White Sox draft thread: Day Three

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
Octavio Rodriguez, LHP, Franklin HS, HS, 6'04" 185lbs DOB: 04/04/95

@tavs27

"As a 6-foot-4, 205-pound lefty, Rodriguez has the prototypical pitcher's build. He can already hit 93 mph with his fastball and should see an increase in velocity once he fills out. His changeup and curve could also be above-average in the future. He is still somewhat raw, however, and needs to show better command of each of his pitches. Rodriguez is committed to Oklahoma and is considered a very tough sign. If he goes on to college, he has the potential to be a first-round pick in three years."

Scouting video - http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?topic_id=4039549...ent_id=27714739

This appears to be where we will put a lot of our money saved from the last 15-20 straight college players we have drafted.

Where is this kid from?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 06:09 PM)
Wolfie Tash, 3B, Venice HS, R/R, HS, 6'02" 195lbs DOB: 11/20/94

@mrbigw

Officially my favorite draftee name of our Sox draftees.

Didn't they draft a guy with the name Storm Throne or something last year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
We won't sign him unless someone in the top 10 surprises and won't sign, but at this point, you keep him away from other teams and start getting to know his family and such if you want to draft him in a couple years.

Reading the draft rules from the other fronts apparently you lose the slot value of the draft pick if you fail to sign any picks from first 10 rounds. That's why we took mostly under slot guys with a couple of possible over slot guys in those rounds. With Anderson not being in top 30 in any boards I've seen, there is a possibility he will sign for under slot as well. We should have some $$$ to spend on guys from round 11-40.

Looking our picks today, there aren't many tough signs with the exception of Matt Ball, Engel, and this Rodridguez kid. The sexy move is of course put all the marbles in and sign Rodriguez, and one of Ball or Engel, if we are up against the cap at that point.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Sicnarf Loopstock is a pretty f***ing awesome name.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Sicnarf is Francis backwards.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:16 AM)
I giggled at this for a good minute.

I found his Facebook page.

the guy looks like Trayvon Martin. I kid you not.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=497...e=1&theater

"Once we got through the three rounds and got the two athletes (Anderson and May) it was like, we're not going to switch up and take a pitcher because he's a pitcher, but if there was a tie or if it was close, we tended to go ahead and get some arms involved," Laumann said. "I think six of our seven picks, after we took May, ended up being pitchers."

Of the six Day 2 pitchers, only right-hander Thaddius Lowry was drafted straight from high school. The rest were all college starters or relievers who the White Sox could sign for some immediate help in restoring some arms to a barren system. Chicago broke up its second-day pitching spree with high school shortstop Trey Michalczewski, who could switch over to the hot corner at the next level.

The White Sox targeted more pitching early on Day 3, nabbing another high school starter in Bonita Vista right-hander Matt Ball from California and UNC-Charlotte starter Tyler Bernette, who was initially drafted by the Red Sox out of high school in the ninth round in 2010.

Laumann said the war room could hardly even notice that it was the first-year general manager Rick Hahn calling the shots and not executive vice president Kenny Williams. The mentality remained the same, and the war room only got more comfortable with Laumann in his sixth year with the organization.

"I'd like to think that they feel like we have an idea that with our experience level and some of the things we've done recently, they're willing to go ahead and have the freedom to do what we want to do," Laumann said. "There is more of a level of confidence with myself, my staff and everybody else involved. If you want to put it out there on this guy, go ahead and do it."

http://www.chisox.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 03:59 AM)
"Once we got through the three rounds and got the two athletes (Anderson and May) it was like, we're not going to switch up and take a pitcher because he's a pitcher, but if there was a tie or if it was close, we tended to go ahead and get some arms involved," Laumann said. "I think six of our seven picks, after we took May, ended up being pitchers."

Of the six Day 2 pitchers, only right-hander Thaddius Lowry was drafted straight from high school. The rest were all college starters or relievers who the White Sox could sign for some immediate help in restoring some arms to a barren system. Chicago broke up its second-day pitching spree with high school shortstop Trey Michalczewski, who could switch over to the hot corner at the next level.

The White Sox targeted more pitching early on Day 3, nabbing another high school starter in Bonita Vista right-hander Matt Ball from California and UNC-Charlotte starter Tyler Bernette, who was initially drafted by the Red Sox out of high school in the ninth round in 2010.

Laumann said the war room could hardly even notice that it was the first-year general manager Rick Hahn calling the shots and not executive vice president Kenny Williams. The mentality remained the same, and the war room only got more comfortable with Laumann in his sixth year with the organization.

"I'd like to think that they feel like we have an idea that with our experience level and some of the things we've done recently, they're willing to go ahead and have the freedom to do what we want to do," Laumann said. "There is more of a level of confidence with myself, my staff and everybody else involved. If you want to put it out there on this guy, go ahead and do it."

http://www.chisox.com

Kenny was vetoing all of the picks so it didn't change at all...

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
Octavio Rodriguez, LHP, Franklin HS, HS, 6'04" 185lbs DOB: 04/04/95

@tavs27

"As a 6-foot-4, 205-pound lefty, Rodriguez has the prototypical pitcher's build. He can already hit 93 mph with his fastball and should see an increase in velocity once he fills out. His changeup and curve could also be above-average in the future. He is still somewhat raw, however, and needs to show better command of each of his pitches. Rodriguez is committed to Oklahoma and is considered a very tough sign. If he goes on to college, he has the potential to be a first-round pick in three years."

Scouting video - http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?topic_id=4039549...ent_id=27714739

This appears to be where we will put a lot of our money saved from the last 15-20 straight college players we have drafted.

Octavio Rodriguez ‏@tavs27 16h

I want to thank the @whitesox for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime, honored to have been drafted by such a prestigious organization

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Final and 40th RD pick....

Ronell Coleman, 2B, Simeon Career Academy, S/R, HS, 5'05" 140lbs DOB: 11/22/94

No Twitter Found

He is 5 foot 5 inches!! Woah.

I'll bet it is someone from the White Sox academy again

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
Flipping over Egyptian buffet tables and calling everyone b****es

The good thing about cursing in ancient hieroglyphics is nobody understands what you're saying, unless of course you happen to be cursing in front of Zahi Hawass himself in which case he'll completely misinterpret what you're saying & if you mention anything about the Reptilian race he'll just gloss over it like a moron.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
The good thing about cursing in ancient hieroglyphics is nobody understands what you're saying, unless of course you happen to be cursing in front of Zahi Hawass himself in which case he'll completely misinterpret what you're saying & if you mention anything about the Reptilian race he'll just gloss over it like a moron.

The problem is when you force your subordinates to draft your son in hieroglyphics, no one understands.