Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't understand why we want Granderson. He's a LF masquerading in CF, he strikes out 25%+, and is becoming old and injury prone.

Used to be really good, but now he'd just be a bad contract.

He's exactly the type of guy you want in a transition year. Well respected veteran coming off an injury ridden and/or poor season that will be willing to take a short-term deal (1 to 2 years max) at some level of hometown discount. If all goes right, he gives you a middle of the order left-handed bat at a decent price. If not, you wasted some money on a lost season anyways. Hahn is going to at least pretend we're trying to compete next and signing Granderson would help accomplish that.

Also, he would only fill in at CF in 2014 until Trayce is ready. After that, I'd give him at-bats at all three OF spots and DH.

If we are posting lineups we would like to see, here would be my two year plan:

C McCann

1B Dunn

2B Beckham (extend him for cheap

SS Prospect/1 year stop gap

3B Gillespie/Morel

LF De Aza

CF Thompson

RF Danks

DH Viciedo

SP Sale

SP Danks

SP Quintana

SP Johnson

SP Santiago

CL Reed

C McCann

1B Butler

2B Beckham

SS A. Cabrera

3B Gillespie/Morel

LF De Aza

CF Thompson

RF Markakis

DH Viciedo

SP Sale

SP Johnson

SP Danks

SP Quintana/Santiago

SP Free agent/call-up

CL Reed

Edited by Dunt

C Flowers

1B Corey Hart / Wilkins

2B Beckham

SS Yuni B!!!!!

3B Gillaspie / Morel

RF Hart / Danks

CF De Aza

LF Viciedo

DH Phegley!!

IF Andy Wilkins, Morel, Tyler Greene?

OF Danks

C - Phegley? I guess. And some other guy.

P - Sale / Danks / Johnson / Quintana / Axelrod? or FA

RP - Jones, Reed, Webb, Santiago, Castro, Leesman

wooo :|

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
With the looming trade deadline and Hahn's recent declaration that everyone is available outside Sale and Konerko, what do you think this club is going to look like a year from now? I'm thinking it'll be something like:

Can someone link me to this ?

IMPOSSIBLE to do, but what the heck.

C... Josh Phegley (Deserves the opportunity)

1B... Matt Adams (Go after this potential slugger with a Peavy or Crain heading to St Louis)

2B... Kolten Wong (Matt Carpenter making it TOUGH for him to get to the big leagues, if Cards are interested in Peavy a Adams/Wong return could be a possibility)

3B... Connor Gillaspie (He has shown quite a bit so far, still young, & let's see how he progresses/adjusts)

SS... Gordon Beckham (Would love to see him get a shot at SS if Lexi is moved, I think he can make the change just fine)

LF... Tank (Up & down...Up & down...Up & down it seems with him throughout the seasons, but I def don't wanna give up on him yet)

CF... Jacoby Ellsbury (Throw some money at him in the off season & give us a lead off hitter who can cause some real problems at the top)

RF... Alex Rios (This is iffy, cause I think there is a good shot he could be traded, but if not I'll gladly keep em)

DH... Adam Dunn (Don't think he will be traded & he continues to hit quite a few homers)

Ellsbury - L

Wong - L

Rios - R

Dunn - L

Tank - R

Adams - L

Beckham - R

Gillaspie - L

Phegley - R

Chris Sale (ACE)

Josh Johnson (Coop gets him looking like his old self :) )

John Danks (Hopefully he starts to look like his old self again)

Jose Quintana (Still young & still pitching fairly well, would like to see him continue to progress)

Erik Johnson (Look forward to see him making his debut later in the season :) )

Talk about "realistic".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
IMPOSSIBLE to do, but what the heck.

C... Josh Phegley (Deserves the opportunity)

1B... Matt Adams (Go after this potential slugger with a Peavy or Crain heading to St Louis)

2B... Kolten Wong (Matt Carpenter making it TOUGH for him to get to the big leagues, if Cards are interested in Peavy a Adams/Wong return could be a possibility)

3B... Connor Gillaspie (He has shown quite a bit so far, still young, & let's see how he progresses/adjusts)

SS... Gordon Beckham (Would love to see him get a shot at SS if Lexi is moved, I think he can make the change just fine)

LF... Tank (Up & down...Up & down...Up & down it seems with him throughout the seasons, but I def don't wanna give up on him yet)

CF... Jacoby Ellsbury (Throw some money at him in the off season & give us a lead off hitter who can cause some real problems at the top)

