Keppinger to Yanks?

flavum

I assume pure salary dump? I say play Morel and Gillespie as much as possible. Might as well see if you have something, especially since I always thought Morel had some potential to be a solid 3B men (obviously before all of the injuries).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
I assume pure salary dump? I say play Morel and Gillespie as much as possible. Might as well see if you have something, especially since I always thought Morel had some potential to be a solid 3B men (obviously before all of the injuries).

This type of move, with the Yankees taking on that contract, makes a ton of sense for both teams. It's not so much money it would hamper the Yanks, they get a lot of flexibility to cover positions in an older infield, the Sox clear salary. He even knows the AL East pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
This type of move, with the Yankees taking on that contract, makes a ton of sense for both teams. It's not so much money it would hamper the Yanks, they get a lot of flexibility to cover positions in an older infield, the Sox clear salary. He even knows the AL East pitching.

Exactly, the Yankees are one of the few teams that can afford a $5 million utility guy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
What do you think he is gonna do, trade Sale, Peavy, Santiago, & Quintana? Stop it. He may trade a starter and a reliever or two, not the whole f***ing staff.

Do it quickly before the Yankees study tape of his ridiculous batting stance.

Think the Yanks would give up on Betances? He was once nearly untouchable but his stock has fallen quite a bit. I know pitching isn't the need here but I'd love to pick him up. Sox are better at developing pitching than the Yanks. See Jose Quintana.

He's working out of the bullpen now but I can see him turning it around and becoming a starter. If not he can join Jones and Webb as our future RH relievers.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Think the Yanks would give up on Betances? He was once nearly untouchable but his stock has fallen quite a bit. I know pitching isn't the need here but I'd love to pick him up. Sox are better at developing pitching than the Yanks. See Jose Quintana.

He's working out of the bullpen now but I can see him turning it around and becoming a starter. If not he can join Jones and Webb as our future RH relievers.

For Keppinger? Betances?

We should thank our lucky stars someone would be willing to bail us out of a fairly bad contract.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)

I have no idea whether they'd give him up...but they wouldn't give up anything of value for Keppinger.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
For Keppinger? Betances?

We should thank our lucky stars someone would be willing to bail us out of a fairly bad contract.

$4 MM per is not a bad contract, he just happens to be having a career bad year

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)

We'll get garbage for Keppinger, maybe a really raw low level prospect at best. Its either that or a AAAA type player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
We'll get garbage for Keppinger, maybe a really raw low level prospect at best. Its either that or a AAAA type player.

Sign me up. I don't have a problem with Kepp, but I'd rather give his ABs to someone else at this point, like Morel. A Gillaspie / Morel platoon would be fine.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
Sign me up. I don't have a problem with Kepp, but I'd rather give his ABs to someone else at this point, like Morel. A Gillaspie / Morel platoon would be fine.

I don't know if it would be "fine", but good enough, cheap, and easily replaceable once somebody better comes along.

It would be nice to get that contract out of here.

We have no need to dump his puny salary so I'd hope to extract something relatively useful from the Yanks. He's been coming on strong lately and looking much like the guy we thought we were getting.

For a UT man that contract is definitely not puny, and no team looking for long-term future pieces should ever commit enough playing time to a vet UT guy as to justify that kind of contract. Getting his contract off the books is a big plus if we can do it. And that "garbage" return is a pretty nice return if you ask me. I wish we could get that kind of value back for Dunn.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
Why would anyone want Jeff Keppinger?

1. not extremely expensive

2. AROD, Youkilis, Jeter all hurt

3. The immortal "David Adams" and his .190 average starting at 3b

4. Jayson Nix starting at SS

5. Keppinger hitting .330 since May 15

6. Yankees 3 games out of the Wild Card

7. Can fill the role and stay healthy for the remainder of the season

8. Won't cost much in terms of talent to obtain him

9. Already familiar with many of the teams in the AL East

10. Flexible enough to switch positions if Jeter or ARod do return this year

11. Yankees can afford a couple million for a UT guy

Do you really need to ask?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
1. not extremely expensive

2. AROD, Youkilis, Jeter all hurt

3. The immortal "David Adams" and his .190 average starting at 3b

4. Jayson Nix starting at SS

5. Keppinger hitting .330 since May 15

6. Yankees 3 games out of the Wild Card

7. Can fill the role and stay healthy for the remainder of the season

8. Won't cost much in terms of talent to obtain him

9. Already familiar with many of the teams in the AL East

10. Flexible enough to switch positions if Jeter or ARod do return this year

11. Yankees can afford a couple million for a UT guy

Do you really need to ask?

If this is all true then why isn't he in Yankee pinstripes by now? Could Hahn actually be trying to extract some kind of value here?