You = Hahn. Do you heavily shop Reed, Yes or No?

You are Hahn. Do you heavily shop Reed for what you would consider fair market value for a pre-arb closer mid season?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)
IMO the trade winds forum only makes sense when the team is in contention/worth watching, because then it separates your general team talk from trade rumors. HOwever during this kind of season there is no reason, because new players (whether potential trade acquisitions, signings, call-ups, etc.) are the only interesting part anyway.

Good point.

This time last year, we already had Youkilis if I remember correctly...but that was cause by Valentine and Middlebrooks, a unique confluence of circumstances.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I know there's been talk about acquiring Iglesias and honestly I love the kid's defense. If we could get him at SS that would be a huge plus in the future and he doesn't hit arbitration years til '16. I don't like buying high on him but either him or Middlebrooks don't have a spot in Boston. While obviously you can't be sure, you have to think one of them is on their way out. I would guess Middlebrooks since they are having great success with Iglesias at 3B right now.

I think Reed is a fit there but does anyone think they'd give up either Iglesias or Middlebrooks for him? I would love picking up either. I doubt Boston wants to have an Andrew Bailey part 2 but at the same time they are sitting atop the AL east with a back end of the bullpen that could use a solid closer. Andrew Bailey's 1.4 WHIP is nothing to instill confidence during a pennant race.

IMO, Middlebrooks is one of the most overrated players in the game. His success last year was propped by a .330ish BABIP despite a 25% K rate and a 4% walk rate. His rates are nearly the same this year (K's up to 27%) but with a 90 point BABIP drop, and he has performed to the tune of .192/.228./.389. Disgusting. If you guys hate watching Adam Dunn, imagine Adam Dunn with a 4% walk rate and way less power. I want nothing to do with Middlebrooks, especially not for Reed.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
I am always weary of BOS/NYY products. I would much rather prefer Iglesias but I feel Middlebrooks is a much more likely trade candidate.

I wish Iglesias never went on this tear because he could be had. With Drew holding SS for the year and Bogarets for the future there is no spot for Iglesias except 3B. I can't really see Boston putting a guy with a minimal power at 3rd though.

I really think they supplanting Alexei with Iglesias will not lose any production and perhaps improve defense. Then we can move Alexei and whatever we get back is gravy.

Yeah, I agree. I like Alexei, but we could use a longer-term, less expensive solution. Obviously Anderson is far away and might bust, and it looks like they think Sanchez is a 2B.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Yeah I am starting to think Alexei's contract becomes too much. The guy isn't hitting 15 HRs and 70 RBIs anymore and his OPS is dropping bad.

I am/was a big fan of Alexei but he's falling off offensively. I really feel like this year will be an outlier in his defensive statistics so maybe next year would make more sense to move him if we're not contending in July and his defensive performance is restored.

Either way, good SS are hard to come by. It wasn't long ago that Alexei was definitely in the argument as a top 5 SS. Even though power shouldn't be important from your SS it was a nice additive when he was at his peak.

HR/AB

'08 - 22.86

'09 - 36.13

'10 - 32.5

'11 - 40.93

'12 - 65.89

'13 - 296

Contract

'13 - 7 million

'14 - 9 million

'15 - 10 million

'16 - Team Option for 10 million, 1 million buy out

Anyone think the Cuban age factor may have played a role in his decrease of power?

This is what I think also. His contract will just become harder to move, and you have to think that by now he is what he is offensively. We should try to land a young SS if we can.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
This is what I think also. His contract will just become harder to move, and you have to think that by now he is what he is offensively. We should try to land a young SS if we can.

Marty34 argued this for months and months...

I don't know why you guys want to trade pitching. It's like you want us to be out of the race in April the next several years. You know how long it's going to take to rebuild if all facets of our team suck?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
I don't know why you guys want to trade pitching. It's like you want us to be out of the race in April the next several years. You know how long it's going to take to rebuild if all facets of our team suck?

