NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
The main things that change IMO:

Lu gets traded -- I think someone will want him, might get a good pick if we take a bad contract (and why not do that?)

Zero question about a Boozer amnesty if he makes it to the end of the season -- but we now might try to trade

The biggest one: we now market Joakim hard and get the best possible value for him, which should be first round draft pick.

It just forces the restructuring process to occur a little sooner, plus dumping Jo who we otherwise would have kept for the "next core." Might be interesting to see how many picks and such that we can rack up

What are some teams that might be interested in Deng? Would a Deng for Ben Gordon and next years 1st rounder make some sense? With the hope that Deng pushes them out of the top 10 and they get their 1st rounder this year and next?

It will be interesting to see what Deng is worth. Before the season, he seemed to be worth a lottery pick (in an admittedly bad draft). Now that we're in season, I'm not sure how it is affected. Just being an expiring deal will have some value, but I'm not sure how much.

Jo should be coveted. If he Jo+Jimmy was going to get us LaMarcus Aldridge, Jo by himself should get us something very nice.

Booz - my hopes aren't high there, but you never know. I don't know that anyone else needs to be traded or has much value. Someone might give us something for Dunleavy or Hinrich, but I don't know that we could get anything that would be useful in the long term for those guys.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
If there is a tear.

This is Jay Williams times a 100.

Greg Oden times 25.

Grant Hill times 10.

Just way worse than them all. We got all the hype. He was from Chicago. The majority of us knew he was when he was 16. We had the return. We had the MVP season. Just truly heartbreaking.

I can't think of a parallel in my life as a sports fan. I remember being really upset when Thomas and Magglio went down in '04 but that is nothing compared to this.

Gayle Sayers?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
Is that as bad or worse than a torn acl?

I did that in high school and was out 2 months from basketball. Orthoscopic surgery.

I'd guess he's out longer because he is a tad better athlete than I was.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
This is great f***ing news.

Not sure "great" is the word I would use. Looks like early to mid February would be the best case scenario for a return. And with Derrick, add about 2 more months to that. So basically another wasted season.

Edited by Jordan4life

There are a million degrees of this injury so the available info isn't very helpful. Typically, the very worst are lateral meniscus tears and his is medial. A bad tear of lateral meniscus often results in complete removal of the cartilage, which would effectively be it for a high level athlete.

This could be a 4-8 week deal if it isn't bad with not bad prospects. It could be several months. There is also a chance, regardless of timeline, that the joint is permanently altered.

With that said, medial tears often co-occur with ACL/MCL tears (the "unhappy triad"). Given the difficulty there can be in diagnosing those injuries, brace yourself for the possibility that they "discover" ACL and/or MCL tears when they do the surgery. Either way, it is difficult to know the severity of the meniscus tear before surgery -- the fact that they are going right into surgery suggests that there is no question about a certain level of severity, though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Not sure "great" is the word I would use. Looks like early to mid February would be the best case scenario for a return. And with Derrick, add about 2 more months to that. So basically another wasted season.

Yep. Thing is another non-contact injury has to mess with his psyche even if he comes back 100%