The Wire is better than the Sopranos

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 06:00 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2828420:date=Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:15 PM:name=Brian)-->
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
<!--quotec-->While I enjoyed The Wire, I think it's slightly overrated.

I would not rank it above Sopranos, personally.

BArFt.gif

925660.gif

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 12:00 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2828420:date=Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:15 PM:name=Brian)-->
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
<!--quotec-->While I enjoyed The Wire, I think it's slightly overrated.

I would not rank it above Sopranos, personally.

BArFt.gif

Well played

I loved the first 3 seasons of Sopranos, but after that the story was clearly being stretched out just to keep it going due to how much money it was making/ratings. I think it went too long and had the worst cop out ending ever.

That was a total crap non-ending of epic proportions, how anyone liked it is beyond me. I've simply attributed it to peoples undying love for the show, they forced themselves to love that s*** plate they were fed at the end. Comparing how great seasons 1 and 2 were to the rest of that show is like comparing Goodfellas to Mickey Blue Eyes.

Seasons 1 and 2 were 4 star quality, probably the best television I've ever seen (until Breaking Bad).

Season 3 was a 3 star, still great stuff.

Seasons 4-6 were 1 to 1.5 stars, with a few (very few) 3-4 star episodes mixed in, with a 0 star rush job ending episode.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
Go back and rewatch the Sopranos, I am on season 2 now and I forgot how outstanding it is.

That's because you're on season 2. I can rewatch season 1 and 2 (and do), and still love it...because how of phenomenal they were. The rest of the show got progressively worse IMO. So I stop after Season 2 most of the time...sometimes I'll watch 3, but then I stop for sure.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Season 5 of Sopranos was great. That's the season with Buscemi, right?

I thought Buscemi was a bright spot in an otherwise stupid season yet again. The scenes he was in were usually awesome...the scenes without him came across as "filler" story.

I also didn't like how they castrated Furio, and I don't remember which season it was in. Dude entered the show a house of fire, busting faces, knees, etc., at the drop of a hat. That dude was a bad ass motherf***er. Then he loved Tony's wife, then he could have killed Tony, blah. Ruined an awesome character IMO. Then we got to concentrate on a closet gay mobster, instead. Which was aces. Only it wasn't.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
I thought Buscemi was a bright spot in an otherwise stupid season yet again. The scenes he was in were usually awesome...the scenes without him came across as "filler" story.

I also didn't like how they castrated Furio, and I don't remember which season it was in. Dude entered the show a house of fire, busting faces, knees, etc., at the drop of a hat. That dude was a bad ass motherf***er. Then he loved Tony's wife, then he could have killed Tony, blah. Ruined an awesome character IMO. Then we got to concentrate on a closet gay mobster, instead. Which was aces. Only it wasn't.

Agreed about Furio. That was S4, which I thought was the worst season of them all personally.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
That was a total crap non-ending of epic proportions, how anyone liked it is beyond me. I've simply attributed it to peoples undying love for the show, they forced themselves to love that s*** plate they were fed at the end. Comparing how great seasons 1 and 2 were to the rest of that show is like comparing Goodfellas to Mickey Blue Eyes.

Seasons 1 and 2 were 4 star quality, probably the best television I've ever seen (until Breaking Bad).

Season 3 was a 3 star, still great stuff.

Seasons 4-6 were 1 to 1.5 stars, with a few (very few) 3-4 star episodes mixed in, with a 0 star rush job ending episode.

IIRC it was only supposed to be 1-2 seasons originally.

I'm not vouching for the entire series being five-star, but the ending was good. This website breaks the whole thing down in a ton of detail and leaves only one possible conclusion.

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-...ion-of-the-end/

James Gandolfini's death made me want to watch the Sopranos again which I'm doing, I'm halfway through season 1, just taking my time. I'm really enjoying it again. I guess I kinda agree that it got a little worse after the first couple of seasons, though not as bad as a few of you seem to think. I really liked the "Steve Buscemi season" too. As for the shows final ending, I thought it was outstanding, though sad as hell.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
IIRC it was only supposed to be 1-2 seasons originally.

I'm not vouching for the entire series being five-star, but the ending was good. This website breaks the whole thing down in a ton of detail and leaves only one possible conclusion.

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-...ion-of-the-end/

That's not an official breakdown, just some guys opinion I disagree with. Terrible ending. No, worse than that. Terrible non ending. I have no idea how you or anyone liked it. It sucked then and it sucks now. Worst ending in history. :P. And there was no possible conclusion according to the creator, that was the entire point. A point I hated but a point nonetheless. It wasn't definitive, however, and after six seasons, forgive me, but I feel I deserve definitive. :P

Edit: The entire point was that Tonys lifestyle resulted in him having to look over his shoulder for an unknown assailant for the rest of his life. And that's that. Anyone stretching for more is doing just that.

Edited by Y2HH

David Chase didn't say there was no possible ending. As that website documents, he's said many times that the ending is perfectly clear and is there for anyone who wants to see it. Tony gets shot. In interviews over the years, Chase has expressed disgust at the fans who called for a gory ending for Tony, to show his brains on the table. He's dead, and the direction, context and statements by Chase make it unambiguous.