NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
And which one colluded with an all star and a half of famer? And which one has a good, but injured SG and not much else?

Yeah, poor Durant. He only gets to play with another multi-time All-Star, had several years with a guy that might be All-NBA this year, and a guy that'd easily be an All-Star big in the East. They have plenty of talent, albiet they're top-heavy.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
Yeah, poor Durant. He only gets to play with another multi-time All-Star, had several years with a guy that might be All-NBA this year, and a guy that'd easily be an All-Star big in the East. They have plenty of talent, albiet they're top-heavy.

Right but Durant didn't put that together and then brag about winning a bunch of titles. Like I said, LeBron wants and creats the attention. Durant doesnt. That's why they're not treated the same.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 1, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Apparently the loophole in the Ted Stepien rule is that if the Bulls sent one of their other 1st round picks, they can acquire the Lakers pick.

A team MUST have at least one 1st round pick every other year.

If what I heard on the score was correct there's another "loophole" that hasn't been talked about.

The Bulls can tell the Lakers who they want them to draft then they make the deal with said pick.

My question is...Can the Bulls interview other people while Thibs is still the coach? If so and GarPax find someone they like I'd make that deal (Thibs for a lottery pick) all day.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Bull. LeBron was the 2nd coming in high school. Durant was never, ever thought of that way.

He was considered a likely multi-time All-Star coming out of the draft. He was just unfortunate to be in the same draft as the guy many though would be the next great big man. And as I said, it's not like you ever assume a guy is going to win 4 MVP's and be a top-10 player ever no matter how good a prospect he is.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
Right but Durant didn't put that together and then brag about winning a bunch of titles. Like I said, LeBron wants and creats the attention. Durant doesnt. That's why they're not treated the same.

That's a different argument than saying he has a weak team.

Lebron is older than Durant. If KD goes a few more years without a ring and loses a couple series they "should have won" like Lebron did, he'll start catching s***. Last year was the first time they "choked" and Westbrook missed the series.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:06 PM)
But people talked that way with LeBron. And then he talked/acted that way once he got to the league. Durant was never like that.

Please find one quote that's anything along the lines of "Lebron will be one of the 10 best players of all time" before the draft. Of course it started when he was in the league because he was raping people.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
That's a different argument than saying he has a weak team.

Lebron is older than Durant. If KD goes a few more years without a ring and loses a couple series they "should have won" like Lebron did, he'll start catching s***. Last year was the first time they "choked" and Westbrook missed the series.

This is a much more reasonable position than J4L.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
Please find one quote that's anything along the lines of "Lebron will be one of the 10 best players of all time" before the draft. Of course it started when he was in the league because he was raping people.

Being deemed The Chosen One as a junior isn't enough? Or the heir to MJ?

0218_large.jpg

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
Also, giving him s*** because he "talks" is silly. Dozens of players talk big. Hell, Dion Waiters thinks he's big s***.

By talk I mean anointing himself King. And that minor Decision nonsense.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
Being deemed The Chosen One as a junior isn't enough? Or the heir to MJ?

Yeah, because he's the only high school athlete that gets hype. Harrison Barnes was supposed to be Kobe 2.0. Rick Mount, Tom McMillen, Kevin Garnett, Sebastian Telfair and Jabari Parker were all on the cover of SI while still in high school. They wrote a big article on Demetrius Walker when he was like 14.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
Really?

And jeez, you guys are taking what J4L said completely wrong.

Thank you. When Kevin Durant was on that crazy scoring streak, everybody was talking about how the gap had closed and even some said he might be the best player in the league. You don't get to do that and then make up lame excuses or reasons for why he's not held to the same standard as LBJ as he's getting schooled by Memphis for the second year in a row (tonight not included so far).

