NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDK, I think they have a chance to be pretty bad by the trade deadline, the real deadline in all this. I did a quick schedule look and I think they'll be 20-32 by then. They have 14 games against the West in this time frame (plus the second West road trip right before the deadline) and they'll lose most of those. I really feel they will miss the playoffs, just not sure where they will end up (just get into the Lottery right). Once the injuries start to pile up (we all know they will if Thibs keeps playing folks 35-40 minutes in blowouts), Kirk will be out at some point, Deng will be out, Noah will miss a game or two. The only way they avoid all this is if Teague and Snell are above and beyond what most think.

I'm semi-drunk, but I like this for the Kings. Yes, Gay's shooting has been terribly inefficient this year. But he's still young, an exceptional athlete, rebounds well for his position, and has all-defensive-type potential with his length (1.6 spg, 1.2 bpg). I don't know much about their new coach. But Cousins is having his best year and Isaiah Thomas (who'll be starting now) has been insane. Cousins/Gay/Williams/McLemore/Thomas is crazy athletic and should be fun to watch. Worse case Gay doesn't work out and they've got a fat expiring deal for next year.

Random rant: how the hell is Denver 12-8? Their best player is Lawson (solid, but probably not an All-star out west) and their second best is....Faried? Chandler? I don't even know. I thought this would be a diaster season until Gallinari returned, instead they're pretty good.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Random rant: how the hell is Denver 12-8? Their best player is Lawson (solid, but probably not an All-star out west) and their second best is....Faried? Chandler? I don't even know. I thought this would be a diaster season until Gallinari returned, instead they're pretty good.

I think one of the most surprising things this year is Jordan Crawford becoming a pretty good point guard. He's shooting efficiently and he's dishing out 5 assists a game. WTF is going on?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)

Nate Robinson is the best person in the world?

Geez, quote from a Zach Lowe article...

Everyone said no, and they did so abruptly. This is how far Gay’s value has declined league-wide over the last 18 months. I know GMs who say they wouldn’t touch him now in free agency for the midlevel exception.

I get not wanting his contract, but not even for the MLE? Unless you have Lebron, Durant, Melo or George, he's easily worth that risk, especially when you look at the kind of guys that frequently get more than that.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:57 PM)
Geez, quote from a Zach Lowe article...

I get not wanting his contract, but not even for the MLE? Unless you have Lebron, Durant, Melo or George, he's easily worth that risk, especially when you look at the kind of guys that frequently get more than that.

Considering all the articles about how Rudy Gay hates the idea of advanced metrics being brought up, I'm not surprised some GMs are souring on him. Hell, he banned advanced metrics summaries from being distributed in the Toronto locker room after the game.

I know he doesn't like to hear how he's not a good player and all, but if you're not looking to improve your deficiencies, you don't have the drive to be an all-star in the NBA.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)

For those that get HBO, watch Real Sports this month with the Brian Shaw segment. It makes you hope to see good things for him and the Nuggets.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
Considering all the articles about how Rudy Gay hates the idea of advanced metrics being brought up, I'm not surprised some GMs are souring on him. Hell, he banned advanced metrics summaries from being distributed in the Toronto locker room after the game.

I know he doesn't like to hear how he's not a good player and all, but if you're not looking to improve your deficiencies, you don't have the drive to be an all-star in the NBA.

At MLE-level salary, you only need to be better than people like Landry Fields or John Salmons for it to make sense.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
At MLE-level salary, you only need to be better than people like Landry Fields or John Salmons for it to make sense.

Eh, the Rudy Gay of this year and last year haven't been much better.

Give Fields or Salmons the same volume of shots and they might actually be better.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
Eh, the Rudy Gay of this year and last year haven't been much better.

Give Fields or Salmons the same volume of shots and they might actually be better.

Except Gay is more talented than those two bums combined. Pretty sure the Kings didn't acquire him just so he could do exactly what he was doing in Toronto. They have a specific role in mind for him (stretch 4) which should at least cut down on all the inefficient 2-point shots. And he's a good enough ballhandler that he can go right by other 4's. And in Sac, he's not going to be the #1 option, which is good. Talent is talent. Look at Derrick Williams. Yeah, it's only been 6 games. But he looks MUCH improved and is being better utilized than when he was with the Wolves. Look at Monta Ellis in Dallas. Beasley with the Heat. When you have talent, all it takes sometimes is the right coaching and system. I think Gay will do well.