Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
Isn't Tesla way, way behind production schedule and laying a bunch of people off?

Also touch screens in cars aren't great because they provide zero tactile feedback and require a lot more attention from drivers than physical controls do. Going 100% touchscreen is a bad idea.

Behind schedule, yes. Most are seeing a 1-month delay in their estimated delivery timeframes.

Laying a bunch of people off? Not really. Unless something like 3% turnover is a bunch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
The tech stuff in cars these days are amazing and will get even moreso. The worry I would have is how easily it seems cars systems can be hacked.

They are more secure than a lot of other things but like any internet connected item, you can social hack the hell out of it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)
There was a big study I heard about on the radio a month ago that found the high-tech touchscreens are pretty distracting. The voice commands don't really help much, either, because it still takes a lot of your mental attention to give the command and then verify that it was executed properly rather than blindly reaching for the volume knob or whatever and knowing you've got the right button just from muscle memory.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-...1004-story.html

The Model S and X have steering wheel buttons still. The Model 3 has a roller wheel in each side of the wheel, that is contextual based. Normally, one is more volume. The other is probably going to be mapped to cruise control, but they can change all the commands via software, potentially making them fully custom for the user.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
I still don't get how wifi in cars works. Is it free? Is it like data? I'm lost

Both, all.

Tesla offers the data for free, for now. But Tesla's also have WiFi, so if you're at home at within range at a business, you can use their WiFi, or your own phone's hotspot.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 09:41 PM)
Both, all.

Tesla offers the data for free, for now. But Tesla's also have WiFi, so if you're at home at within range at a business, you can use their WiFi, or your own phone's hotspot.

It’s a retrofitted mifi. Nothing special.

• 2 months later...

Since I have a significant position in Tesla, and also just because I am a big car guy, I decided to schedule a test drive and see exactly what kind of service/product Tesla offers.

Set up an appointment for this morning and test drove a Model S P100D.

WOW. What a machine!

Was really impressed with everything, from the service, to the products, to the business model, etc.

Now they are trying to put the hard sell on me of course. So I’m going to take home a Model X tomorrow night and drive it for the weekend. Should be fun.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 05:43 PM)
Since I have a significant position in Tesla, and also just because I am a big car guy, I decided to schedule a test drive and see exactly what kind of service/product Tesla offers.

WOW. What a machine!

Was really impressed with everything, from the service, to the products, to the business model, etc.

Now they are trying to put the hard sell on me of course. So I’m going to take home a Model X tomorrow night and drive it for the weekend. Should be fun.

I'm curious to hear what you think of the Model X. Please keep us posted.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 04:43 PM)

WOW. What a machine!

What does that mean?

My girlfriend and I test drove the Model S P100D a couple of months ago. We of course did the 0-60 launch a couple of times. Not quite as jarring as the first time I did it last year, even in a lesser model, but still quite the feeling.

I still have yet to test drive the Model X, although I imagine it's a very similar experience. I'm dying for a Chicago location to get the Model 3 so I can make sure I 100% love it before I commit to my purchase.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 12:51 AM)
What does that mean?

My girlfriend and I test drove the Model S P100D a couple of months ago. We of course did the 0-60 launch a couple of times. Not quite as jarring as the first time I did it last year, even in a lesser model, but still quite the feeling.

I still have yet to test drive the Model X, although I imagine it's a very similar experience. I'm dying for a Chicago location to get the Model 3 so I can make sure I 100% love it before I commit to my purchase.

Sorry, financial position = I own Tesla stock.

Didn’t mean to imply I work there.

I picked up the Model X last night. They let me play with the P100D version with the 22-inch wheels. It’s black with the 7-seat configuration, white interior.

The fit and finish on this thing is not what it is on my Audi Q7. It’s not cheap feeling, but if you’ve been in any of the high end Audi’s, BMWs or Mercedes, you can definitely tell the difference. That’s not to say it still isn’t a very nice car, but the interior feels more like that in the lower tier levels of luxury brands.

If you can live with that though...it is definitely a game changer. The performance is off the charts. Last night I took it on the freeway, went up to one of the higher points in the Vegas valley, and just sort of looked over all the lights. I then put it ludicrous mode and went from about 0-80 in about 3.2 seconds. It honestly feels otherworldly. I’ve driven some quick cars before, and this is just completely different, at least from 0-100 or so. And even though I live in the middle of the desert, I can tell you the number of times I’ve driven more than 100 mph in my life on one hand.

