NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
I am in no way defending him or what he said, but does anyone else have a major issue with him being fined for comments made in private that someone illegally recorded without one party being aware? To me, the legality of such a thing seems a bit tenuous

Yea, I'm curious how the legality of the recording comes into play.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
I am in no way defending him or what he said, but does anyone else have a major issue with him being fined for comments made in private that someone illegally recorded without one party being aware? To me, the legality of such a thing seems a bit tenuous

Yea, the guy is a real POS but the legality in all this is very hazy.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Yea, the guy is a real POS but the legality in all this is very hazy.

IMO, he was totally set up, but he's been like this all along and has gotten away with it. Now the bill comes due, as it always does.

He's not in a court of law.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
It's the NBA. It's not like the federal government is fining him.

I understand that, but I mean, he never made these comments publicly. The guy could be the biggest asshole ever, and appears to be up there, but I just have a hard time accepting the validity of this sort of punishment for something that was said in the privacy of his own home with only him and his significant other in the room. He should absolutely be strong armed out of the league, there is no question about that, but it's quite unfair to have private words used against you because someone secretly recorded and then released the conversation

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
I understand that, but I mean, he never made these comments publicly. The guy could be the biggest asshole ever, and appears to be up there, but I just have a hard time accepting the validity of this sort of punishment for something that was said in the privacy of his own home with only him and his significant other in the room. He should absolutely be strong armed out of the league, there is no question about that, but it's quite unfair to have private words used against you because someone secretly recorded and then released the conversation

He's not going to jail or anything like that. And if they make him sell the team, he still gets $1 billion or so.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
IMO, he was totally set up, but he's been like this all along and has gotten away with it. Now the bill comes due, as it always does.

He's not in a court of law.

Couldn't agree more. This reputation has been around a long time.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)

I don't even know if it's secretly recorded. There was a rumor where Sterling had his girlfriend record their conversations so he can remember what he said (somewhat plausible considering the guy's 80 years old). This could easily be a byproduct of that.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Banned for Life. $2.5M fine; maximum allowed under league constitution.

What exactly does "banned" mean? Does he still own the team or are they taking the team away from him?

Edit: NVM, looks like he'll have to sell the team. Silver with the Banhammer.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
And now, the legal fun begins

According to Lester Munson, Sterling doesn't have a leg to stand on. If he wants to take the NBA to court, it's almost guaranteed his suit would be immediately dismissed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
What exactly does "banned" mean? Does he still own the team or are they taking the team away from him?

He can't have anything to do with it, effective immediately; He can still own it, but they are "trying to force" sale. Not sure what that means, but I think I heard 3/4 vote of other owners can remove him. Presumably, that could come later and today's action is just by the Commissioner's office.