NBA Thread 2013-2014

So, history suggests that there will be at least three All-Stars to come out of this draft. Every draft between 1953 and 2009 (it's kind of early for the last three classes) has had at least three All-Stars. Yes, even 2000, though Michael Redd, Kenyon Martin and Jamal Magloire each only made one.

So, who you got from this class? I'm probably going to look stupid down the road, but here are my thoughts...

Nerlens Noel and Ben McLemore are the closest things to good bets that this draft has. IF Noel is healthy, his length and athleticism combined with the relatively low bar for centers makes him a decent bet to make it. McLemore has the athleticism and outside shooting to get there, the only real question is his ability to get his own shot. His chances would improve greatly if he winds up with an upper-tier PG.

Of the rest of the "elite prospects", Anthony Bennett, Alex Len and Michael Carter-Williams all look the part. However, I don't think they'll reach that level due to some combination of deficient skills, lack of effort and/or trouble finding a niche in the NBA.

I don't think Victor Oladipo has the offensive skillset to get there and Otto Porter and Trey Burke are a little lacking athletically to reach that ceiling. If I had to pick one of those three, it would be Oladipo with the assumption that he somehow reaches the mid to high teens in points.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Cody Zeller makes an All-Star team. There aren't a ton of big men that can score right now and that's something he has the potential to do. Obviously his strength and physicality are an issue, but there are fewer players that can really punish him than there used to be at the position.

Of the non-lottery locks, I think Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has a shot. He's not quite as gifted athletically or from outside as McLemore, but he has a somewhat similar game. He has some upside if he improves his shot selection. Jamaal Franklin could also surprise some people if he improves his jumper. I don't know a ton about them, but Lucas Nogueira and Dennis Schroeder seem like the kind of guys the Spurs would draft-and-stash and are suddenly valuable pieces in three years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
This core has only played with Rose in the postseason once. Everything anyone thinks about the Bulls is based on one playoff series. I'm not comfortable with that.

This is actually a good point as well. I haven't even thought about it that way.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
This core has only played with Rose in the postseason once. Everything anyone thinks about the Bulls is based on one playoff series. I'm not comfortable with that.

This isn't directed at you, but I can't stand this core talk.

I remember this same garbage from 2005 or whatever. Everyone wanted to keep Deng, Hinrich, and Gordon together. No one wanted to get ride of Deng for Garnett or Gasol because we had to keep the core together. The core was good enough to win, we just needed to "tweak" it.

I feel like this exact situation is playing out again.

Can the Bulls win a championship, yes. Are they going to be the favorites, no.

They will need things to fall their way to win. I want to look at this Bulls team and believe they are the favorites, or at least have an even shot, to bring home a title.

I don't believe it's even a real possibility, but trading Deng for Aldridge brings you closer.

Deng is what he is. He's an above average SF, who can't consistently make his own shot, is a + defender, but can disappear when we need him.

Butler is a younger version of Deng, and has the potential to be better. He's a + defender. He is not the additional scorer the Bulls need. To say put him at the 2 and we're good does nothing. We need another ball handler and scorer on this team.

Noah is a top center (not saying much in today's NBA), who can pass the ball, but isn't going to put you on his shoulders and win games. I like Noah, and think he is a great piece, but he doesn't put you over the top.

Boozer is Boozer.

If you can upgrade Boozer to Aldridge, while replacing Deng with Butler, I think you improve this team. We're still a SG away, but we are now anyways.

I was a proponent of not resigning Deng and amnestying Boozer, but then I looked at the 2014 free agent class. There's nothing there that wows me. It coudl all change if teams don't pick up options, or they release players, but the current pool of players that won't be under contract in 2014 is not game changing. This Aldridge deal is probably one of the more possible scenarios of taking a step forward and improving the team.

If it's not Aldridge, I want the Bulls to be creative, and try to make a trade. I don't want them to keep the core just for the sake of keeping the core.

