Do you know MLB rules?

IlliniKrush

Only one I got wrong was #6. I never realized that was part of the rule. I wonder how a shift for Dunn, etc., affects that rule?

I knew #5, but I swear I've seen situations where it should have been called but wasn't.

Even though I got #3 right, it was a bulls*** question. When do the Cubs ever get two runners on with nobody out??

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
#5 felt like I've seen this called wrong, or maybe the runners tagged up anyway and were always safe, so it never mattered.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
I knew #5, but I swear I've seen situations where it should have been called but wasn't.

I immediately though of Uribe's catch in the 05 WS. There was a runner on second and he wasn't allowed to advance.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Figured this thread was a good place to ask this. J.B. Shuck made this catch last night where he fell into the crowd in fair territory on a home run ball. Why is this not a home run? The ball landed over the fence, albeit in a player's glove. What's the rule on that?

He was still in the field of play as he made the jump for the ball. His momentum is what took him over the wall. The reason it was considered an out is because he came out of the stands with the ball, and therefore threw it. If Shuck would have just thrown the ball from beyond the fence, a home run would have been credited, but he clearly knew the rule.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
He was still in the field of play as he made the jump for the ball. His momentum is what took him over the wall. The reason it was considered an out is because he came out of the stands with the ball, and therefore threw it. If Shuck would have just thrown the ball from beyond the fence, a home run would have been credited, but he clearly knew the rule.

Interesting. I definitely have never heard of the rule about throwing the ball from the stands. Thanks!

QUOTE (qwerty @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)

This isn't correct. The first part is right, it's a catch as he hadn't landed in dead ball territory. It's considered an out because he caught the ball, and didn't lose control or drop it while completing the catch.

However, once he falls and lands in dead ball territory after the catch, the ball is immediately dead. Him coming out and throwing didn't make a difference. It was dead, and the base runner was awarded second base, as it's a one base award.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)

That's awesome.

Called strike looked to be a ball, I'll absolutely give him that. But standing around in the batters box arguing and making motions for that long..you're f***ing yourself, and if he wanted, he could have tossed him right there.

Then to step out AFTER all that, and he said/motioned to step back in, and he appeared to say something back to him and not move...easy strike call, zero issue with it. You can't see the rest, but if he still wasn't moving...well then you're done.

I'll now wait for all the f***ING UMPIRES BUNCH OF PRICKS posts. Whatever.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
That's awesome.

Called strike looked to be a ball, I'll absolutely give him that. But standing around in the batters box arguing and making motions for that long..you're f***ing yourself, and if he wanted, he could have tossed him right there.

Then to step out AFTER all that, and he said/motioned to step back in, and he appeared to say something back to him and not move...easy strike call, zero issue with it. You can't see the rest, but if he still wasn't moving...well then you're done.

I'll now wait for all the f***ING UMPIRES BUNCH OF PRICKS posts. Whatever.

Oh no, I think it's awesome. There are times when umps are out of line, but the fact of the matter is blatant disrespect towards umpires is not something to be tolerated. I'm glad he was able to ring this douchebag up before ejecting him from the game.