The technology is pretty cool. I’m coming from a very tech-heavy vehicle already, and so while most of my enjoyment in this vehicle comes from the massive center screen and the voice-controlled streaming audio, it isn’t completely unparalleled if you’ve been in any high-end luxury cars from the last year or so. The true breakthrough, imo, is the software updates. The fact that Tesla actually adds functionality and features (other than trivial things, like updating the navigation or something) is such a huge advantage over pretty much every other vehicle out there.

Oh, and the falcon wing doors....scared the s*** out of my 2 year old...I think he felt he was being kidnapped by aliens.

I’ll post more after more driving today, including a charge-up at the supercharger.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 08:49 AM)
Sorry, financial position = I own Tesla stock.

Didn’t mean to imply I work there.

I picked up the Model X last night. They let me play with the P100D version with the 22-inch wheels. It’s black with the 7-seat configuration, white interior.

The fit and finish on this thing is not what it is on my Audi Q7. It’s not cheap feeling, but if you’ve been in any of the high end Audi’s, BMWs or Mercedes, you can definitely tell the difference. That’s not to say it still isn’t a very nice car, but the interior feels more like that in the lower tier levels of luxury brands.

If you can live with that though...it is definitely a game changer. The performance is off the charts. Last night I took it on the freeway, went up to one of the higher points in the Vegas valley, and just sort of looked over all the lights. I then put it ludicrous mode and went from about 0-80 in about 3.2 seconds. It honestly feels otherworldly. I’ve driven some quick cars before, and this is just completely different, at least from 0-100 or so. And even though I live in the middle of the desert, I can tell you the number of times I’ve driven more than 100 mph in my life on one hand.

The technology is pretty cool. I’m coming from a very tech-heavy vehicle already, and so while most of my enjoyment in this vehicle comes from the massive center screen and the voice-controlled streaming audio, it isn’t completely unparalleled if you’ve been in any high-end luxury cars from the last year or so. The true breakthrough, imo, is the software updates. The fact that Tesla actually adds functionality and features (other than trivial things, like updating the navigation or something) is such a huge advantage over pretty much every other vehicle out there.

Oh, and the falcon wing doors....scared the s*** out of my 2 year old...I think he felt he was being kidnapped by aliens.

I’ll post more after more driving today, including a charge-up at the supercharger.

Awesome.

How did you like the white seats? I'm going to select that option for mine, provided it's either free or affordable ($1000 or less).

And did you try out autopilot 2.0 at all?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 10:53 PM)
Awesome.

How did you like the white seats? I'm going to select that option for mine, provided it's either free or affordable ($1000 or less).

And did you try out autopilot 2.0 at all?

I did like the white seats. I think they look a little cheap at first but they are actually really comfortable and soft. They go well in the middle of the desert in Vegas...could see how maybe they might stick out even more so in the Midwest. I certainly don’t think they appear to get dirty more quickly than any other seat color.

The autopilot 2.0 was really cool. Not entirely different than what is available in some Audi’s and Mercedes, but probably more advanced. I particularly enjoyed scaring our parents by turning around and starting a discussion with them while in the middle of the freeway.

I went to a supercharger in downtown Las Vegas that is about 5 minutes from my house. Really cool. I think it took about 16-18 minutes to charge up about 100 miles worth of range. In Nevada, they charge by the minute - .18. So I calculated for 100 miles of range it would typically cost about $3.25. Compare that to the fact that to fuel my Q7 for 100 miles of range would likely cost about $17 or so. Considering I drive about 350 miles or so a week, you are talking about a fuel savings (if you fueled solely using the SuperCharger) of about $60/wk and $2,750 annually. Then if you consider they are offering free supercharging for life right now, that includes an additional potential fuel benefit of $650 annually and many thousands of dollars over a driver’s life should he continue to drive Teslas and fuel at Superchargers.

Additionally, many utilities offer special discounted EV rates, not only on the actual charging of your EV, but on ALL of your energy usage. I did some rough calculations and believe there is probably an additional savings there of $1000-1200 annually.

So the entire concept/business model really is intriguing to me. I am very impressed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 06:12 AM)
Does it have 4WD and is it good?