If it was Deng for Aldridge alone I wouldn't have any issue with that, but Portland would.

It's not. When we start talking the Bobcats pick, Mirotic, and probably a combination of that and more, that's where I hit the line.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
I want to look at this Bulls team and believe they are the favorites, or at least have an even shot, to bring home a title.

Until a few minutes remaining in game one of the 2012 NBA Playoffs, I was so certain the Bulls were going to skull f*** everyone and win the title.

Then Rose's knee exploded.

We're all talking like Rose will be a fine part and we're just a deal away. Rose could legitimately suck. His brain could stop him from ever approaching the levels he did prior to missing an entire season.

Who knows.

A trade for Aldridge would make me put NBA 2k13 back in the PS3, but if the Blazers are demanding Noah (last word) then it's pointless. Aldridge next to Noah would be something that could cause big-time problems for the Heat. Aldridge next to Taj/Boozer would be a problem.

Apparently the price is "a player and two first rounders". Deng is just a salary dump to them, though. They are already set at SF. Do they take Boozer? You could f***ing HOPE, but then they are still a player short.

I don't even think cap-wise it works, but they'd likely take Boozer, Charlotte pick, Mirotic, Bulls 1st. Portland would love to get Mirotic and their front office would jump all over that.

The only thing is, the Bulls likely would not. They believe Mirotic is going to be an NBA stud. It's hard to argue with this for next season, though.

Rose

Some derf/Butler

Deng/Butler

Aldridge

Noah

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
So, history suggests that there will be at least three All-Stars to come out of this draft. Every draft between 1953 and 2009 (it's kind of early for the last three classes) has had at least three All-Stars. Yes, even 2000, though Michael Redd, Kenyon Martin and Jamal Magloire each only made one.

So, who you got from this class? I'm probably going to look stupid down the road, but here are my thoughts...

Nerlens Noel and Ben McLemore are the closest things to good bets that this draft has. IF Noel is healthy, his length and athleticism combined with the relatively low bar for centers makes him a decent bet to make it. McLemore has the athleticism and outside shooting to get there, the only real question is his ability to get his own shot. His chances would improve greatly if he winds up with an upper-tier PG.

Of the rest of the "elite prospects", Anthony Bennett, Alex Len and Michael Carter-Williams all look the part. However, I don't think they'll reach that level due to some combination of deficient skills, lack of effort and/or trouble finding a niche in the NBA.

I don't think Victor Oladipo has the offensive skillset to get there and Otto Porter and Trey Burke are a little lacking athletically to reach that ceiling. If I had to pick one of those three, it would be Oladipo with the assumption that he somehow reaches the mid to high teens in points.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Cody Zeller makes an All-Star team. There aren't a ton of big men that can score right now and that's something he has the potential to do. Obviously his strength and physicality are an issue, but there are fewer players that can really punish him than there used to be at the position.

Of the non-lottery locks, I think Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has a shot. He's not quite as gifted athletically or from outside as McLemore, but he has a somewhat similar game. He has some upside if he improves his shot selection. Jamaal Franklin could also surprise some people if he improves his jumper. I don't know a ton about them, but Lucas Nogueira and Dennis Schroeder seem like the kind of guys the Spurs would draft-and-stash and are suddenly valuable pieces in three years.

It's too bad Shane Larkin is only 5'11". I think he'd be a stud if he were 2-3 inches taller.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
This isn't directed at you, but I can't stand this core talk.

I remember this same garbage from 2005 or whatever. Everyone wanted to keep Deng, Hinrich, and Gordon together. No one wanted to get ride of Deng for Garnett or Gasol because we had to keep the core together. The core was good enough to win, we just needed to "tweak" it.

I feel like this exact situation is playing out again.

Can the Bulls win a championship, yes. Are they going to be the favorites, no.

They will need things to fall their way to win. I want to look at this Bulls team and believe they are the favorites, or at least have an even shot, to bring home a title.

I would say there are three major differences...

