

I'm still really happy with the Explorer. We took it on a road trip a couple weeks ago and it was super comfortable. My only minor gripe is the navigation system, which is a bit dated. Starting with the 2017 models they include the apple/android car stuff. Not sure it would have been worth thousands just to get that though.

Check the Honda Pilot, if you haven't already. It's more cross-over style if you guys are into that. Still very room and comfortable with some good features and slightly better gas mileage.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
I'm still really happy with the Explorer. We took it on a road trip a couple weeks ago and it was super comfortable. My only minor gripe is the navigation system, which is a bit dated. Starting with the 2017 models they include the apple/android car stuff. Not sure it would have been worth thousands just to get that though.

Check the Honda Pilot, if you haven't already. It's more cross-over style if you guys are into that. Still very room and comfortable with some good features and slightly better gas mileage.

Let's be honest, everyone uses Waze anyway. Car-nav is kind of dying

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 07:34 AM)
Considering Google Maps bought Waze, they are both fairly similar. It's weird, if I have to walk somewhere or just look something up, I'm 100% using Google Maps. If I am driving somewhere, I'm using Waze. I've found that the alerts from other users on Waze (police, car on side of the road) are really accurate and helpful.

I'm the same way. My biggest issue with Waze though is that it's too smart for it's own good at times. It will find "quicker" routes down side streets in the city, but expect you to cross a major three-lane road without a stoplight.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:46 PM)
Have you used Google Maps? Is Waze that much better?

I like Waze for road trips because of the notifications and the easy route adjustments I make on the fly. Google maps is excellent for walking and just plain directions.

I dont rely on Waze for actual turn by turn because it takes me weird ways, but its great for trips.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
I use google maps especially for rush hour traffic as it is pretty precise on ETA.

The side street directions make it interesting at times.

Choosing local or express lanes on the Ryan is awesome.

Waze is better for the police notifications and things like that.

Both are incredible apps.

And I use both WAY before I use my car's nav. Of course I DO look at it for traffic flow once in awhile but thats it.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
Car started shaking as I drove yesterday. Taking it in Saturday. I'm sure it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Happened to me a couple months back, was due to some coil or something coming loose (or more like the shop didn't put everything back right when working on my car right before this). Hopefully it isn't too bad for ya.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
Car started shaking as I drove yesterday. Taking it in Saturday. I'm sure it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Is it making a noise? And is it speed based?

Could be bad, or something super simple. My co-worker had a bearing issue like that and it was a super quick fix.