NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Are you saying Melo isn't a superstar? Or am I missing something here?

He's saying Carmelo isn't a superstar. And he's right. But who the f*** cares. He'd be the best player we've had here since you know who. Carmelo+legitimate coach+legitimate cast could very well equal out to superstar.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Are you saying Melo isn't a superstar? Or am I missing something here?

That's precisely what I'm saying.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
He's saying Carmelo isn't a superstar. And he's right. But who the f*** cares. He'd be the best player we've had here since you know who. Carmelo+legitimate coach+legitimate cast could very well equal out to superstar.

I agree. Carmelo Anthony is a tremendous one-on-one player. But he does not contribute enough in other facets of the game (though his rebounding has improved) to make his teammates better. Superstar is an overused term that people are quick to apply to anyone who can score the basketball. But dominance at the professional level is about more than merely putting the ball in the basket, as most NBA players were among the leading scorers on their teams in high school or college or both. Be that as it may, Carmelo Anthony would give the Bulls a viable scoring option in the fourth quarter, something they've not had since Michael Jordan. Derrick Rose had his moments but was rendered ineffective against bigger defenders. Anthony can get his shot off against virtually any player in the league.

--Captain Decker

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
Luol Deng is such hot garbage. This is like the 2nd time in a couple weeks he's gone 0/9 from the field. That was your "All Star", Bulls fans. Thank Christ the Cavs have terrible leadership.

Luol has been highly overrated these past few years. He's a good, not great player. I have no idea why he made the all-star team last year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
Luol has been highly overrated these past few years. He's a good, not great player. I have no idea why he made the all-star team last year.

I'd guess the coaches were impressed with his and Noah's ability to keep the Bulls afloat without Derrick Rose.

--Captain Decker

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Assuming Melo signs a Bird Exception deal that is gently backloaded, we'd have $73M committed to Melo, Rose, Noah, Taj, Felton, Dunleavy, and Shumpert (players listed from largest to smallest salary).

It would be cutting it really close in terms of the tax and our ability to give MLE to Mirotic.

I don't think that they can sign Melo and Mirotic. It's just not possible. Trading Taj, Dunleavy, and Kirk gets the Bulls the necessary $$ to sign Carmelo. Mirotic will be looking for more than the MLE I think too. I think you are looking at something $7-$8 million per year for Mirotic.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
I don't think that they can sign Melo and Mirotic. It's just not possible. Trading Taj, Dunleavy, and Kirk gets the Bulls the necessary $$ to sign Carmelo. Mirotic will be looking for more than the MLE I think too. I think you are looking at something $7-$8 million per year for Mirotic.

Is there any way to back-load an MLE deal into future years? i.e. Mirotic gets an Omer Asik type deal with a MLE level the first year and a heavy backload into years 2 and 3?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Is there any way to back-load an MLE deal into future years? i.e. Mirotic gets an Omer Asik type deal with a MLE level the first year and a heavy backload into years 2 and 3?

I was wondering this too. I was under the assumption that since Mirotic's rights are essentially owned by the Bulls that they could go over the cap and into the luxury tax to sign him. Multiple people have told me that this is untrue. For example, if the Bulls were over the cap and wanted to give Butler a deal, they could because he's on their team. The same rules do not apply for Mirotic from what I've been told. I could be wrong, but as long as Rose and Noah are on the roster, getting Carmelo for max $$ would end the Mirotic speculation for at least next season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
Derrick Rose, idiot who doesn't learn from anything...

Chris De Luca ‏@ChrisDeLuca 1h

Derrick Rose not closing door on return to #Bulls this season http://bit.ly/LVVUWi

I read his quotes. He kept saying, I'm not talking comeback just saying i'm not thinking about. Nowhere during his quotes did I get the feeling he really was hinting at coming back. He seems far more focused on getting back in time to play for the US team.

It would be very interesting to see a team with healthy Rose and Melo on it. I think Melo throughout his career has not typically done a good job of making his teammates better, though he has started to develop in that regard. With an MVP-ish point guard on his team, that might affect both of their styles of play. A strong-headed coach like Thibs could command the respect of all actors as well. It is certainly an experiment worth doing and honestly we become at least a top 3 team in the East if you add Melo without gutting the entire roster (I'm talking this year, no Rose). If you can have a starting lineup of Rose-Butler-Melo-Taj-Noah at some point, that looks like a truly great team if you have absolutely anything behind those 5.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
It would be very interesting to see a team with healthy Rose and Melo on it. I think Melo throughout his career has not typically done a good job of making his teammates better, though he has started to develop in that regard. With an MVP-ish point guard on his team, that might affect both of their styles of play. A strong-headed coach like Thibs could command the respect of all actors as well. It is certainly an experiment worth doing and honestly we become at least a top 3 team in the East if you add Melo without gutting the entire roster (I'm talking this year, no Rose). If you can have a starting lineup of Rose-Butler-Melo-Taj-Noah at some point, that looks like a truly great team if you have absolutely anything behind those 5.

I just wonder whether or not the Melo/Rose/Thibs setup isn't comparable to the Billups/Melo/Karl setup Denver ran out there, particularly if Taj has to go in the process.

Isn't the idea of combining Melo and Rose just asking for problems? Both guys need the ball to be effective. Is Melo going to be alright being a second fiddle? Is Rose going to be OK with Melo taking final shots? You know both of those things will happen.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Isn't the idea of combining Melo and Rose just asking for problems? Both guys need the ball to be effective. Is Melo going to be alright being a second fiddle? Is Rose going to be OK with Melo taking final shots? You know both of those things will happen.

Compared to the last time the Bulls were healthy, I think it would make Rose more effective if there was someone else on the roster who also needed the ball to be effective. Rose having to take fewer bad/defended shots is a necessary step for him to become a more efficient player.

Then again, who knows if Rose will ever be more than a tolerable player again given the loss of >2 seasons.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)

This would never be the starting five though because the Bulls can't add Melo without getting rid of Taj Gibson's money.