RF... Alex Rios (This is iffy, cause I think there is a good shot he could be traded, but if not I'll gladly keep em)

DH... Adam Dunn (Don't think he will be traded & he continues to hit quite a few homers)

Ellsbury - L

Wong - L

Rios - R

Dunn - L

Tank - R

Adams - L

Beckham - R

Gillaspie - L

Phegley - R

Chris Sale (ACE)

Josh Johnson (Coop gets him looking like his old self :) )

John Danks (Hopefully he starts to look like his old self again)

Jose Quintana (Still young & still pitching fairly well, would like to see him continue to progress)

Erik Johnson (Look forward to see him making his debut later in the season :) )

Talk about "realistic".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where did Santiago go ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 02:11 AM)
Where did Santiago go ?

It just came down to him or Q for me & with Santiagos ability to move to the bullpen I figured I would keep Q in the rotation.

Just don't like 4 lefties in the rotation.

But ehhh what's it matter?...None of have a clue what's gonna happen :lol:

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 01:14 AM)
It just came down to him or Q for me & with Santiagos ability to move to the bullpen I figured I would keep Q in the rotation.

Just don't like 4 lefties in the rotation.

But ehhh what's it matter?...None of have a clue what's gonna happen :lol:

Call me crazy, but if you don't like 4 lefties in the rotation, I'd seriously consider trading Quintana right now for a crazy package.

I know everyone is down on Danks at the moment, but part of me thinks him not being 100% may force him to learn how to actually pitch and help him in the future. Also, even if you could move him right now, it's going to be a simple salary dump. I'm not necessarily against that idea, but at some point you can have all the money in the world and not enough players to make smart investments in.

Unlike Danks, I think we might be able to get a crazy package for Quintana. He's young, cheap, left-handed, and has a ton of service time left. He's also currently 40th overall in pitcher's WAR. If we can get a package built around two high-upside position prospects close to the majors along with a couple A ball wild cards I think I'd have to do that deal.

And even if you dealt Quintana & Peavy, you'd still have a rotation or Sale, Danks, Santiago, Johnson, & Axelrod. I'd probably look into free agency for an upgrade over Axelrod, but at least you have a nice foundation (assuming Danks comes back 100% next year) to start your rebuild with.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 02:59 AM)
There's no way they're going to take on Josh Johnson's contract with his injury history.

Its bad enough with Danks for now to worry about.

Johnson is a FA...correct?

With his recent injuries & somewhat mediocre season so far, I doubt he makes the big time money.

If you can get him on a reasonable contract & he can turn it around with the help of Coop & just staying healthy, he could be a steal.

He still has a lot of pitching left in him.

The Q/Santiago argument is def a tough one. I personally like them both, but I just don't see us keeping both in the rotation unless Danks is gone.

Both are young lefties who have have shown some real promise.

Kind of a good problem to have though :)

I wouldn't mind a

Sale

Johnson

Q

Santiago

Johnson rotation, but I really think Danks will start to turn it around here shortly, & hell if he starts pitching a little like vintage Buehrle he should be able to find some great success. Danks just needs to KEEP THE BALL DOWN, just given up way too many homers right now.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
With the looming trade deadline and Hahn's recent declaration that everyone is available outside Sale and Konerko, what do you think this club is going to look like a year from now? I'm thinking it'll be something like:

C Flowers/Phegley

1B Dunn

2B Beckham

SS Call-up/free agent

3B Gillespie/Morel

LF De Aza

CF Call-up/free agent

RF Danks

DH Viciedo

Yikes!

Double Yikes!

This is always a crap shoot, and it would be an extremely lucky guess if the Sox even acquire one of these guys, but it's always fun to play armchair GM.

1. Adam Eaton, CF (L)

-Acquired via deadline trade with ARI, possible piece in a trade for Rios and Lindstrom/Thornton.

2. Michael Young, 3B ®

-Signed as a free agent, two year deal, pay the price to acquire him in hopes of having a positive effect on Beckham.

3. Ben Zobrist, RF (S)

-Acquired via offseason trade w/ Rays. Rays always looking to free up money and might have interest in a power bat like Viciedo plus some young pitching.

4. Brian McCann, C (L)

-The big splash in free agency by the White Sox to show the fan base that the team is serious about competing and making up for a pitiful 2013. McCann is destined for an AL team as he needs the DH spot to rest his body a couple times a week.

