You = Hahn. Do you heavily shop Reed, Yes or No?

You are Hahn. Do you heavily shop Reed for what you would consider fair market value for a pre-arb closer mid season?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

Your Granderson reasoning is that he "can't hit lefties." Riddle me this, how many left handed starters are in the AL Central teams have left handed starters? This is off hand, but I think I count 5 - and 4 of them are on the White Sox. Sooo...that seems like a pretty good fit, doesn't it?

Murphy could play anywhere, Kubel could play wherever, any of these guys can play wherever. The idea isn't to pidgeonhole these guys into these roles...most likely the Sox will never be connected with them. The idea is to show that there are free agents available that can be upgrades that can be had at relatively fair prices. The Sox will have money and the idea of them not spending any of it is absurd.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
Your Granderson reasoning is that he "can't hit lefties." Riddle me this, how many left handed starters are in the AL Central teams have left handed starters? This is off hand, but I think I count 5 - and 4 of them are on the White Sox. Sooo...that seems like a pretty good fit, doesn't it?

Murphy could play anywhere, Kubel could play wherever, any of these guys can play wherever. The idea isn't to pidgeonhole these guys into these roles...most likely the Sox will never be connected with them. The idea is to show that there are free agents available that can be upgrades that can be had at relatively fair prices. The Sox will have money and the idea of them not spending any of it is absurd.

The problem is they either need to really spend or why bother?

Just to be sort of respectable and not lose 100 games? What's the point of adding one or two of those guys and only losing 87-93 instead?

LHer's pitching against Adam Dunn have been a pretty big deal that last 2 1/2 seasons, have they not? And we've already been eliminated this season before we've played more than 60-65% of our divisional games.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
I don't see the catchers going anywhere, I think all three probably re-sign,

I'd be really surprised if the Braves signed McCann now. Not only is that not their traditional M.O...Evan Gattis is kinda making that decision easy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)

Just to be sort of respectable and not lose 100 games? What's the point of adding one or two of those guys and only losing 87-93 instead?

LHer's pitching against Adam Dunn have been a pretty big deal that last 2 1/2 seasons, have they not? And we've already been eliminated this season before we've played more than 60-65% of our divisional games.

Granderson actually makes a ton of sense to me if they hire a manager willing to view the DH as a rotating spot. Granderson could play some corner OF and some DH and Granderson, Dunn, and Viciedo could all rotate through that spot.

If you add in another player who can play 1b and hit from the right side (crazy idea, Morneau) this could actually work, be fairly effective, and keep the veteran guys in the lineup as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
You think?

Can't tell if sarcasm? Yes, the Braves know when to let guys go. That's what they do; when they have youth ready to step in, they let the veteran go. They have no where to play Gattis now as it is, they're shoving him into the OF just to get him at bats, and their OF should be set up for 5 years with 2 Uptons and Heyward.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
Granderson actually makes a ton of sense to me if they hire a manager willing to view the DH as a rotating spot. Granderson could play some corner OF and some DH and Granderson, Dunn, and Viciedo could all rotate through that spot.

If you add in another player who can play 1b and hit from the right side (crazy idea, Morneau) this could actually work, be fairly effective, and keep the veteran guys in the lineup as well.

How likely is Morneau ever to get his power back?

It's an idea, others have suggested it, because he's not going to get nearly as much money as before...just like Konerko, were he to stay another year.

The problem with all these moves is we're becoming like the Royals....a Francouer here, Bloomquist there, Jose Guillen, Gil Meche.

Back to the Marty theory. Are Granderson or Morneau or whoever really going to be here for the next playoff team?

I don't know about playing Wilkins or if anyone in the front office really believes he's a legit prospect, but it's a mess if they don't fix C and CF before next season, and you can probably add SS as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
How likely is Morneau ever to get his power back?

It's an idea, others have suggested it, because he's not going to get nearly as much money as before...just like Konerko, were he to stay another year.

Not sure he's very likely to get a lot of power back, but his splits are extreme. Last year against RHP: .902 OPS, LHP .569 OPS.

We're stuck with Dunn anyway for next year, so Morneau actually fits next to him. Granderson next year would be the match with Viciedo and then Morneau/Granderson could fill the DH role the next year if they were signed to multi-year deals.

Just brainstorming out loud. Maybe Andy Wilkins seizes control of this position in August and never lets it go. Stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
Back to the Marty theory. Are Granderson or Morneau or whoever really going to be here for the next playoff team?

With this pitching staff and the money coming off the books this year, there is zero reason why this team cannot attempt to be competitive in 2014. Between guys added in trades this deadline and having money to spend this offseason, the Sox have the ability to fill the holes on their offense and make themselves a formidable team.

