Post-draft top 5 prospects

danman31

I think we had one of these only a few weeks ago, but give me your top 5 prospects in the system now that the draft is complete and the Sox have signed all their top guys. Plus, we've had a lot of Hawkins discussions leaking into various threads and I'm curious where people stand on him.

For me:

1. Erik Johnson

2. Tim Anderson

3. Trayce Thompson

4. Courtney Hawkins

5. Chris Beck (although depending on the day I could go with Carlos Sanchez here)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Erik Johnson - Throwing well for the AA Birmingham Barons

2) Tim Anderson

3) Courtney Hawkins - struggling in high-A ball

4) Carlos Sanchez - started the 2011 season in Bristol, and has worked his way up to AAA

5) Trayce Thompson - currently in AA

Josh Phegley is a pleasant surprise. Doing well in AAA at 25 years old.

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
1) Erik Johnson - Throwing well for the AA Birmingham Barons

2) Tim Anderson

3) Courtney Hawkins - struggling in high-A ball

4) Carlos Sanchez - started the 2011 season in Bristol, and has worked his way up to AAA

5) Trayce Thompson - currently in AA

Josh Phegley is a pleasant surprise. Doing well in AAA at 25 years old.

How about Brent Tanner catcher bats left handed but hitting only .346

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)

He's the same age as Phegley, and in High A ball. Phegley is up in AAA.

Edited by jthunder93

1. Erik Johnson

2. Courtney Hawkins

3. Trayce Thompson

4. Carlos Sanchez

5. Tim Anderson

Also considered Phegley and Semien, who I think are in the 6-10 range.

My personal view right now, post-draft, is that the system is still quite weak in elite talent... but that the 6-15 range has gotten stronger.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)

He's a 25 year old in A ball, he spent three seasons in rookie ball despite being a college draftee, and that .346 average comes in a whopping 16 games. He's not even starting on the teams he plays on, unless there are injuries.

You have to be careful just taking a player, position, and batting average and trying to make something of it. There are probably at least 6-7 catchers in the system that are better prospects (off hand but not in order: Phegley, Blanke, Smith, Ayala, Barraza, Gonzalez, Marjama), and this is not exactly a system loaded with catching talent.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
I'd go

1. E. Johnson

2. C. Hawkins

3. T. Anderson

4. T. Thompson

5. C. Sanchez

6. C. Beck

7. J. Phegley

8. M. Johnson

9. T. Danish

10. T. Michalczewski

Although at this point it could be a bunch of different players.

I'm fairly fond of this group and order, though I feel like Phegley is one of the hardest ones to pin down. At one point in time, a season like this at any level could have had at or near the top for us. Now he's playing out of his mind in AAA, isn't too old for the level, but nobody is quite ready to crown him yet. I am just as conflicted.

The main weakness to this list, IMO, is that none of these players (short of Phegley) appear to be close to the MLB. Johnson might be able to cut it now and should be ready by next season is all goes well, but after that it isn't looking so good. We would have Sanchez would be ready to arrive by next season, but that is in doubt. Maybe Trayce could be a year a way, but that seems optimistic as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
I'm fairly fond of this group and order, though I feel like Phegley is one of the hardest ones to pin down. At one point in time, a season like this at any level could have had at or near the top for us. Now he's playing out of his mind in AAA, isn't too old for the level, but nobody is quite ready to crown him yet. I am just as conflicted.

The main weakness to this list, IMO, is that none of these players (short of Phegley) appear to be close to the MLB. Johnson might be able to cut it now and should be ready by next season is all goes well, but after that it isn't looking so good. We would have Sanchez would be ready to arrive by next season, but that is in doubt. Maybe Trayce could be a year a way, but that seems optimistic as well.

I think we see 4 future sox in '14 before september. Flowers is on a heater right now I imagine they're going to give him all the opportunities in the world to see what they really have, so Phegley won't be coming up baring injury till Sept.

I foresee Ramirez being traded at the deadline or in the offseason and if Beckham can continue to be league average I think they give him one final look at SS, with that happening and possibly a decent showing the in the second half and AFL and spring maybe just maybe Sanchez gets the start at 2B. Peavy will be moved soon and I think we see Johnson get pushed up to AAA after the ASB and breaking with the sox next season with the sox dealing Axelrod for a low floor high celing project former top prospect [mariners are littered with them]. That leaves Trayce if he continues his hot hitting i think he will finish the year in Charlotte and could push for CF after Rios gets moved in the near future.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
I think we see 4 future sox in '14 before september. Flowers is on a heater right now I imagine they're going to give him all the opportunities in the world to see what they really have, so Phegley won't be coming up baring injury till Sept.

I foresee Ramirez being traded at the deadline or in the offseason and if Beckham can continue to be league average I think they give him one final look at SS, with that happening and possibly a decent showing the in the second half and AFL and spring maybe just maybe Sanchez gets the start at 2B. Peavy will be moved soon and I think we see Johnson get pushed up to AAA after the ASB and breaking with the sox next season with the sox dealing Axelrod for a low floor high celing project former top prospect [mariners are littered with them]. That leaves Trayce if he continues his hot hitting i think he will finish the year in Charlotte and could push for CF after Rios gets moved in the near future.