5. Paul Konerko, DH ®

-Homer pick, but if his back/hip/wrist all feels good and he wants to return on an incentive type deal, he would be a solid option at DH. Would help with the transition of someone else becoming the face of the offense.

6. James Loney, 1B (L)

-While Morse, Lind, Hart, Morales, and Morneau will be the prime targets of teams needing a 1B with power, Loney might be the forgotten man and be a relative bargain for a multi-year deal.

7. Jason Bay, LF ®

-Cheap option out in LF who could turn out being a major diamond in the rough. Whenever he plays in HR friendly parks he seems to flourish, but it would be perfectly acceptable if all he did was hit around .220-.230 as long as he provided around 25 homers.

8. Kolten Wong, 2B (L)

-Acquired via midseason trade with Cardinals. Cardinals have a logjam at 2B and Matt Carpenter seems to be solidifying himself as their 2B of the future. They might decide to hang onto Wong as insurance similar to what they have done with Matt Adams, but perhaps a deal for a SS like Ramirez might be to tempting for them to pass up.

9. Gordon Beckham, SS ®

-Beckham is a mystery offensively. He obviously has the tools to be a very good hitter, but the approach has been lacking until his recent wrist injury which has forced him to stop swinging for the fences. I have thought that ever since he was drafted, Michael Young would be the perfect mentor for him, but even if his offense is still a roller-coaster ride, it will be much more bearable if he can play an above average SS, which I believe he can. He has shown he has plenty of arm, as well as great instincts and reactions at 2B. I think it would be foolish not to see if those skills would transition over to SS with him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Why would anybody want Flowers? Santiago is a decent prospect, nothing special. Crain is good, but old. Why would the Padres ship us all those guys for one stiff, one decent lefty and a good but aging setup man?

Yonder Alonso is probably getting a 100 game suspension, and Flowers would be a decent backup to Hundley while the Padres are making a playoff push. Santiago is pretty good and controllable, and will be much better in the NL West, especially Petco.

SP: Chris Sale

SP: John Danks

SP: Hector Santiago/Jose Quintana (one is moved because of the overflow of LHP in the rotation)

SP: Erik Johnson

SP: Sox prospect / young player brought back in a trade / reclamation project

C: Josh Phegley

1B: Dayan Viciedo / player brought back in a trade

2B: Gordon Beckham

3B: Connor Gillespie

SS: Alexei Ramirez

OF: Alejandro De Aza

OF: Sox prospect / player brought back in trade / Dayan Viciedo

OF: Sox prospect / player brought back in trade / Dayan Viciedo

RP: Addison Reed

RP: Nate Jones

RP:

RP:

RP:

RP:

Edited by whitesox901

I think the more likely lineups of these being suggested are those that indicate the Sox using a mostly prospect laden lineup rather than spending significant amounts of money on lineups. That said, to suggest that the Sox won't spend any money in free agency is silly. I'm sure they will bring in a few new players, especially with all the money coming off the books at the end of the year as well as the $25 million supplemental income from the TV stuff. You'll almost certainly see one or two multi-year contracts given out.

The more I read through this thread, the more I think, if the Sox make a move during the offseason, it will be with the intention of playing well in 2014 with an eye towards the division in 2015. There are a lot of holes and question marks that are really glaring going into next season, and this is not an incredibly strong free agent class.

Make a trade or two for a high upside bat, make a conservative signing or two that will be here for 3 years, and call it an offseason with the intention of winning about 81-85 games next year. If they remain mediocre to bad and only win 75, that's fine, and if they surprise and go bonkers with 92 wins, that's fine too. Just don't do anything stupid to get tied into a really bad long term deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 10:13 PM)
The more I read through this thread, the more I think, if the Sox make a move during the offseason, it will be with the intention of playing well in 2014 with an eye towards the division in 2015. There are a lot of holes and question marks that are really glaring going into next season, and this is not an incredibly strong free agent class.

Make a trade or two for a high upside bat, make a conservative signing or two that will be here for 3 years, and call it an offseason with the intention of winning about 81-85 games next year. If they remain mediocre to bad and only win 75, that's fine, and if they surprise and go bonkers with 92 wins, that's fine too. Just don't do anything stupid to get tied into a really bad long term deal.

If this was facebook, I would hit the like button on this post.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)

If baseball only had more stupid agents this would be possible.

• 1 month later...

My hope for next season:

CF De Aza

2B Beckham

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH Dunn

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

C Phegley

3B Chip from Santiago trade

SP Sale