Keppinger to Yanks?

flavum

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
If this is all true then why isn't he in Yankee pinstripes by now? Could Hahn actually be trying to extract some kind of value here?

Or the other team might be waiting to see how people's injuries evolve. Who knows.

Keppinger is not value-less and is signed to a fair contract. Also, since he isn't great, his fair contract isn't very big. I wouldn't trade him for s***s and giggles, I'd try to get something potentially nice back for him. I'll continue to say this, but we are going to be saving lots of money in the coming year with expiring contracts and some of the other trades that are likely. You don't need to dump a guy for $4M a year because you think he is overpriced. He is NOT Mark Teahen.

Keppinger does have value, limited as it may be. Having a guy that is capable of playing 3B and 2B (and in desperate situations, SS) with the ability to hit left handed pitching at the level he does is extremely valuable, but it is limited value.

Yeah, I'm not going to move him for scraps, but if an offer with a legit prospect or two comes rolling in, I don't think twice about making the deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
Keppinger does have value, limited as it may be. Having a guy that is capable of playing 3B and 2B (and in desperate situations, SS) with the ability to hit left handed pitching at the level he does is extremely valuable, but it is limited value.

Yeah, I'm not going to move him for scraps, but if an offer with a legit prospect or two comes rolling in, I don't think twice about making the deal.

I would move him for scraps. The White Sox aren't in need of a utility guy at a premium price right now. At the very least they have the hole that developed last year, 3b, covered with a platoon that could give similar numbers to Keppinger. That's not a strength, but it's not the gaping weakness it was last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
I would move him for scraps. The White Sox aren't in need of a utility guy at a premium price right now. At the very least they have the hole that developed last year, 3b, covered with a platoon that could give similar numbers to Keppinger. That's not a strength, but it's not the gaping weakness it was last year.

Unless you are going to move Beckham instead, then Keppinger fills a hole and keeps the spot occupied until Sanchez is ready to take it, probably in 2015. Kep got off to a bad start, but has started to hit and will probably add another 30-40 to his BA by the end of the season. With his contract, he definitely has value as I am sure the Yankees know from facing him in their division last season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)

Right. I want to get something that is at least equal to his on field value to us in a trade -- in other words, the financial savings shouldn't be a factor on our end when evaluating whether the trade is a good one.

I think 3B can be handled okay by Gillaspie or a platoon of Gillaspie and maybe Morel. Beckham needs to play every day at 2B. If the Sox can get at least something back for Keppinger, I say go for it. It's only a small chunk of change, but money is money when you're looking at an overhaul.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
Unless you are going to move Beckham instead, then Keppinger fills a hole and keeps the spot occupied until Sanchez is ready to take it, probably in 2015. Kep got off to a bad start, but has started to hit and will probably add another 30-40 to his BA by the end of the season. With his contract, he definitely has value as I am sure the Yankees know from facing him in their division last season.

It's not like there wont' be "Utility infielders" available on the free agent market this winter if we decide we need one. Heck, with the fact that it seems Keppinger isn't trusted to play SS by Ventura, Keppinger is sorta in the way of actually having a utility infielder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
It's not like there wont' be "Utility infielders" available on the free agent market this winter if we decide we need one. Heck, with the fact that it seems Keppinger isn't trusted to play SS by Ventura, Keppinger is sorta in the way of actually having a utility infielder.

And also somewhat decreasing Ramirez's trade value, if you want to follow the same argument, as he's forcing Ventura to play Alexei every inning...leading to more physical mistakes/errors than ever before.

Edited by caulfield12

Sam Demel, Fred Lewis, David Adams, Mark Montgomery...some of these guys are obviously better than others, but just looking at numbers, they all appear to be decent players who aren't going to be game changers but should be MLB contributors. I'd take any of them for Keppinger.

I'd just much, much rather get something this year for him. If necessary, I'm sure you'd be able to dump him for nothing in the offseason.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
If we trade Alexei, I have a feeling we'll see Gordon at SS and Kep at 2B. Morel would probably be in the mix as a platoon partner at 3B for Gillaspie in that case.

I thought our defense was pretty bad now, but if thats the case, its going to get worse.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
I thought our defense was pretty bad now, but if thats the case, its going to get worse.

With how Alexei has been playing (error city), I have to wonder if we are actually worse off defensively in that case even with the drastic loss of talent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
1. not extremely expensive

2. AROD, Youkilis, Jeter all hurt

3. The immortal "David Adams" and his .190 average starting at 3b

4. Jayson Nix starting at SS

5. Keppinger hitting .330 since May 15

6. Yankees 3 games out of the Wild Card

7. Can fill the role and stay healthy for the remainder of the season

8. Won't cost much in terms of talent to obtain him

9. Already familiar with many of the teams in the AL East

10. Flexible enough to switch positions if Jeter or ARod do return this year

11. Yankees can afford a couple million for a UT guy

Do you really need to ask?

To quote Nigel Tufnel..."that's nit picking".

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
Sounds like the Yanks have moved to Michael Young to play 3B/1B.

The Phillies have said they are not very inclined to move him, so we'll see.

Sadly, Kepp has been one of, if not the best, hitter on the SOX since mid May. I am all for trading him, but he really is a useful UT guy on a playoff team. I wouldn't trade him for salary relief only.