I doubt they move Erik Johnson to AAA. They've historically not been afraid to call up pitchers straight from AA and I believe if we see him in Chicago that's where he'll come up from. Also, Thompson should spend the whole year in AA. He's just 22. No need to rush him, especially since he hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball (although he has played very well in the last month).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
I doubt they move Erik Johnson to AAA. They've historically not been afraid to call up pitchers straight from AA and I believe if we see him in Chicago that's where he'll come up from. Also, Thompson should spend the whole year in AA. He's just 22. No need to rush him, especially since he hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball (although he has played very well in the last month).

I'd like to agree with you, but this is the White Sox we're talking about. No matter how many times I think they should give a guy an entire year at a level, they push him upwards aggressively.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I'd like to agree with you, but this is the White Sox we're talking about. No matter how many times I think they should give a guy an entire year at a level, they push him upwards aggressively.

are they big on mid-season promotions though? I don't really remember that. Playoffs, yes. Start of season, yes. Midseason?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
are they big on mid-season promotions though? I don't really remember that. Playoffs, yes. Start of season, yes. Midseason?

In the minors? They do it some, at their all star breaks. Also tends to coincide with draft picks coming into the system, which sometimes pushes some guys around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)

IIRC they emptied Birmingham of everyone I wanted to see right around the AS break last year so I got a very depleted 2nd half roster.

1.) Erik Johnson

2.) Tim Anderson

3.) Courtney Hawkins

4.) Trayce Thompson

5.) Micah Johnson

6.) Carlos Sanchez

7.) Tyler Danish

8.) Keon Barnum

9.) Trey Michalczewski

10.) Andrew Mitchell

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)

I don't think Beckham is going anywhere if we go to rebuilding mode.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
1.) Erik Johnson

2.) Tim Anderson

3.) Courtney Hawkins

4.) Trayce Thompson

5.) Micah Johnson

6.) Carlos Sanchez

7.) Tyler Danish

8.) Keon Barnum

9.) Trey Michalczewski

10.) Andrew Mitchell

Welcome to Soxtalk. Interesting to see 5 of the 10 are guys drafted in the last two years.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
1.) Erik Johnson

2.) Tim Anderson

3.) Courtney Hawkins

4.) Trayce Thompson

5.) Micah Johnson

6.) Carlos Sanchez

7.) Tyler Danish

8.) Keon Barnum

9.) Trey Michalczewski

10.) Andrew Mitchell

Welcome to the board, and I don't know if it's good or bad for you that I completely agree with your top 10 except I'd put Beck in instead of Mitchell.

The only draft pick id put in the top 10 is Tim Anderson. With the rest, its way too early to tell.

1. Hawkins

2. Erik Johnson

3. Trayce Thompson

4. Tim Anderson

5. Carlos Sanchez

6. Phegley

7. Marcus Semien

8. Scott Snodgress (has struggled, still a lot to like)

9. Daniel Webb (A reliever but hey, this system is still really bad)

10. Micah Johnson

I know the Sox system is bad, but it's hard for me to get behind a RH SP that sits in the high 80's as their #1 prospect.

1. Courtney Hawkins

2. Trayce Thompson - He's made real strides this season with a career high BB% and career low K%. Though it appears the Barons park is sapping his power.

3. Erik Johnson

4. Tim Anderson

5. Carlos Sanchez - I'm surprised how many people are putting Micah Johnson ahead of him. 22 year old's in Low-A should be putting up monster numbers. Sanchez is the youngest player in the international league, so it's somewhat to be expected that he struggles.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
I know the Sox system is bad, but it's hard for me to get behind a RH SP that sits in the high 80's as their #1 prospect.

1. Courtney Hawkins

2. Trayce Thompson - He's made real strides this season with a career high BB% and career low K%. Though it appears the Barons park is sapping his power.

3. Erik Johnson

4. Tim Anderson

5. Carlos Sanchez - I'm surprised how many people are putting Micah Johnson ahead of him. 22 year old's in Low-A should be putting up monster numbers. Sanchez is the youngest player in the international league, so it's somewhat to be expected that he struggles.

What makes you think this? Almost everything I've read has Johnson sitting at 92-93, with the capability to run it up higher than that on occasion.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)

I've yet to hear this from anywhere.

***Chicago White Sox pitching prospect Erik Johnson had a great start for Double-A Birmingham yesterday, fanning 10 over seven innings of work in a 3-1 victory over Huntsville. He now has a 1.07 ERA with a 25/5 K/BB in 25 innings with just 14 hits allowed. A second round pick from the University of California in 2011, Johnson does not get nearly as much attention as he deserves. He has a low-to-mid-90s fastball, along with a curve, slider, and changeup. He's throwing strikes and has a good statistical track record. Performance and stuff plus an early-round draft pedigree equals prospect. Don't ignore him.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/4/23/4...ameday-april-23

Edited by DirtySox