Of course, they also need to remember how to catch the f***ing ball. If they can't do that, they could do lots of upgrades and still fail, because high-schoolers play the game with better fundamentals than this team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
With this pitching staff and the money coming off the books this year, there is zero reason why this team cannot attempt to be competitive in 2014. Between guys added in trades this deadline and having money to spend this offseason, the Sox have the ability to fill the holes on their offense and make themselves a formidable team.

Of course, they also need to remember how to catch the f***ing ball. If they can't do that, they could do lots of upgrades and still fail, because high-schoolers play the game with better fundamentals than this team.

Then we'll be back to 2007 with the bullpen.

We know Crain, Thornton and Lindstrom will likely be gone. And maybe even Reed. Is Jones really going to be reliable in Crain's role for 2014? I just don't see it at the moment, with his control issues and getting behind in counts.

That is going to be a major repair job. We all saw in 2011 and early in 2012 what a shaky bullpen could do to a team's confidence.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
Then we'll be back to 2007 with the bullpen.

We know Crain, Thornton and Lindstrom will likely be gone. And maybe even Reed. Is Jones really going to be reliable in Crain's role for 2014? I just don't see it at the moment, with his control issues and getting behind in counts.

That is going to be a major repair job. We all saw in 2011 and early in 2012 what a shaky bullpen could do to a team's confidence.

It seems like it's already being whispered that Webb could have a shot at that role. Dude does throw 100.

I'll agree though, there will need to be a veteran presence brought into that bullpen this offseason. Who it is, I dunno, and how many, I dunno; depends on what guys like Webb and perhaps SRod do if they get callups in August/September.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
It seems like it's already being whispered that Webb could have a shot at that role. Dude does throw 100.

I'll agree though, there will need to be a veteran presence brought into that bullpen this offseason. Who it is, I dunno, and how many, I dunno; depends on what guys like Webb and perhaps SRod do if they get callups in August/September.

Hopefully they do well.

I like that the Sox are pushing this & not the papers. Those guys pushed Adkins, Link, Anthony Carter, the list just goes on.

Marinez still has a big arm. Maybe he does something.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
August and September should hopefully be exciting months for the die hards who have wanted to rebuild for a while. I think you could see as many as 6 new starters offensively and a whole slew of new pitchers in the bullpen.

I'd be floored if that were the case. Not against it, but don't see it happening.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)

Morneau bats left handed.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Someone vote YES & tie this poll up please.

I tried, but it came too late.

I would approve of the Sox shopping every half-way marketable asset they have - including Sale - simply because I'm not sure who would be left regardless the next time we're able to contend for anything more than a Central title (which isn't something I really live for). I want them to accumulate as much young talent as possible (please rebuild the wasteland that is our farm system!), and then leverage our mid-size budget by filling in gaps with free agents.

No, you don't heavily shop him but you listen to offers, like you would do with anyone on the roster when the team is this bad. However, with Reed as opposed to some of the other guys we might be willing to depart with, you can hold out for a great package as Reed can be considered part of the retooling/rebuilding.

Reed definitely has the potential to be a top of the line closer for the next ten years, as he has good stuff but more importantly he has become a better pitcher over the past 2 years. However, there is no way the Tigers will overpay for Reed by giving up their top prospect and one of the best prospects in baseball who can play 3B or LF. If anything, the best chance the White Sox have at acquiring Castellanos is if Peralta gets suspended soon for PED's. If that happens, you might be able to get the Tigers to overpay for a combo of Alexei and a reliever, and be willing to pay Castellanos (still doubt they would ever trade him within the division though unless they know something everyone else doesn't) as there really wouldn't be any other SS on the market as attractive as Alexei for a team thats trying to win now who just had a massive hole at SS open up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)

You don't have to compete next year so much as you need to get pieces in place to begin to compete again. Granderson is older than I thought - 33 next year - so signing him to a 4 year deal seems a little crazy. Still, a 3 year deal with an option is a possibility and, though it has a chance to blow up ala Dunn, Granderson's athletic enough that he should still provide positive value throughout the course of the deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
You don't have to compete next year so much as you need to get pieces in place to begin to compete again. Granderson is older than I thought - 33 next year - so signing him to a 4 year deal seems a little crazy. Still, a 3 year deal with an option is a possibility and, though it has a chance to blow up ala Dunn, Granderson's athletic enough that he should still provide positive value throughout the course of the deal.

Key with Granderson is going to be whether he can spend a fair amount of time in the latter years at the DH spot. If he can, then I'm good with it. If we sign another DH, then I'm not.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
So if you had to choose between Curtis Granderson for more money per year but 2 years and a club option for 2016 (w/ buyout) or Kendrys Morales for 3 guaranteed years at the same total amount as Granderson, which would you choose?

This is a really good question for once and I compliment you on asking it. I lean Granderson but this is really provocative.