They all come with AWD now I believe...I have seen videos of them driving in the snow and s*** but I couldn’t speak to how good they are compared to Jeep’s AWD or Audi’s Quattro, etc...I don’t really care either, living in Nevada ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, it finally happened. Tesla slammed everyone with massive delays on their Model 3's today. The people who are getting the First Production versions (Long range battery, Premium Upgrades) only saw 2-3 month delays (They were already at the end of their December-February timeframe anyway), but people like me who wanted the Short Range battery got delayed 6-8 months!!

Tesla INITIALLY gave me a December-February estimation back when they opened up their estimator last summer. Then that quickly changed to February-April, which I was fine with. Then it changed to "Early 2018" which I took to mean April-May.

BUT NOW, it has changed again, but this time to "Late 2018", which I assume will mean October-December. 6-8 god damn months. The good news is that it gives me more time to save. I'll have at least another $4-6K saved by then. The bad news is obviously I have to wait EVEN LONGER for my car, but also HOPE my current car lasts me that long. I've been dying to ditch this 2004 Galant, as it's had so many small issues crop up over the last 18 months or so. Nothing major, but every day I cross my fingers that it's going to last me.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 05:36 PM)
Welp, it finally happened. Tesla slammed everyone with massive delays on their Model 3's today. The people who are getting the First Production versions (Long range battery, Premium Upgrades) only saw 2-3 month delays (They were already at the end of their December-February timeframe anyway), but people like me who wanted the Short Range battery got delayed 6-8 months!!

Tesla INITIALLY gave me a December-February estimation back when they opened up their estimator last summer. Then that quickly changed to February-April, which I was fine with. Then it changed to "Early 2018" which I took to mean April-May.

BUT NOW, it has changed again, but this time to "Late 2018", which I assume will mean October-December. 6-8 god damn months. The good news is that it gives me more time to save. I'll have at least another $4-6K saved by then. The bad news is obviously I have to wait EVEN LONGER for my car, but also HOPE my current car lasts me that long. I've been dying to ditch this 2004 Galant, as it's had so many small issues crop up over the last 18 months or so. Nothing major, but every day I cross my fingers that it's going to last me.

Will you miss out on the tax credit?

I appreciate what Tesla has done, but I agree with much of this article. They're not particularly innovative and the posts I have seen here seem to echo the sentiment that Tesla does not hold up in terms of overall quality.

Opinion: Tesla’s technology doesn’t live up to the hype — and that could hammer the stock price

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 09:47 AM)
I appreciate what Tesla has done, but I agree with much of this article. They're not particularly innovative and the posts I have seen here seem to echo the sentiment that Tesla does not hold up in terms of overall quality.

Opinion: Tesla’s technology doesn’t live up to the hype — and that could hammer the stock price

Musk even admitted yesterday that the success of Tesla will not be from it’s vehicles, but rather, from “productizing the Gigafactory.” He believes that what they are learning about manufacturing is going to give them their true advantage.

Ultimately, did Apple have more technology than Samsung or others when they made the iPod or the iPhone? Not really.

What they had was a better design and a better vision for the products they build, and how they could be tied into an ecosystem which would improve the lives of their customers. I believe Tesla is building that as we speak. Obviously they need to be able to produce enough units of something with a decent margin so that they can operate profitably, and that is where the model 3 and model Y will come in. Yeah, they are taking their lumps. But they will get there. And when they do - watch out.

Will the other auto manufacturers build similar models of electric vehicles? Yes. Will they offer home charging stations? Yes.

But Tesla will eventually have an entire ecosystem working for it. One where I can power my home and vehicle through panels or roof tiles and where I can charge my vehicle from anyone of thousands of rapid charging stations, etc.

It will definitely be interesting to watch play out.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:37 PM)
Chili, not sure how you are so shocked that Tesla is pushing out their production rollout again, they've been consistently late to deliver on every model.

Not shocked it's delayed, shocked it's delayed by 6-8 months.

The biggest reasons are apparently because they have now decided to make the Dual Motor variant BEFORE the Short Range battery (it was reversed), and they are also going to do international deliveries before that as well. So people in Canada saw their estimations MOVE UP 6-8 months.

For being a Day 1 reservation holder, it's a real kick in the dick to suddenly drop to the very end of the priority line.