NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 10:46 PM)
I also shudder to think what LeBron could do from '87-'93 against inferior athletes, inferior defense and a league-wide pace that would make Nash's suns look slow.

And they would both be wrong. We've had one 30 PPG scorer in the last 4 years and MJ's gonna get 40 ppg? Stop it. He'd league the league, sure. He wouldn't sniff 40. Defenses dwarf those of most of Jordan's era. Athletes are better, rotations are better, schemes (in large part thanks to thibs) are better. It's not even up for debate (though i'm sure you'll try).

You still on that? LeBron even admitted that he's so obsessed with efficiency and getting the best possible shot for himself or a teammate that he overthinks the game at times and doesn't take what the defense gives him. Then came game 7. The end.

I shudder to think how much better a 2013 LED HDTV would be better than a 1987 LED HDTV. But wait, having an LED HDTV in 1987 relative to rest of the TV on the market will but 100 times more amazing than a 2013 version.

The more and more you talk, the more and more I find these cross ERA comparisons pointless. In essence, you are comparing a 2013 athlete with the training regimen, diets, nutrition, and not to mention, scouting report and availability of information, to a 1990 athlete without that luxury, and yet the 1990 version is still widely consider better than the 2013 version.

At the end of the day, Jordan's greatness in his era is much more than Lebron's greatness in this era.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
I shudder to think how much better a 2013 LED HDTV would be better than a 1987 LED HDTV. But wait, having an LED HDTV in 1987 relative to rest of the TV on the market will but 100 times more amazing than a 2013 version.

The more and more you talk, the more and more I find these cross ERA comparisons pointless. In essence, you are comparing a 2013 athlete with the training regimen, diets, nutrition, and not to mention, scouting report and availability of information, to a 1990 athlete without that luxury, and yet the 1990 version is still widely consider better than the 2013 version.

At the end of the day, Jordan's greatness in his era is much more than Lebron's greatness in this era.

You (not you, fans in general) can't have it both ways. "Jordan would score 40 ppg" or "Jordan would average 20 free throws a game" in today's era but I can't imagine what LeBron would do in the 80's. You're right. Like you said, EVERYTHING is more advanced now than it was during Jordan's era. I totally agree with the bolded part to this point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:09 PM)
You (not you, fans in general) can't have it both ways. "Jordan would score 40 ppg" or "Jordan would average 20 free throws a game" in today's era but I can't imagine what LeBron would do in the 80's. You're right. Like you said, EVERYTHING is more advanced now than it was during Jordan's era. I totally agree with the bolded part to this point.

I agree that defensive schemes are more advanced than Jordan's era, but they need to be because they can't be as physical as they were in Jordan's era.

Also, offensive spacing has gotten much, much better which obviously helps slashers. So, yes, everything is more advanced, but that doesn't mean it would make it any harder for Jordan to score in today's era.

Sorry for being part of the derailment of the thread once again. I'll stop now.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
I agree that defensive schemes are more advanced than Jordan's era, but they need to be because they can't be as physical as they were in Jordan's era.

Also, offensive spacing has gotten much, much better which obviously helps slashers. So, yes, everything is more advanced, but that doesn't mean it would make it any harder for Jordan to score in today's era.

Sorry for being part of the derailment of the thread once again. I'll stop now.

That just doesn't fly. You have to prove more physical defense=better defense. You just can't. Take the '89 Pistons for instance. As good as they were on D, they allowed 104.7 ppg per 100 possessions. Then you look at the '08 Celtics. They allowed 98.9 ppg per 100 possessions. That's a pretty big difference. And like you say over and over and over again, the game favors wings/guards and you just admitted offensive spacing, due to the evolution of the 3-pointer, is better. So the Celtics have way more obstacles to overcome. And it's still not close.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
That just doesn't fly. You have to prove more physical defense=better defense. You just can't. Take the '89 Pistons for instance. As good as they were on D, they allowed 104.7 ppg per 100 possessions. Then you look at the '08 Celtics. They allowed 98.9 ppg per 100 possessions. That's a pretty big difference. And like you say over and over and over again, the game favors wings/guards and you just admitted offensive spacing, due to the evolution of the 3-pointer, is better. So the Celtics have way more obstacles to overcome. And it's still not close.

And the 93 Knicks gave up 99.7 PPG per 100 possesions. They played at a faster pace than the celtics too. Look, the 80s was nuts. Tons of fast breaks and tons of scoring. Jordan played in a few different eras. He played in a really fast NBA (the 80s) and a really slow NBA (the late 90s). It would be my guess that overall d rating will drop with pace, although I haven't done research because I'm in class.

Eh, maybe not.

Edited by Boogua

My guess is that if you switched eras, Jordan would benefit far greater than LeBron IF you simply switched them in their prime.

If not, does Jordan become the cold blooded killer in today's whistle happy NBA? Does LeBron flop as much with no calls? Does LeBron benefit from college, does Jordan make the HS to pros jump?

Here's how I see it:

LeBron taken from today transplanted to Jordan's time would average the same rebounds and assists, but he'd see a big drop in points. He'd also be injured more from the increased contact.

Meanwhile, I feel like Jordan would average more points. If ancient Kobe can put up 27 PPG on 8 FTA, then Jordan can do the same if not better. Then I feel like LeBron would put up a stat line similar to Magic with less assists and more points.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 07:09 PM)

That's why you need to call it based on what translates over to different era, not physical abilities and schemes. If you give me Lebron's size, rebounding and passing ability or Jordan's heart, drive, clutch, fundamentals, and scoring ability and they are playing in the same era, it will be foolish not to pick Jordan.

