NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Well yeah Bird wasn't a top pick in the 70s I think it would be safe to say he wouldn't be now when there's even more a premium on athleticism.

He's really athletic though, I've guessing that comment was made without watching video. He's quick, he can dribble, he can shoot, he runs the court, he drives past other bigs all at 6'10". Thats athleticism.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
Well yeah Bird wasn't a top pick in the 70s I think it would be safe to say he wouldn't be now when there's even more a premium on athleticism.

? He went 6th overall after his junior year despite the Celtics not being sure whether he was going to go pro or stay in college for his senior year (he stayed in school and the Celtics retained his right).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
? He went 6th overall after his junior year despite the Celtics not being sure whether he was going to go pro or stay in college for his senior year (he stayed in school and the Celtics retained his right).

And had he been drafted the next season, he would certainly have gone #2.........to the Bulls.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
Rose likely can be serviceable. If not the entire ship is sunk because you cant have that huge contract and not even get average production.

If he can stay healthy, he will be more than serviceable. He was starting to round into form when he went down with the meniscus. This latest injury isn't nearly the problem an ACL tear is as far as getting back to previous levels. He is still quite young.

My fear is more injuries. As long as he's healthy, and gets the rust off, he'll be good to go.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)

I don't think that's disputing anything I said there.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
I don't think that's disputing anything I said there.

You said he wasn't a top pick. He didn't go number one but he was still a top pick in the draft and if it wasn't for the weird eligibility rules he goes #2 after his senior year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
He's really athletic though, I've guessing that comment was made without watching video. He's quick, he can dribble, he can shoot, he runs the court, he drives past other bigs all at 6'10". Thats athleticism.

I've seen the video plenty. He's just not an explosive athlete. He's certainly not a stiff but he's not going over anyone in the paint, he has to be crafty to find his points down low. I like the guy, I do, but I don't think he'd be a top 5 pick in this draft not with the other talent there

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
If he can stay healthy, he will be more than serviceable. He was starting to round into form when he went down with the meniscus. This latest injury isn't nearly the problem an ACL tear is as far as getting back to previous levels. He is still quite young. My fear is more injuries. As long as he's healthy, and gets the rust off, he'll be good to go.

I guess I'm just being very pessimistic about DRose, but seeing that he's basically missed 2 seasons due to two different injuries, chances are he'll probably never play again rather than being even serviceable at this point.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
You said he wasn't a top pick. He didn't go number one but he was still a top pick in the draft and if it wasn't for the weird eligibility rules he goes #2 after his senior year.

Sorry there was supposed to be a number 5 in there since that was the conversation I was quoting. Honestly I have no idea since I wasnt around then other than reading a lot on how people thought he was slow and unathletic and worst of all white.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
The reason they won't trade him is because they can't. The Knicks are over the cap if Melo walks. Taking Boozer's $16 million next year is $16 million + luxury tax penalty. And the penalties become much more severe next year. What cost the Lakers $29 million this year would cost $75 million next. He can't be amnestied by any team other than the Bulls.

Any trade rumor that includes Carlos Boozer is totally made up.

Lance Stevenson and/or Danny Granger. Those are guys who realistically might be Bulls next year.

And his contract can't be bought out. It is guaranteed. If the Bulls amnesty him, he still gets paid, it just doesn't count against the Bulls cap. I think how it works is they have some sort of auction and the Bulls pay the difference between the high bid and his contract figure.

Stephenson or Granger doesn't get you closer to a title though. If the Bulls can't get Melo, I think I'd keep Boozer and save the money for 2015 when Aldridge and Love become free agents. No reason to force it this offseason.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
I've seen the video plenty. He's just not an explosive athlete. He's certainly not a stiff but he's not going over anyone in the paint, he has to be crafty to find his points down low. I like the guy, I do, but I don't think he'd be a top 5 pick in this draft not with the other talent there

So athleticism to you is playing above the rim aka jumping ability. Quickness, body control, shooting and ball handling ability as a 6'10" guy does not apply?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
And it isn't true. A lot of NBA execs and insiders have said he'd be a top 5 pick in this draft and has super star potential. In a normal draft, he probably goes #1. Dude is about to win his 3rd MVP at 22 and is crushing it.

Link?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Boozer is getting mouthy because he sees the writing on the wall, and he isnt happy about what it says

I don't get it. If he gets amnestied he still gets his money and more when he signs with a new team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
There is no way the Bulls would have passed on Bird.

How can you be so sure?

The year before 5 players were picked in front of Bird, none of them were considered as good of prospects as Magic or David Greenwood. So you cant just say "Oh the Bulls would have definitely drafted Bird."

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
How can you be so sure?

The year before 5 players were picked in front of Bird, none of them were considered as good of prospects as Magic or David Greenwood. So you cant just say "Oh the Bulls would have definitely drafted Bird."

I was alive back then. I can definitely say the Bulls would have drafted Bird. Bird and Magic were clearly the best 2 players in college basketball.

I don't know how anyone can conclude a team would give up a 6th pick to draft someone they had a definite chance not to sign, and think he isn't top pick material.

Just ask anyone who watched college basketball back then if there is any chance the Bulls would have passed on Bird to draft Greenwood.

5 players who signed and played were drafted before him. None that went back to college for a year.

Edited by Dick Allen