Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

16 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Iirc he got free super charging for a year or something

But that would mean always going to "fill up" rather than just plugging in at home

I bought windshield wipers for $38,000 and Ford gave me a free F150.  

I wonder how dealerships decide what to call "free". We know that there has to be a profit for the manufacturer. The buyer pays for everything. I assume marketing tests different slogans and incentives on test subjects and sees what works. Of course the smart buyer works that into their overall cost analysis of the vehicle before making a decision. 

On 6/19/2020 at 2:29 PM, NorthSideSox72 said:

Even then it isn't the same though. Insurance is a funny animal - how much more or less does this car cost to insure versus previous? License costs different too. But really I was sort of taken aback that he completely left out electricity, which is essentially the fuel for the car.

I charge for free at the Supercharger that I pass on my way home from work. So....$0.

Insurance on this car is about $12 more than my 15 year old Mitsubishi Galant was. No idea why. I pay $90 a month, and that actually just went up slightly from like $83 last time I remember looking.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:43 PM, StrangeSox said:

Iirc he got free super charging for a year or something

But that would mean always going to "fill up" rather than just plugging in at home

I got 5,000 free miles that was supposed to be used up within 6 months (unless I got someone to use my referral code, then it resets that 6 months and adds another 1,000 miles). But on a road trip to Charlotte for a Knights playoff game (until they lost 6 of their last 7 games in an epic collapse) there was some sort of glitch and it stopped subtracting my free miles. So it's been hung at 1672 miles remaining since September. It also didn't go away after 6 months. As of now, the current message says my Supercharging miles will expire on June 30th, 2020, so I guess I'll find out in about 10 days whether or not I have to start paying to charge my car or not.

13 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I charge for free at the Supercharger that I pass on my way home from work. So....$0.

Insurance on this car is about $12 more than my 15 year old Mitsubishi Galant was. No idea why. I pay $90 a month, and that actually just went up slightly from like $83 last time I remember looking.

13 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I got 5,000 free miles that was supposed to be used up within 6 months (unless I got someone to use my referral code, then it resets that 6 months and adds another 1,000 miles). But on a road trip to Charlotte for a Knights playoff game (until they lost 6 of their last 7 games in an epic collapse) there was some sort of glitch and it stopped subtracting my free miles. So it's been hung at 1672 miles remaining since September. It also didn't go away after 6 months. As of now, the current message says my Supercharging miles will expire on June 30th, 2020, so I guess I'll find out in about 10 days whether or not I have to start paying to charge my car or not.

Ah, so you got a bonus deal, nice. Lucky glitch for you.

When it does come time to start charging it at home or other non-free place, do you plan to use a monitor for the amount of electricity used? Or does Tesla have that built into the charging station in some way? I had to add a little smart plug for mine (cost like $15) to see exactly how much electricity was going to the car charging.

On 6/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, Texsox said:

After getting my first pickup I can't imagine not owning one. I have a travel trailer to tow so that almost automatically puts me in a truck. Best of all is heading to the bulk supplier for mulch, grabbing a sheet of plywood, etc. is so convenient. Plus five passenger comfort. Literally I can fit three adults in the back seat and they aren't touching and they have leg room. My son has a Tesla and they are heading on a trip today. They have to plan a 30 minute stop at a Super Charger midway on the trip. Then hope the destination charger at the hotel isn't being used. He's also planning a trip this summer and the route is being dictated by super chargers. I'm not ready yet to give up my back roads driving. 

I'm the exact opposite. I've never owned a pickup and can't imagine the need for one.  I had a Suburban for many years and just recently went down to a Chevy Traverse. It's much more common for me to haul people/kids/dogs than it is for me to haul mulch, plywood or trailers. And I can fit 8 people in there.

Even though I do own a 5th wheel its only been towed 3 times since I've owned it and currently sits on a permanent site. It went from the dealer to our first CG (dealer towed it), then a year later it went to a second CG (CG owner towed it for us) then finally to it's current place (we just hired a guy to tow it for us).

We rent a u-haul trailer to tow our golf cart back and forth at the beginning and end of each season but the Traverse handles that just fine.

3 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Ah, so you got a bonus deal, nice. Lucky glitch for you.

When it does come time to start charging it at home or other non-free place, do you plan to use a monitor for the amount of electricity used? Or does Tesla have that built into the charging station in some way? I had to add a little smart plug for mine (cost like $15) to see exactly how much electricity was going to the car charging.

When you use a supercharger, it shows how much electricity it uses and how much you just paid for it (as of now $0.00 for me), but I don't think it gives any sort of feedback when you use a any other type of charger. But for $15 that plug might be worth it just because I would be curious. I haven't done the math in a while but I believe the cost should be about $8-10 for 300 miles of range.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

When you use a supercharger, it shows how much electricity it uses and how much you just paid for it (as of now $0.00 for me), but I don't think it gives any sort of feedback when you use a any other type of charger. But for $15 that plug might be worth it just because I would be curious. I haven't done the math in a while but I believe the cost should be about $8-10 for 300 miles of range.

