Who are our trading partners?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
Interesting if not ridiculous trade ideas here. Undervaluing our players because the Sox are slumping is not good baseball sense

Some undervalue, but you also overvalue. If these guys were better, the Sox would be better and we would not be having this conversation.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
They might have the best pitching staff in the majors. Anyways, who knows how much longer they can hang on to Travis Snider too. I also have no problem with Tabata either.

Alexei and De Aza for Snider, Tabata, Barmes, and Stetson Allie (the former pitcher, now hitter, who is absolutely destroying Low-A ball pitching, and yes, I know it's Low-A ball, but still)

I love that deal & I'd totally make it right now.

DeAza for Tabata is basically a wash, maybe Pitt thinks there's more potential upside there, but there's also not the money owed hanging there. For the Sox, Tabata becomes the corner guy you plug in wherever, and you use a bigger piece to target a run producer in either corner, or else hit FA for it. Allows the Sox the flexibility also to go after a CF.

Meanwhile Alexei's contract is gone, and you get some shot in the dark plug ins to go with it. Barmes covers you for this year, and if Sanchez starts to show the org he's ready to learn at any point in time then you bring him up & who cares about Barmes, just a stop gap anyway.

I'd do that deal.

But first I'd try to get the Dodgers or someone to take Alexei's deal while absorbing Dunn (because if I could clear his 2014 salary somehow without giving up a major piece I do it, and then I look to sign a FA to a front-loaded contract using Dunn's "sunk cost" money). But if I can't connect on that hail mary, I definitely look for the type of deal you are proposing.

And I still want Axelrod for Arrieta.

And I also want Eduardo Escobar back if we can get him without giving up much. Love his attitude & I really think his ceiling as an offensive player is higher than a strict UT guy. And I don't care who disagrees with me either.

Arrieta scares me because he's gotten chance after chance and failed. Maybe there's some Gavin Floyd in there, maybe you can turn him into a reliever, but I'd rather have the smart and crafty pitcher over the million dollar arm and ten cent brain. If I'm dealing Axelrod, it's similar to the Hanson/Walden trade the Braves and Angels made this offseason (not that Axelrod is Tommy Hanson, but he has put up similar numbers to Hanson).

I'm not even worrying about getting rid of Dunn. Get value for those you can rather than trying to have teams eat contracts and losing out on talent. Dunn is a sunk cost who can be an effective bat against RHP.

Also, I was going to bring up Eduardo Escobar too and how it'd be nice to have him back. From what I've seen and read, I would have trusted him defensively at SS more than anyone else, and he's a good contact hitter. A mini Ozzie, if you will.

The Twins seem committed to Florimon so I don't think they'd ask the world for Eduardo, but at the same time, when he was acquired Terry Ryan said they think he's more than a UT type, so if he's their backup plan then they'd want something decent for him. I'm not sure there's a match but I'd go Nate Jones & plug in Eduardo after an Alexei deal.

Re: Arrieta, I think that if Coop & the entire Sox organization can turn Floyd around then you take a shot if you can. Floyd was the prototypical bust, huge arm, high draft pick, mentally shaky, chance after chance he just doesn't get it, etc. The way I see it though, the Sox aren't keeping 4 LH starters, so there are 2 righties, Peavy is one, and Axe is holding the spot that is probably going to go to Erik Johnson pretty soon. So if you use Axe's rotation time on a big armed project like Arrieta (or someone else in that mold, i.e. huge arm with zero results who can be acquired cheaply), then rather than simply buying time, you are taking a shot at a second righty who, should he develop, would make Peavy expendable when Johnson is ready, or would push back Johnson which would push back Beck which would create a potential logjam of RHSP which is always a great thing.

BTW the main reason I want to deal BattleAxe isn't because I don't like him or want him, it's because he's better than I ever thought he'd be, but he's not really too useful on a team that needs to develop players and badly needs talent & ceiling, he's much more useful on a team that needs to win right now & has a black hole in the 5 slot. You definitely keep Axe if you get s*** for offers, but if you get a player offered to you whose value is way down because of failure, but whose talent level is tantalizing & whose ceiling is far higher than Axe's, then I think now is the time to make that deal if you can.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
Interesting if not ridiculous trade ideas here. Undervaluing our players because the Sox are slumping is not good baseball sense

The Sox aren't slumping...they're bad. There's not point in hanging onto some of these guys and remaining in baseball hell.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
eh, he's been pretty incredible for the last 2 years worth of pitching

Since joining the Pirates bullpen-

122 IP, 2.29 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 178 K (13.1 K/9), 44 BB (3.2 BB/9), and 9 HR.

I heard he added a new pitch...anyone know what it is?

The Pirates could certainly use a SS and a return of Justin Wilson, Dilson Herrera, and Andrew Oliver would be a pretty good deal for both sides. The Dodgers are out of it and won't be adding any pieces to contend this year, so they are probably out of any moves we will make unless they try to dump an OF.

The Reds could use a SS and a LHRP so a package of Alexei and Thornton may be attractive to them.

The A's and Orioles need an upgrade at 2B.

With Tex's season in jeopardy, the Yanks could be looking for an upgrade at 1B.

Orioles also need an upgrade at DH.

The Rangers, Orioles, Rockies, Padres, and Royals need SP help.

I wonder what the Rays would give up for Reed?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
The Pirates could certainly use a SS and a return of Justin Wilson, Dilson Herrera, and Andrew Oliver would be a pretty good deal for both sides. The Dodgers are out of it and won't be adding any pieces to contend this year, so they are probably out of any moves we will make unless they try to dump an OF.

The Reds could use a SS and a LHRP so a package of Alexei and Thornton may be attractive to them.