Because we have so much of it that we're putting guys in the bullpen who should be in the rotation getting innings and we have more on the way even beyond that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)

It's not about trading pitching or hitting or whatever, it's about trading assets that don't have long term value. Like it or not, this combination of players blows and they won't win. You need to find the weakest points and replace them with something that will good for more than a few months. I cannot grasp the desire for people to argue that the team should stay committed to "winning now" by continuing to run the same s***ty players out year after year as they get older and worse.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
It's not about trading pitching or hitting or whatever, it's about trading assets that don't have long term value. Like it or not, this combination of players blows and they won't win. You need to find the weakest points and replace them with something that will good for more than a few months. I cannot grasp the desire for people to argue that the team should stay committed to "winning now" by continuing to run the same s***ty players out year after year as they get older and worse.

This thread is about Addison Reed. If he doesn't have value, why trade a guy who has a WHIP below 1.00 and strikes out more than one an inning, while making next to minimum?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
This thread is about Addison Reed. If he doesn't have value, why trade a guy who has a WHIP below 1.00 and strikes out more than one an inning, while making next to minimum?

I never said that Addison Reed did or didn't have value. I was trying to explain to Greg that I don't think it makes sense to say something like "we should trade pitching because it's the only good thing we have."

You trade from your strengths to shore up a weakness. It's common business practice.

We're going to be out of the race in April next year most likely. And there's nothing wrong with that if it gets us into another long period of contention.

BTW pitching is really the one thing we can do right as organization. As long as it isn't Sale, if it's a pitcher, I feel like we have a good shot at replacing him in a year or two. Not that it's easy, but it's our one real strength.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
We're going to be out of the race in April next year most likely.

I still disagree with this wholeheartedly.

The only reason why we'd willingly be out of it in April of next year is if we got great offers for guys like Reed, Rios, and Alexei. If teams surprise me an overpay for a number of our guys, it'll be worth it to punt on next season because we'll come away fat and happy and overloaded with talent.

If, instead, we receive fair offers for guys or even low offers for guys, we take the best offers for guys we have to move like Crain, Thornton, and (IMO) Peavy. After that, we wind up in a position where this team has money to spend in the offseason, a loaded starting rotation, a deep bullpen in need of 1 or 2 extra arms. Basically, we have to find a way to turn $30 million or so into an upgraded offense in the offseason in order to be competitive (and get the team's head reattached on defense).

IF teams give us fair offers for players, it makes sense to shoot for the division next year once again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)

The only reason why we'd willingly be out of it in April of next year is if we got great offers for guys like Reed, Rios, and Alexei. If teams surprise me an overpay for a number of our guys, it'll be worth it to punt on next season because we'll come away fat and happy and overloaded with talent.

If, instead, we receive fair offers for guys or even low offers for guys, we take the best offers for guys we have to move like Crain, Thornton, and (IMO) Peavy. After that, we wind up in a position where this team has money to spend in the offseason, a loaded starting rotation, a deep bullpen in need of 1 or 2 extra arms. Basically, we have to find a way to turn $30 million or so into an upgraded offense in the offseason in order to be competitive (and get the team's head reattached on defense).

IF teams give us fair offers for players, it makes sense to shoot for the division next year once again.

And I still can't believe you think we should move Peavy just to clear a rotation spot for Axelrod. Someone better pay a big price for him or you move him in the offseason. Axelrod should be a non-factor in our long-term decision-making.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)
And I still can't believe you think we should move Peavy just to clear a rotation spot for Axelrod. Someone better pay a big price for him or you move him in the offseason. Axelrod should be a non-factor in our long-term decision-making.

Every asset the team has should be made the most of.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
For 1.5 years and at a cost of $20 million more.

Are we really doing this? You're really going to argue that Axelrod is more valuable than Peavy?

If a team wants to win a World Series title, they will want a legit #2 starter in Peavy and not a #5 starter in Axelrod. This isn't even up for debate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)

If bullpen "depth" means just Reed and Jones, that's pretty scary. Even with 1-2 extra arms.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:05 AM)
He's also a pitcher that can help you win a World Series. Axelrod is the type of guy who would be dropped from a playoff roster.

Exactly. Axelrod screams mediocrity/independent league ball again soon.