65-75 kWh should run you $4-5 depending on what kind of rate you have. Often times you can find an EV charging rate overnight for about 4-5 cents a kWh.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, Iwritecode said:

I'm the exact opposite. I've never owned a pickup and can't imagine the need for one.  I had a Suburban for many years and just recently went down to a Chevy Traverse. It's much more common for me to haul people/kids/dogs than it is for me to haul mulch, plywood or trailers. And I can fit 8 people in there.

Even though I do own a 5th wheel its only been towed 3 times since I've owned it and currently sits on a permanent site. It went from the dealer to our first CG (dealer towed it), then a year later it went to a second CG (CG owner towed it for us) then finally to it's current place (we just hired a guy to tow it for us).

We rent a u-haul trailer to tow our golf cart back and forth at the beginning and end of each season but the Traverse handles that just fine.

Great choice for 8 passengers.

It's interesting how often people say "need" with pickups. I think of it as more what I don't need. I don't need an enclosed locked vault  (trunk)? What do people keep in there that's so valuable? Driving around with stuff all locked up tight.  Lol

Plus do needs really apply to vehicles? I see so many people driving without passengers, do they need a backseat? Four doors? 6 speaker sound systems? Cruise? Turbo? 

Our current TT has over 14,000 miles in two years. We'll put another 3,000 on over the next two months. We love hitting the open road. Retirement will probably be a 5er with either a one ton diesel  or a HDT. 

• Haha 1

like the electric car talk on here. i'm very seriously considering the cybertruck. at first i hated the look... then it started growing on me. Then i couldn't get it out of my head. I was looking at a few cars ... all over the map. I have a challenger, was looking at a 1970 c10 chevy truck, a 2015 z06 corvette. Basically i want a car that makes me feel something. Every damn car is almost exactly the same over the past 15-20 years. I miss feeling something when you see a car. It may be a feeling of hate or love or ... anything. but i want the machinery to evoke some feeling of some sort. Cybertruck does that. It pushes boundaries. Still waiting to pull the trigger based on this whole pandemic - but really interested in Tesla. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

like the electric car talk on here. i'm very seriously considering the cybertruck. at first i hated the look... then it started growing on me. Then i couldn't get it out of my head. I was looking at a few cars ... all over the map. I have a challenger, was looking at a 1970 c10 chevy truck, a 2015 z06 corvette. Basically i want a car that makes me feel something. Every damn car is almost exactly the same over the past 15-20 years. I miss feeling something when you see a car. It may be a feeling of hate or love or ... anything. but i want the machinery to evoke some feeling of some sort. Cybertruck does that. It pushes boundaries. Still waiting to pull the trigger based on this whole pandemic - but really interested in Tesla. 

Just buy a Ridgeline, you'll get plenty of hate from people.

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

A Tesla will definitely make you feel something. I have a Cybertruck on order and think if Tesla can truly hit those specs it will be the best vehicle on the market at that price point by far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Take a look at the rivian truck. They are made in bloomington. Much more of the classic look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 10:52 AM, ptatc said:

Take a look at the rivian truck. They are made in bloomington. Much more of the classic look.

That Rivian truck is a great alternative to the Cybertruck for those who want a more traditional looking truck for sure. I really hope they make it as a company. Doesn't Amazon and Ford have some ownership in them now?

On 6/21/2020 at 7:01 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

June 30th has come and gone. Today I charged up for the first time this month, aaaaaaaaandddd......

Still got free supercharging. 😎😎

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

7 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That Rivian truck is a great alternative to the Cybertruck for those who want a more traditional looking truck for sure. I really hope they make it as a company. Doesn't Amazon and Ford have some ownership in them now?

Their SUV is really slick looking too - has a range rover kind of look to it.  

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

June 30th has come and gone. Today I charged up for the first time this month, aaaaaaaaandddd......

Still got free supercharging. 😎😎

They just hired some guy away from Apple that was highly involved with Apple Pay to work on superchargers...my guess is he will some of these issues.

• 2 weeks later...

My son just vacationed in Colorado and planning hotels and routes based on superchargers wasn't an issue for him, but it would be for me. He also couldn't drive over to visit us because of charger locations. I know it will keep improving but at this point I'd be frustrated. 

On 7/19/2020 at 12:03 PM, Texsox said:

My son just vacationed in Colorado and planning hotels and routes based on superchargers wasn't an issue for him, but it would be for me. He also couldn't drive over to visit us because of charger locations. I know it will keep improving but at this point I'd be frustrated. 

The road trips I have done have never changed our route because of charging, or affected our destinations, but it obviously adds time to the trip. Last time I went to my buddy's house in Nashville I left Northwest Indiana I stopped for the first time south of Indy (150 miles, charged for 30 minutes), a second time in Louisville (110 miles, charged for 25 minutes), and then made it down the rest of the way to Nashville and then charged at his house in to a 110v outlet. So about an hour of charge time. 

That was also in the winter though, when range takes a hit. I'm doing the drive again in a month and I can make it down to Louisville on a single charge and not have to stop in Indy at all since the efficiency is better in the summer. But as these chargers start changing over to V3 chargers, the charge times are pretty much cut in half. You get back 150 miles in only 11 minutes. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...