Another reason people will always prefer Jordan over Lebron is Jordan is the epitome of a true champion. The game always seem a lot easier for Lebron because he bigger and faster than everyone else. The only thing he had to overcome in his journey is his inability to perform in the clutch.

For Jordan he had to get past the Bad Boy Pistons, and getting beat up by them over and over again, a broken foot that put him out of action for a year, the death of his father and his gambling problems, and the infamous flu in the playoffs, and not to mention when he had the ball in the late game situations, you know he's going to come through. People can relate to Jordan a lot more than they can to Lebron.

Had Lebron stuck with the Cavs and finally get past the Big 3 on his own, it would have been a much better narrative. There will always be an asterisk in his resume

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
And the 93 Knicks gave up 99.7 PPG per 100 possesions. They played at a faster pace than the celtics too. Look, the 80s was nuts. Tons of fast breaks and tons of scoring. Jordan played in a few different eras. He played in a really fast NBA (the 80s) and a really slow NBA (the late 90s). It would be my guess that overall d rating will drop with pace, although I haven't done research because I'm in class.

Eh, maybe not.

d-rating accounts for pace. Yes, the '93 Knicks were very good. But they didn't have to deal with what modern defenses have to deal with. Like you keep saying, more physical, hand-checking, etc. Yet that team was no better than last year's pacers who can't be as physical, hand-check, have more space to cover, etc.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
My guess is that if you switched eras, Jordan would benefit far greater than LeBron IF you simply switched them in their prime.

If not, does Jordan become the cold blooded killer in today's whistle happy NBA? Does LeBron flop as much with no calls? Does LeBron benefit from college, does Jordan make the HS to pros jump?

Here's how I see it:

LeBron taken from today transplanted to Jordan's time would average the same rebounds and assists, but he'd see a big drop in points. He'd also be injured more from the increased contact.

Meanwhile, I feel like Jordan would average more points. If ancient Kobe can put up 27 PPG on 8 FTA, then Jordan can do the same if not better. Then I feel like LeBron would put up a stat line similar to Magic with less assists and more points.

Q, I love you. I'm going to assume greg hacked into your account and posted this. Do you realize you basically said Dominique Wilkins > LeBron James with this post? greg, stop hacking accounts.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
That's why you need to call it based on what translates over to different era, not physical abilities and schemes. If you give me Lebron's size, rebounding and passing ability or Jordan's heart, drive, clutch, fundamentals, and scoring ability and they are playing in the same era, it will be foolish not to pick Jordan.

Did you even read the post I replied to originally? You're all draped over me but look at what exactly I replied to.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
Oh, and the Nets suck. I'm going to stay away from New York teams when it comes to predictions. They always disappoint.

Warriors goin' bonkers again.

5 years ago this Nets team would be something else. But there is a lot of miles and ego in that team(not to mention $$$). They could go on a run, but I thought they would be a hot mess before the season started

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
Q, I love you. I'm going to assume greg hacked into your account and posted this. Do you realize you basically said Dominique Wilkins > LeBron James with this post? greg, stop hacking accounts.

:lol:

What? LeBron blows 'Nique out of the water. I said he'd basically be like Magic in Jordan's era, meaning very similar. Less assists, more points.

Jordan would be a superior version of Kobe in this era.

The problem is everyone is comparing LeBron to Jordan. Compare the two to their more similar players (Magic and Kobe) and you'll get a much better idea.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)
:lol:

What? LeBron blows 'Nique out of the water. I said he'd basically be like Magic in Jordan's era, meaning very similar. Less assists, more points.

Jordan would be a superior version of Kobe in this era.

The problem is everyone is comparing LeBron to Jordan. Compare the two to their more similar players (Magic and Kobe) and you'll get a much better idea.

Q, you said LeBron's scoring would go way down. Go check out what Dominique, English, Dantley, King and Aguire averaged and say that again. You'll want to clone yourself and kick your ass.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 10:58 PM)
Q, you said LeBron's scoring would go way down. Go check out what Dominique, English, Dantley, King and Aguire averaged and say that again. You'll want to clone yourself and kick your ass.

Eh, I shouldn't have said way down. That was stupid.

So to go back and be re-visionary

LeBron would essentially be the same in an older era. His scoring WOULD drop until he could adapt to the game change (more physicality), but he'd still be a top player in the game.

Meanwhile, Jordan would benefit from moving to the modern era.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
Oh, and the Nets suck. I'm going to stay away from New York teams when it comes to predictions. They always disappoint.

I want to say I told you so, but jesus dude, it's 10 games. Quit jumping to conclusions.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
I want to say I told you so, but jesus dude, it's 10 games. Quit jumping to conclusions.

Ya, I don't think they're that great but it's going to take them a bit to fit all their pieces together. They'll be much better by the end of the season.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 12:40 AM)
Eh, I shouldn't have said way down. That was stupid.

So to go back and be re-visionary

LeBron would essentially be the same in an older era. His scoring WOULD drop until he could adapt to the game change (more physicality), but he'd still be a top player in the game.

Meanwhile, Jordan would benefit from moving to the modern era.

This is a little more reasonable. LeBron would humiliate the 80's as far as I'm concerned. And I want to make it clear that I think prime Jordan would dominate today. 30-32 ppg, 52-53% most years. On a bad team where he was required to shoot A LOT, I could see '06 Kobe with a higher fg% . My beef is when people say he would be more dominant (especially the 40 ppg crap). There's just no evidence, eyes, stats or otherwise, that suggest scoring today is easier than scoring back in his day. None.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)

I had a dream that you raped a squirrel. And you didn't even feel bad afterwards. So be quiet.

Edited by Jordan4life