1) The 2005 group didn't have Derrick Rose. That's a big difference assuming he's anywhere close to his old self. We HOPED that Gordon or Deng was going to reach that level, Derrick already has an MVP.

2) The 2005 group wasn't nearly as successful. They peaked at 49 wins and a second round loss in the playoffs. Even the banged-up Bulls without Rose and with Deng/Noah at less than 100%, they basically matched that.

3) To the best of my knowledge, no one of the caliber of Garnett or Gasol is on the block. Aldridge isn't that good, neither is Love. MAYBE Dwight if he's 100% healthy, but he isn't coming here. I think any sane fan would have said trade whatever to get KG or Gasol. I know I probably did for lesser players than that.

As I said before, the last part is going to be true regardless of what they do. Even if they simply replaced Boozer with Aldridge somehow, they still wouldn't be "favorites" (though they'd be pretty damn good). If they can get him without giving up Rose, Noah or Butler, then god yes, do it. That's unlikely though, and giving up any of those 3 makes it a bit more of a lateral move (well, Aldridge is obviously better than Butler, but you need him as a cheap asset to round out your team).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
It's too bad Shane Larkin is only 5'11". I think he'd be a stud if he were 2-3 inches taller.

I almost put him on there, but his size is a huge issue and the PG position is loaded. It's kind of the same thing with Burke, if he were slightly bigger or more athletic, I'd feel a lot better about him. It wouldn't totally surprise me if Burke turned out to be a very good player, but right now I'd expect something between D.J. Augustin and Jameer Nelson (who somehow made an All-Star team actually).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
I don't even think cap-wise it works, but they'd likely take Boozer, Charlotte pick, Mirotic, Bulls 1st. Portland would love to get Mirotic and their front office would jump all over that.

The only thing is, the Bulls likely would not. They believe Mirotic is going to be an NBA stud. It's hard to argue with this for next season, though.

I understand that your trade idea was just hypothetical, but if an offer like that were a real possibility, I hope the Bulls jump at that.

I believe the Bobcat pick has a far better chance at being a late lottery pick, or worse. So you have to gamble on that value, and then hope that there is real talent in the draft. That draft could very well be just like this one, where there isn't a clear cut game changer.

Mirotic is far from a guarantee as well. First you have to get him over here. It seems like he will come over, but he hasn't yet. Then he needs to adjust to this league. On top of that, you have to hope that his skills translate to this league and that he is as good as they hope.

If Portland is willing to take these gambles, and give you a sure thing, I really hope the Bulls jump at it.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
I understand that your trade idea was just hypothetical, but if an offer like that were a real possibility, I hope the Bulls jump at that.

I believe the Bobcat pick has a far better chance at being a late lottery pick, or worse. So you have to gamble on that value, and then hope that there is real talent in the draft. That draft could very well be just like this one, where there isn't a clear cut game changer.

Mirotic is far from a guarantee as well. First you have to get him over here. It seems like he will come over, but he hasn't yet. Then he needs to adjust to this league. On top of that, you have to hope that his skills translate to this league and that he is as good as they hope.

If Portland is willing to take these gambles, and give you a sure thing, I really hope the Bulls jump at it.

If I ask myself "Is the upgrade from Boozer to Aldridge worth 2 first round picks, one of which is likely a lottery pick, and Mirotic", I quickly come up with the answer "no".

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
Not a fan of Bennett, especially since he's probably going to play the 3 in Cleveland. He needs to play the 4 to maximize his abilities.

I like Bennett but not as a fit in Cleveland. There's just no way he can guard the 3 in the NBA. Not sure how you fit him and Thompson together.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
I like Bennett but not as a fit in Cleveland. There's just no way he can guard the 3 in the NBA. Not sure how you fit him and Thompson together.

HATE him as a 3. Michael Beasley/Derrick Williams type career is a real possibility. He might have had a shot as a 4, though he'd still need to work on his D.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)

I think in a few years, Bennett will be a stud.