NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I'd do it. You're left with Rose, Melo, Noah, Taj, Mirotic coming back for next year along with Felton and Shumpert.

You're giving up some serious value there but you're getting Melo without gutting your top talents.

Now, NYK only does this if they think/know that Melo is going elsewhere.

Would all that work cap wise?

I guess if the Bulls don't think they can get him in FA then I'd do it.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
This is actually terrifying.

I thought I was free and in the clear.

Now 3-24 the rest of the way seems unattainable. I'm not sure they will win another game? When do they play milwaukee next?!

I am following it eagerly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
The Bulls do it because they with this trade they can increase the chances of getting him to be a Bull next year. The 3 firsts aren't that big of a deal as they most likely won't be lottery picks. Also, the crazy thing that makes me think this has to be false is the inclusion of Boozer. The Bulls would love this, because even if he was amenstied, they still have to pay him the difference between his salary next year and his salary with the team that takes him. The Knicks are stuck with him next year if they trade for him. It really doesn't make sense for the Knicks unless they know Melo is out of there. For the Bulls, that trade is a no brainer. The Bulls need another star or two. Thibs can get guys picked up off the scrap heap to contribute and be decent role players.

There's a little rule in the NBA regarding trades with teams at or near the cap and salaries having to be damn-near close. The trade actually cannot happen without Boozer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
There's a little rule in the NBA regarding trades with teams at or near the cap and salaries having to be damn-near close. The trade actually cannot happen without Boozer.

I am fully aware of the rule, and still think Boozer's inclusion is ridiculous. If he was an expiring, fine. But he's not. Hence, I believe this potential trade is a figment of someone's imagination.

If it is true and it did happen, I take back every bad thing I have ever said or thought about GarPax.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Would all that work cap wise?

I guess if the Bulls don't think they can get him in FA then I'd do it.

Assuming Melo signs a Bird Exception deal that is gently backloaded, we'd have $73M committed to Melo, Rose, Noah, Taj, Felton, Dunleavy, and Shumpert (players listed from largest to smallest salary).

It would be cutting it really close in terms of the tax and our ability to give MLE to Mirotic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
I am fully aware of the rule, and still think Boozer's inclusion is ridiculous. If he was an expiring, fine. But he's not. Hence, I believe this potential trade is a figment of someone's imagination.

Gotya, yeah, I agree with that part.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Assuming Melo signs a Bird Exception deal that is gently backloaded, we'd have $73M committed to Melo, Rose, Noah, Taj, Felton, Dunleavy, and Shumpert (players listed from largest to smallest salary).

It would be cutting it really close in terms of the tax and our ability to give MLE to Mirotic.

Yeah, at that point you give Dunleavy away so you can give the MLE to Mirotic.

Since the trade is made for the purpose of next year rather than this year, Boozer makes sense as a pseudo-expiring contract. We could do a nearly-the-same deal in the offseason, in which case he is expiring.

If NYK wants to trade for some other star to replace the presence of Melo, they'd need Boozer to do it.

I still remember Thibs saying he "loves" Melo, which is nice. A team with Rose-Melo-Noah is f***ing great. That's a big three. If that team had Taj, Mirotic, Shumpert, Felton? Not bad. If we could work out a deal that involves fewer players/picks going the other direction, imagine how nice it would be to have Jimmy/Snell/first round picks hanging around.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Aren't Butler and Shumpert pretty much the same player?

God no. Butler's gotten himself a bit overrated among the masses, but he's a lot better than Shump (and taller). That said, Thibs could get a lot out of Shump.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
God no. Butler's gotten himself a bit overrated among the masses, but he's a lot better than Shump (and taller). That said, Thibs could get a lot out of Shump.

I think Butler is also learning to play more minutes and with a chronic injury that likely will never be 100%. And before a Thibs joke comes in, that is the way many players have to deal with.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
That is where I am. The Celtics, Heat, and Lakers have proven if you have the stud core, other players will jump on the bandwagon... along with J4L.

Lame. But I digress. Carmelo makes the Bulls legit, especially in the east. This franchise has to do something. 90210 was still goin' last time the Bulls were relevant.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
Apparently Bulls and Knicks talking about Melo deal.

The rumored deal at RealGM was Boozer, Kirk, Butler, 3 1sts, Snell for Melo, Felton, Shumpert.

Take out Shumpert/Butler swap and you got a deal. Otherwise, only 2 firsts.

Why is Felton in the deal...?

The Bulls wouldn't give up anything that important, which suggests it'd never happen.

Also, the Bulls can't sign Melo outright unless they do some serious salary dumping. They're projected to have around $10 mil in space even aftet dumping Boozer. That's like $12 mil short of Melo's max offer. It would also mean no Mirotic since you can't use the MLE and cap space in the same offseason.

QUOTE (Spod=Ratings @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
Noah is an absolute beast. Triple Double by half????

Meh. It's bittersweet aka annoying. Rose goes down, we have no chance of winning anything, and Noah decides to play the best ball of his career therefore eliminating (along with the rise of Augistine) any chance at a a stud in the draft.