The A's and Orioles need an upgrade at 2B.

With Tex's season in jeopardy, the Yanks could be looking for an upgrade at 1B.

Orioles also need an upgrade at DH.

The Rangers, Orioles, Rockies, Padres, and Royals need SP help.

I wonder what the Rays would give up for Reed?

Probably a package based around Odorizzi would be my guess.

Edited by iamshack

Which teams are likely be in on the following players, assuming they hit the market:

Crain

Thornton

Lindstrom

Alexei

DeAza

Rios

Reed

Who needs these guys & what are we going to get for them? List the suitors & make up some deals.

Texas, Texas, Texas. They need starting pitching, or the bottom will fall out on their season.

As far as a deal? Peavy for Olt and Alfaro seems fair.

Pittsburgh needs SS help pretty badly, and they have a nice system too. Collectively, they have a .532 OPS from the SS position and their normal starter, Clint Barmes, has an OPS of .496 this year and it's at .568 over his last 198 games.

Mercer is their new starter, and he is better offensively than Alexi.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Mercer is their new starter, and he is better offensively than Alexi.

We'll see how long he keeps it up. He's been pretty solid in his last 450 plate appearances or so, but has a career minor league OPS of .730. He has been trending upwards, but, like I said, we'll see how long it lasts.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
Depending on what Hahn is expecting of the '14 season, I would actually expect him to deal Reed this winter.

Don't the White Sox need a plan before they start dealing pitching? Or are we planning on a last place stay of 5-10 years? Seriously. We have good pitching. Do we trade it all and become a 50-win team for a long time to come? What is the plan?I've yet to see anybody on here talk about what Hahn's plan will be. We're just talking about trading all facets of the team for I presume minor leaguers.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
How bout Rios, Viciedo and Keppinger to the Royals for Danny Duffy and 2 of their top minor league prospects or for Duffy and Moustakas (who looks like Teahen at this point) and one minor leaguer who is good.

So, trade those three for a guy you compare to Teahen, and a guy who is coming off Tommy John, and some magical "good" minor leaguer.

Arent you the one always b****ing when we trade with KC?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
So, trade those three for a guy you compare to Teahen, and a guy who is coming off Tommy John, and some magical "good" minor leaguer.

Arent you the one always b****ing when we trade with KC?

I guess I meant he might be available now since he's looking like a bust like Teahen, a change of scenery guy. They actually could use Rios/and or Viciedo so I saw them as a trade partner.They also could use Beckham.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Don't the White Sox need a plan before they start dealing pitching? Or are we planning on a last place stay of 5-10 years? Seriously. We have good pitching. Do we trade it all and become a 50-win team for a long time to come? What is the plan?I've yet to see anybody on here talk about what Hahn's plan will be. We're just talking about trading all facets of the team for I presume minor leaguers.

No. The White Sox are in a position where they absolutely need to deal starting pitching. When Peavy comes back, the Sox will be sitting on 6 major league level starters again. They could run a 6 man rotation for a week or two until the deadline and maybe skip a Sale start or something like that, but doing that for more than a couple turns is intolerable with a staff full of young guys who can benefit from work, and moving Axelrod or Santiago to the bullpen is intolerable given that they're legit pieces who could be even bigger contributors next year if we give them their time this year.

If you're worried about pitching depth next year, starter #6 next year is named Erik Johnson, he'll be sitting at Charlotte waiting for a shot, and then there are other fill-in options if we need a spot start.

I don't know which starter it will be, but one of the starters needs moved in July unless we've somehow climbed back into the race.

I want Wade Davis from KC, really want that guy. Hosmer too, and Moose would be a nice project. There's a ton of risk there so I doubt anything is likely.

I haven't seen Martin play but I know he was a top prospect, what about something involving Santiago for Martin. Santiago + DeAza for Martin + prospect.

Or maybe you expand it, Rios + Santiago for Martin + prospects, if they wanted to try Alex in CF again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
I guess I meant he might be available now since he's looking like a bust like Teahen, a change of scenery guy. They actually could use Rios/and or Viciedo so I saw them as a trade partner.They also could use Beckham.

And I bet the change of scenery gets Viciedo going? Why in the world would you give up on Viciedo already just to get a guy like Moustakas who looks much worse?

I'm not entirely sure KC is a viable trading partner right now. Neither of these teams are going to want to trade a guy that could turn into a stud and get beat by them for years and years when both will be entering a semi-rebuilding period.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
No. The White Sox are in a position where they absolutely need to deal starting pitching. When Peavy comes back, the Sox will be sitting on 6 major league level starters again. They could run a 6 man rotation for a week or two until the deadline and maybe skip a Sale start or something like that, but doing that for more than a couple turns is intolerable with a staff full of young guys who can benefit from work, and moving Axelrod or Santiago to the bullpen is intolerable given that they're legit pieces who could be even bigger contributors next year if we give them their time this year.

If you're worried about pitching depth next year, starter #6 next year is named Erik Johnson, he'll be sitting at Charlotte waiting for a shot, and then there are other fill-in options if we need a spot start.

I don't know which starter it will be, but one of the starters needs moved in July unless we've somehow climbed back into the race.

I said before that we have some ideas floated out there that really undervalue our players. I have seen where we trade three starting position players for some minor leaguers, etc. I think pitching is our strength so the ones I might consider trading would include Peavy and maybe Thornton. Keep our young pitchers and don't be so quick to give up on the likes of Beckham, Ramirez and Rios. Build around your strength. Ramirez does concern me some and if Carlos Sanchez is really the real thing maybe he can step in that spot, but I think we have a real strong DP combo in Alexei and Gordon