NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
I understand that, but I mean, he never made these comments publicly. The guy could be the biggest asshole ever, and appears to be up there, but I just have a hard time accepting the validity of this sort of punishment for something that was said in the privacy of his own home with only him and his significant other in the room. He should absolutely be strong armed out of the league, there is no question about that, but it's quite unfair to have private words used against you because someone secretly recorded and then released the conversation

Based on California law, he might be able to make a case against the person who released the recording if the recording was made without his permission/knowledge, but that's it. And the question of course is...if you're a billionaire real estate owner, do you want that case being on the front page of the LA Times for 6 months?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
Based on California law, he might be able to make a case against the person who released the recording if the recording was made without his permission/knowledge, but that's it. And the question of course is...if you're a billionaire real estate owner, do you want that case being on the front page of the LA Times for 6 months?

We're talking about Donald Sterling. I don't think he cares.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Definitely.

I get his point though. It's pretty dangerous to start a trend that anything an owner says in private - even if he doesn't act that way publicly - can get his team taken away from him. But I think the key here is that Sterling has been this way for a long time and people just kept looking the other way because it didn't directly affect the Clippers, a now prominent team. If the Clippers had still been the worst organization in the league I bet this doesn't happen the way that it did.

I think it's hilarious that people are bringing up freedom speech and that this country is dead on the yahoo forums. Do these idiots know that the NBA is not the government nor can the government rule on what is clearly an internal affair?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
We're talking about Donald Sterling. I don't think he cares.

You might think that intuitively, but there's always been this creepy side where his face almost constantly appears in the LA Times citing whatever award he's getting for giving some foundation a few thousand dollars. His companies spend a lot of money on his reputation otu there.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
I think it's hilarious that people are bringing up freedom speech and that this country is dead on the yahoo forums. Do these idiots know that the NBA is not the government nor can the government rule on what is clearly an internal affair?

No, sadly many do not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
You might think that intuitively, but there's always been this creepy side where his face almost constantly appears in the LA Times citing whatever award he's getting for giving some foundation a few thousand dollars. His companies spend a lot of money on his reputation otu there.

The cares about his reputation side might run into his vindictive side though. The one that gives orders to evict a woman because she asked he fix the heat and water.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)

It is an incredibly slippery slope when something you say in your personal residence in private gets you in this type of trouble. This is not someone going out and getting on a soap box and making a public stance. In fact, there have been some organizations coming out and saying that while Sterling might have voiced these concerns and issues in private, in public he has made great contributions to minorities, etc (now this is all based upon donations he has made). What he said was wrong and he is paying the price but I think the person who released the tapes should rot too because they are not innocent either. However, this really isn't the first time with STerling and there is far too much smoke, etc, and the NBA can not ignore what is out there and Silver made absolutely the right move given all of the facts and I really commend him for this.

I personally thought if it was anything less then this, you'd probably see the Clippers players (or at least certain players) protest by not playing. In fact, I could have seen other teams in the league join in on the protest if it was something like a slap on the wrist. The NBA acted swift and appropriately.

That gets said about everything on yahoo forums.

People aren't very bright there.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
I am in no way defending him or what he said, but does anyone else have a major issue with him being fined for comments made in private that someone illegally recorded without one party being aware? To me, the legality of such a thing seems a bit tenuous

He is a franchise owner subject to a franchise agreement with the NBA. If they have rules against stuff like this, Sterling is the idiot for violating them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
It is an incredibly slippery slope when something you say in your personal residence in private gets you in this type of trouble. This is not someone going out and getting on a soap box and making a public stance. In fact, there have been some organizations coming out and saying that while Stern might have voiced these concerns and issues in private, in public he has made great contributions to minorities, etc (now this is all based upon donations he has made). What he said was wrong and he is paying the price but I think the person who released the tapes should rot too because they are not innocent either. However, this really isn't the first time with STerling and there is far too much smoke, etc, and the NBA can not ignore what is out there and Silver made absolutely the right move given all of the facts and I really commend him for this.

I personally thought if it was anything less then this, you'd probably see the Clippers players (or at least certain players) protest by not playing. In fact, I could have seen other teams in the league join in on the protest if it was something like a slap on the wrist. The NBA acted swift and appropriately.

I had to reread this...Sterling?

Gotta feel bad for Clippers fans. All those years of being terrible and forever second to the Lakers in Los Angeles, now they have a legit team and they can't even enjoy the playoffs without all this Sterling BS.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
I get his point though. It's pretty dangerous to start a trend that anything an owner says in private - even if he doesn't act that way publicly - can get his team taken away from him. But I think the key here is that Sterling has been this way for a long time and people just kept looking the other way because it didn't directly affect the Clippers, a now prominent team. If the Clippers had still been the worst organization in the league I bet this doesn't happen the way that it did.

Slippery slope arguments are not convincing to me.

He didn't say "anything" behind closed doors, he said words that were hateful and directed at a community that makes up the vast majority of it's players and a significant portion of his fans. He didn't just say something that was offensive, he said something that was significantly damaging to the league he is an owner in and makes money being a part of. So if another says "anything" which has equal damage to the league, sorry, you will get paid 1 billion to leave that league.

Exact same people that said the Duck Dynasty guy couldn't be reprimanded by A & E because of the First Amendment.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Slippery slope arguments are not convincing to me.

He didn't say "anything" behind closed doors, he said words that were hateful and directed at a community that makes up the vast majority of it's players and a significant portion of his fans. He didn't just say something that was offensive, he said something that was significantly damaging to the league he is an owner in and makes money being a part of. So if another says "anything" which has equal damage to the league, sorry, you will get paid 1 billion to leave that league.

Plus, you know, the record-setting housing discrimination settlement he paid in the past. It's not like he actually did keep his abhorrent views private, they had real-world effects on people.