Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

I just had the brakes go out on my Suburban. Got about 2 blocks from home and they just went to the floor. Pulled over into a parking lot and a warning message about servicing my brake system started flashing on my dash. Still had fluid in the reservoir but it was obviously leaking.

Drove about 5 mph all the way back home and got it back into the driveway. Noticed a long line of fluid going down my driveway from when I pulled in. Not sure if it's one of the lines or if it's the master cylinder. Now I have to get a tow truck to take it into the repair shop. :angry:

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
If the shaking is from the steering wheel at higher speeds you probably just threw a weight on one of your tires. I'd take it to a tire shop first and see if they need to be rebalanced.

That's what it feels like to me but I know nothing about cars.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
I drive a Dodge Charge '08 and I went in to get my tires rotated last week and the guy basically said that I should get new tires. I have a lot to sort out financially this month so I just want to push it off until November and get some tires that will help my "sports car" not be so terrible in the snow/ice. Generally, I have been pretty happy with Discount but if someone who actually knows cars has any input on tires or services I should consider I would appreciate it.

Sam's Club or Costco is the way to go. Usually have good deals on tires and they throw in free balancing, rotation, flat fix and road side assistance.

I went and test-drove a Chevy Volt with my aunt last week. Car was very slick and I liked it a lot, but she decided it was a bit out of her price range, and the idea of plugging a car in (even though it's optional) somehow scares her and gives her anxiety.

We are going to test-drive an Hyundai Ioniq tomorrow. I assume the Hybrid version, since she wants to avoid a plug.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
Sam's Club or Costco is the way to go. Usually have good deals on tires and they throw in free balancing, rotation, flat fix and road side assistance.

I second this. They seem to treat you right. A huge percentage of tires come super unbalanced or even with manufacturing errors. Its good to work with a company that would easily balance or replace them without questions.

And also get some Blizzaks on that sports car. Other than the near fatal accident I got into with my G37, the tires were money.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
I don't know if they're still great on pricing, but Tire Rack's always good for detailed reviews and ratings on tires.

Blizzaks are great, but they are expensive and they're winter-only so you've got to get a second set of summer tires.

Oh yeah, I always had two sets with my rear wheel drive car.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)

I bought tires from Costco for our last two cars. The only issue I've run into is that I"m almost always told it's a 1 to 2 hour wait to have my tires rotated no matter what time of day I go there. Sometimes that's not an issue if I actually need to do shopping, but there have been times where I stopped by just to get the tires rotated and don't want to wait that long to have it done. Anyone else run into that issue at Costco?

• 1 month later...

Last week the latest GOP plan was to prematurely remove the $7500 EV tax credit.

As of today, one Republican who appears to not be getting rich off the oil industry, said they have put reinstated the EV tax credit back in to the latest version of the budget. This is a $7500 limbo I'm stuck in right now. Stressing me out a bit.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
I bought tires from Costco for our last two cars. The only issue I've run into is that I"m almost always told it's a 1 to 2 hour wait to have my tires rotated no matter what time of day I go there. Sometimes that's not an issue if I actually need to do shopping, but there have been times where I stopped by just to get the tires rotated and don't want to wait that long to have it done. Anyone else run into that issue at Costco?

Yup, always took about 2 hours no matter what the type of service. I typically just shopped or hung out at the restaurant area.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
Motherf***ing screw in my tire. And I have apparently hard to find tires, Pirelli Verdes. f***

I've got Pirelli Scorpion Verdes on my Pilot. They were available all over the place when I bought them (about a year ago), at least for the size I needed. Bought them on Tire Rack and had them sent to a Midas to install.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
I've got Pirelli Scorpion Verdes on my Pilot. They were available all over the place when I bought them (about a year ago), at least for the size I needed. Bought them on Tire Rack and had them sent to a Midas to install.

They arent at any tire shop within 30 miles of my house it seems. Luckily they could patch it for now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
Motherf***ing screw in my tire. And I have apparently hard to find tires, Pirelli Verdes. f***

Got a screw in my A4 quattro stock Pirellis a month after buying it. Discount Tire tried to make me buy four new tires.

Fat chance.

Oh my f***. Tesla unveiled their Tesla semi tonight AND surprised the world with a reveal of the NEW updated Roadster. And holy f***, the specs on both are amazing.

Tesla semi has 500 miles of range, 0-60 in 5 seconds, 400 miles of recharge in 30 mins, more aerodynamic than a Bugatti

t3-980x620.jpg

New Roadster had 620 miles of range (!!!) and 0-60 speeds in 1.9 seconds (!!!), both are world records.

roadster_front_58-e1510896071171.jpg

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 06:38 AM)
Isn't Tesla way, way behind production schedule and laying a bunch of people off?

Also touch screens in cars aren't great because they provide zero tactile feedback and require a lot more attention from drivers than physical controls do. Going 100% touchscreen is a bad idea.

Yes. Even still, what they've pulled off in the short amount of time they've been producing cars is pretty incredible.

As for the touchscreens, not sure how important tactile feedback is if your assumption is that these vehicles will be fairly autonomous. Given the current applications of voice control, I know people who basically never touch anything.

I like buttons and knobs though. So I hear you...

There was a big study I heard about on the radio a month ago that found the high-tech touchscreens are pretty distracting. The voice commands don't really help much, either, because it still takes a lot of your mental attention to give the command and then verify that it was executed properly rather than blindly reaching for the volume knob or whatever and knowing you've got the right button just from muscle memory.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-...1004-story.html

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 07:11 AM)
There was a big study I heard about on the radio a month ago that found the high-tech touchscreens are pretty distracting. The voice commands don't really help much, either, because it still takes a lot of your mental attention to give the command and then verify that it was executed properly rather than blindly reaching for the volume knob or whatever and knowing you've got the right button just from muscle memory.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-...1004-story.html

Hey! That's my car! :)

It does have a lot of tech, but not a touchscreen. I primarily just listen to music through Carplay or Sirius. Everything I need, including navigation directions, is projected onto the windshield by the HUD.

Tbh, I don't really use the tech in a manner that distracts me; I find the more dangerous feature can be the active lane assist, which every once in awhile will jerk the vehicle because it misreads the lane line.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
Hey! That's my car! :)

It does have a lot of tech, but not a touchscreen. I primarily just listen to music through Carplay or Sirius. Everything I need, including navigation directions, is projected onto the windshield by the HUD.

Tbh, I don't really use the tech in a manner that distracts me; I find the more dangerous feature can be the active lane assist, which every once in awhile will jerk the vehicle because it misreads the lane line.

Yeah, I forget about the active lane assist when I turn it on and I forget my blinker and start fighting my car.

I do literally everything via voice or the steering wheel controls. As long as those exist I dont care what else is in the car.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
Yeah, I forget about the active lane assist when I turn it on and I forget my blinker and start fighting my car.

I do literally everything via voice or the steering wheel controls. As long as those exist I dont care what else is in the car.

Yeah, it has trained me to always use my signal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
The tech stuff in cars these days are amazing and will get even moreso. The worry I would have is how easily it seems cars systems can be hacked.

I still don't get how wifi in cars works. Is it free? Is it like data? I'm lost