Edited by Jordan4life

I'm not even trying to argue Durant is better than Lebron. All I'm saying the hype for the two were/are not the same. They don't have the same expectations based on their histories. That's why they're treated differently. That, and as Zoom pointed out, you gotta give Durant another few seasons to potentially fail.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
You're honestly telling me the LeBron coverage was typical? That he didn't have crazy expectations from the get go? More so than your typical top prospect?

I'm saying the reason he got so much crap wasn't because he had hype or gave himself a nickname. It's because he was really f***ing good and took quite a while to get a title. Obviously the Decision took it to another level for those first two Miami years. Harold Miner and Isaiah Rider were supposed to be the next Jordan two, but I bet a bunch of people on this board don't even remember them.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm saying the reason he got so much crap wasn't because he had hype or gave himself a nickname. It's because he was really f***ing good and took quite a while to get a title. Obviously the Decision took it to another level for those first two Miami years.

And that's all on Cleveland's front office for being epically incompetent. LeBron was already top 2 player at worse as far back as 2006. The best you can put around him was Larry Hughes, Mo Williams and 38-year old Shaq? Give LeBron Westrbrook in Cleveland and he probably win titles.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm saying the reason he got so much crap wasn't because he had hype or gave himself a nickname. It's because he was really f***ing good and took quite a while to get a title. Obviously the Decision took it to another level for those first two Miami years. Harold Miner and Isaiah Rider were supposed to be the next Jordan two, but I bet a bunch of people on this board don't even remember them.

Could never forget baby Jordan.

Zoom, I normally would agree with you, but LeBron had more hype coming out than any player I have seen in my 30 years. Here is one article of many on his hype.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney03/story?id=1533960

"I don't think there's a chance he goes ahead of LeBron," one prominent scout said. "Anthony's a great prospect, but when you compare his game to LeBron's, LeBron wins out simply because he's just got a better feel for the game. I think Anthony will be an All-Star in the league some day, but LeBron has the chance to be a legend. He has a certain feel, a knack, for the game that just doesn't come along very often. Guys like Kidd, Kobe, Jordan have it. And that's what separates them from the pack."

"LeBron's a once in a decade talent," a Western Conference GM said. "Teams always say that you draft the best talent, you don't draft for position. It doesn't always work out that way, but in this case it will. No one in their right mind would pass on him. He's about as sure a thing as you can get in the NBA draft."

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)
Zoom, I normally would agree with you, but LeBron had more hype coming out than any player I have seen in my 30 years. Here is one article of many on his hype.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney03/story?id=1533960

"I don't think there's a chance he goes ahead of LeBron," one prominent scout said. "Anthony's a great prospect, but when you compare his game to LeBron's, LeBron wins out simply because he's just got a better feel for the game. I think Anthony will be an All-Star in the league some day, but LeBron has the chance to be a legend. He has a certain feel, a knack, for the game that just doesn't come along very often. Guys like Kidd, Kobe, Jordan have it. And that's what separates them from the pack."

"LeBron's a once in a decade talent," a Western Conference GM said. "Teams always say that you draft the best talent, you don't draft for position. It doesn't always work out that way, but in this case it will. No one in their right mind would pass on him. He's about as sure a thing as you can get in the NBA draft."

Yes, he was hyped. That's not an argument. But if he didn't live up to it, people would have moved on by now like they do with plenty of other people.

I'd also argue that Yao, Oden and Wiggins had relatively similar levels of hype (the last two before they got to college). That's a subjective thing obviously though.

Edit- If we're going back 30 years, I'd also include guys like Sampson, Ewing, MJ, Olajuwon, Shaq, probably Duncan. I wasn't really following the draft at the time though, and if media attention is your biggest factor the newer guys have an edge.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
Yeah, because he's the only high school athlete that gets hype. Harrison Barnes was supposed to be Kobe 2.0. Rick Mount, Tom McMillen, Kevin Garnett, Sebastian Telfair and Jabari Parker were all on the cover of SI while still in high school. They wrote a big article on Demetrius Walker when he was like 14.

This has the feel of your beasely over Rose logic