NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
I am starting to warm up to the idea of a Melo/Bulls team. My biggest concern was his D but I think Thibs can make him a decent defender. An 85-90% MVP form Rose, Melo, Noah and Gibson are 4 better players than any 4 Miami has.

At the very least we need to try something and hopefully Anthony realizes NY is a hopeless situation and he comes as a FA this summer.

You have to beat LeBron James and Kevin Durant if you want to win a championship. Carmelo has some flaws, but good god can he score the ball. You can't be picky when you've been to one conference final since '98.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
Man, Mutombo was a 4-time DPOY, multiple rebounding champ, etc. You act like I compared him to Yinka Dare or Big Country Bryant Reeves. That's a damn good comparison if you ask me.

Mutombo scored more PPG in one season than Russell did in his entire career. He averaged 12 more rebounds per game than Mutombo. He was a five time MVP. In terms of modern day dominance out of a big man, only Shaq rates in this neighborhood.

That comp is a joke.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Mutombo scored more PPG in one season than Russell did in his entire career. He averaged 12 more rebounds per game than Mutombo. He was a five time MVP. In terms of modern day dominance out of a big man, only Shaq rates in this neighborhood.

That comp is a joke.

1960's NBA was a joke. I can't even watch highlight clips without coughing up blood. There's this thing called pace that you apparently never heard of. Elgin Baylor, a 6'5 SF, averaged 19.8 and 18.6 rebounds per game in '61 and '62. The older you get, the lamer you get. Stop it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)

That comp is a joke.

The problem with Russell is that he was extremely limited on offense. People point to the era being different, but there should be no reason for him to shoot like 41% from the field and average 15 PPG when a guy like wilt was averaging twice that on much better efficiency.

Russell could be an absolutely dominant defensive player with more upside on offense than Mutombo (with modern training and such). I think his absolute ceiling is maybe on par with a guy like Dwight with better passing. That would be if he maxed out all the amenities at his disposal in today's era.

I've never been a big Russell fan. It seems like he gets 99% of the credit for those Celtics teams even though he was one of several Hall of Fame players. You always hear about his 11 rings, but you never hear about Havlicek's 8, two of which came without Russell.

That said, I've always thought of him as Josh Smith with exponentially better basketball IQ. That's a pretty terrifying player.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
I've never been a big Russell fan. It seems like he gets 99% of the credit for those Celtics teams even though he was one of several Hall of Fame players. You always hear about his 11 rings, but you never hear about Havlicek's 8, two of which came without Russell.

That said, I've always thought of him as Josh Smith with exponentially better basketball IQ. That's a pretty terrifying player.

Nice, some love for Hondo. One of the best buckeyes of all time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
So, the Sixers are awful. Question, if they get the #1 pick, do they take Embiid (already have Noel) or one of Wiggins/Parker? Extremely tough for me. I think I take Embiid and figure s*** out later. I wouldn't want to be the GM that passed on this kid.

You also hate to be the guy that passed on Kevin Durant too, ya feel?

EDIT: And I'm not saying Embiid is going the way of Oden. I'm just saying you take the best player on your board. If it's Embiid, then, yes, figure s*** out later. Or don't and run with Embiid at PF and Noel at C and just deny everything inside for the rest of eternity.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
1960's NBA was a joke. I can't even watch highlight clips without coughing up blood. There's this thing called pace that you apparently never heard of. Elgin Baylor, a 6'5 SF, averaged 19.8 and 18.6 rebounds per game in '61 and '62. The older you get, the lamer you get. Stop it.

So a five time MVP rates with a guy who never won the MVP? You have got to be kidding me. Even you have to understand there is a difference in eras, right?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
You also hate to be the guy that passed on Kevin Durant too, ya feel?

EDIT: And I'm not saying Embiid is going the way of Oden. I'm just saying you take the best player on your board. If it's Embiid, then, yes, figure s*** out later. Or don't and run with Embiid at PF and Noel at C and just deny everything inside for the rest of eternity.

How about telling the teams drafting 2 and 3 that the #1 pick is theirs in exchange for that pick and an additional #1 in 2 years?