Post-draft top 5 prospects

danman31

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
What makes you think this? Almost everything I've read has Johnson sitting at 92-93, with the capability to run it up higher than that on occasion.

I've watched 3 separate Johnson starts on MiLB.tv this year (including today) and I've never seen him hit above 90. Generally sits 87-89. FWIW, all 3 starts have been Barons home games, so it's possible they have a slow gun.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
What makes you think this? Almost everything I've read has Johnson sitting at 92-93, with the capability to run it up higher than that on occasion.

I was actually about to post that exact same velocity range. And the scouting reports I've read say he can get it up to about 96 mph. So he may not have ace-like stuff, but with his control he has #2/#3 starter potential and a very high floor. On top of that, he's easily the surest prospect in the system, so he's totally an acceptable number one prospect, especially in a system like ours.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
Pitchers lose velocity on their fastball all the time, so it's possible that's what's happened with him. It's also possible the Barons have a slow gun. I can only go off what I've seen.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
Welcome to Soxtalk. Interesting to see 5 of the 10 are guys drafted in the last two years.

Thanks for the welcomes, appreciate it. I think they have drafted much better in the last two years than they did before, that's why I have so many guys from those drafts in my top 10.

As for the Erik Johnson debate, I've also seen that he sits right around 92-93 but can get into the mid 90's at times. Even so, if he was topping out in the 80's, he must be doing something right to be getting the type of numbers he has. I think right now he is looking like a #2 upside type of guy.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
I think a few people are too bullish on Michalczewski. He got third round type money, not first round. He's a nice get and a good prospect, but he shouldn't be near Barnum.

The excitement may be a little premature, but I really liked how he looked in all the prospect videos I saw. He's got a smooth, compact swing that generates a lot of pop from both sides of the plate and his frame is perfect for third base. It may just be grasping at straws, but I think he could end up being the real deal.

I think people are a little over-excited about Micah Johnson. He's definitely going to jump up the rankings, maybe even the back end of the Top 10. But Top 5? Not yet, anyway.

On the Johnson debate, if the games were played at Tennesee (who the Barons play regularly), make sure to add 3-4 ticks to the gun. That's just one example I know of, but some of the guns at these parks are off. EJ is low 90's typically, can run to mid-90's.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:10 AM)
I think people are a little over-excited about Micah Johnson. He's definitely going to jump up the rankings, maybe even the back end of the Top 10. But Top 5? Not yet, anyway.

On the Johnson debate, if the games were played at Tennesee (who the Barons play regularly), make sure to add 3-4 ticks to the gun. That's just one example I know of, but some of the guns at these parks are off. EJ is low 90's typically, can run to mid-90's.

This was a point I was going to make. You have to take minor league guns with a grain of salt because a lot of them are quite inaccurate. It's best to listen to scouting reports from guys behind the plate on velocity readings.

He's got one great tool when looking at his numbers. His errors scare me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
He's got one great tool when looking at his numbers. His errors scare me.

Well hold on now, he's also hitting and getting on base at very good clips. Even shows a little power. He's not a one-tool guy. We'll see how the hit and power tools develop, but I wouldn't dismiss them yet either.

I can't remember who said Webb was throwing nearly 100....

It was someone who watched a game and was told the Birmingham readings were 3-4 MPH too low on the radar gun.

From everything we read, he's consistently 91-92-93. Touching mid 90's.

I simply refuse to believe at that size he's in Dylan Axelrod territory in terms of velocity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)

It was someone who watched a game and was told the Birmingham readings were 3-4 MPH too low on the radar gun.

I simply refuse to believe at that size he's in Dylan Axelrod territory in terms of velocity.

I've seen reliable reports putting him upper 90's pretty consistently. Not sure where you've read low 90's consistently.

I'm pretty excited about Micah Johnson, but he's not super duper young and he's still at a very low level. Likewise, he doesn't really have a defensive position. I'm happy to let him develop as a 2B, but one glance at that error number tells you that he's far from ready to field at a MLB level. Delayed gratification on him, for sure.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)
I've seen reliable reports putting him upper 90's pretty consistently. Not sure where you've read low 90's consistently.

I was referring to Erik Johnson with the second part. Someone earlier in the thread questioning his velocity and putting him exclusively in the high 80's.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)

Me. He hit 100. Guarantee it.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 06:58 AM)
Thanks for the welcomes, appreciate it. I think they have drafted much better in the last two years than they did before, that's why I have so many guys from those drafts in my top 10.

As for the Erik Johnson debate, I've also seen that he sits right around 92-93 but can get into the mid 90's at times. Even so, if he was topping out in the 80's, he must be doing something right to be getting the type of numbers he has. I think right now he is looking like a #2 upside type of guy.

We've all read the same scouting reports. On the Barons gun, in the 3 starts I've seen, I'm yet to see him above 90 MPH. Though it's possible I may have missed a fastball above that, each start I've seen (including yesterday) he sat in the high 80's. I'll try to watch the next time one his road starts is shown, to see if this is an issue with the Barons gun, or if we should be concerned about his velo.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
I saw in the Tribune today that both Tim Anderson and Keon Barnum will be heading to Kannapolis.

Why are they sending Barnum just now?