NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
The First Amendment guarantees a right to free speech without criticism or response, obviously.

No, please don't point out the glaring internal conflict in that thought.

It guarantees you can criticize the government. It doesn't require a business to support your views or offer a stage for them.

If you are working at McDonalds and telling people the food is bad for you, it will make you obese, you can't expect to remain in the job. The league is not a collection of independent businesses. When an owner's actions are detrimental to the league, stuff will, and should happen.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Well, let's be honest, it is a bit faux outrage. This dude's been doing this kind of stuff for decades and the drum beat to get him out of the league never started until now and he was out of the league in what, 4 days?

I'm not at all suggesting it's unjustified by the way. I'm just saying I can see Cuban's argument about how this might play out in the future, depending on what by-law/provision they used here.

Isn't this a case of running out of chances? I assume he has been warned, privately probably, about these sorts of actions.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
It guarantees you can criticize the government. It doesn't require a business to support your views or offer a stage for them.

If you are working at McDonalds and telling people the food is bad for you, it will make you obese, you can't expect to remain in the job. The league is not a collection of independent businesses. When an owner's actions are detrimental to the league, stuff will, and should happen.

I'm pretty sure StrangeSox was just being sarcastic.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
I'm pretty sure StrangeSox was just being sarcastic.

yeah, the statement I made (which is just a paraphrasing of how a lot of people actually seem to think 'free speech' works) intentionally contradicts itself

The First Amendment guarantees a right to free speech without criticism or response

If your right to freedom of speech means others can't respond with criticism, then that means you're limiting others' freedom of speech.