2013-2014 NHL thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
Please show me the statistical analysis that proves this to be fact.

From a guys first few starts? Come on man, you know there isnt remotely enough stats to back up either side of that discussion. Just watch the two. Raanta may get there some day, but he's still fighting the puck.

Crawford on the other hand was the most valuable player of a stanley cup winning run.

The argument is really "I don't want to sign a goaltender to X years for X money because and would rather play mix and match goalies because you can win with a lot of them, and not a ton of guys stay consistent for a really long time."

I'm on that side of the argument with Steve. Grabbed Niemi, won a cup. Crawford, won a cup. Raanta = next Niemi? Who knows, maybe.

It's easier to find answers in goal nowadays, a decent amount of teams have been able to do that, including the Wings when they were winning. That was the Bowman model. Stack the team, don't commit long term and big money to a goalie, and figure it out as you go. Which is why I was really surprised they signed Crawford long term.

Right now you could grab a decent men's league goalie and stick him on the Hawks and they'd win. I'm not trying to take anything away from Crawford, just talking about the model and the thought process behind it. I hope like hell Crawford turns into Patrick Roy at this point since he's signed long term.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
The argument is really "I don't want to sign a goaltender to X years for X money because and would rather play mix and match goalies because you can win with a lot of them, and not a ton of guys stay consistent for a really long time."

I'm on that side of the argument with Steve. Grabbed Niemi, won a cup. Crawford, won a cup. Raanta = next Niemi? Who knows, maybe.

It's easier to find answers in goal nowadays, a decent amount of teams have been able to do that, including the Wings when they were winning. That was the Bowman model. Stack the team, don't commit long term and big money to a goalie, and figure it out as you go. Which is why I was really surprised they signed Crawford long term.

Right now you could grab a decent men's league goalie and stick him on the Hawks and they'd win. I'm not trying to take anything away from Crawford, just talking about the model and the thought process behind it. I hope like hell Crawford turns into Patrick Roy at this point since he's signed long term.

You have to wonder if what we thought Bowman's guiding principles are were rather just him dealing with constraints. With those largely removed, we see that he does have a preference to reward players who performed with long-term deals. We'll see if it works with more titles, but it seems like it will hamstring hawks flexibility.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
From a guys first few starts? Come on man, you know there isnt remotely enough stats to back up either side of that discussion. Just watch the two. Raanta may get there some day, but he's still fighting the puck.

Crawford on the other hand was the most valuable player of a stanley cup winning run.

Patrick Kane won the Conn Smythe, and rightfully so.

Corey Crawford is an average goaltender at best who played behind a stacked roster and continues to do so. It took him almost TEN YEARS to make the big club, because they had no other option. Then they sign him to a 6-year deal at 6 mill per when their main goal should be keeping the players that actually make a difference on the ice. Long-term contracts to even the best goaltenders are a horrible idea, just ask the Canucks.

Corey Crawford has become the poster boy of the slobbering, mindless new Blackhawks fan in my mind. "YEAH CROW IS GREAT WE KEPT CROW WOOO GO HAWKS" yells dude who's wearing a matching $300 sweater as his fat f*** wife who are "obsessed with the Blackhawks". Blackhawks fans have become worse than f***ing Cubs fans for the most part.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Patrick Kane won the Conn Smythe, and rightfully so.

Corey Crawford is an average goaltender at best who played behind a stacked roster and continues to do so. It took him almost TEN YEARS to make the big club, because they had no other option. Then they sign him to a 6-year deal at 6 years per when their main goal should be keeping the players that actually make a difference on the ice. Long-term contracts to even the best goaltenders are a horrible idea, just ask the Canucks.

Corey Crawford has become the poster boy of the slobbering, mindless new Blackhawks fan in my mind. "YEAH CROW IS GREAT WE KEPT CROW WOOO GO HAWKS" yells dude who's wearing a matching $300 sweater as his fat f*** wife who are "obsessed with the Blackhawks". Blackhawks fans have become worse than f***ing Cubs fans for the most part.

I will only disagree with this part of the post, I think Crawford should have won it. Hell, even Kane thought so. But not a big deal.

Oh and the guy isn't wearing the $300 sweater, he's wearing the $40 one he found online that looks awful.

Wait a minute, weren't you the one telling me months ago to calm down about the bandwagon fans and just to relax and enjoy it? I f***ING LOVE THIS POST! :lol:

Oh, and Cubs fans are Blackhawks fans now...there's your answer.

Edited by IlliniKrush

I just can't believe that $36 million dollars in the salary cap era (regardless of how high it's going) was the number that was settled upon - I just still can't wrap my head around it.

And like I said. Crawford is average at best playing behind an amazing team.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
I will only disagree with this part of the post, I think Crawford should have won it. Hell, even Kane thought so. But not a big deal.

Oh and the guy isn't wearing the $300 sweater, he's wearing the $40 one he found online that looks awful.

Wait a minute, weren't you the one telling me months ago to calm down about the bandwagon fans and just to relax and enjoy it? I f***ING LOVE THIS POST! :lol:

Oh, and Cubs fans are Blackhawks fans now...there's your answer.

Meathead Hawks fans are worse then cubs fans because they know nothing about hockey.

I think this roster as composed, will live with the Crawford deal just fine especially with the cap increasing as it is. I am ok with Crawford, going with Raanta would have been a huge gamble .

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)

And none of those slobbering, mindless fans understand what WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE means. It keeps getting worse and worse.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Meathead Hawks fans are worse then cubs fans because they know nothing about hockey.

I think this roster as composed, will live with the Crawford deal just fine especially with the cap increasing as it is. I am ok with Crawford, going with Raanta would have been a huge gamble .

[cues up Cheslea's Dagger ring tone]

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
The black, "alternative" third sweaters are reappearing for the Soldier Field game:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey...-series-jerseys

Those are hideous. Should have stuck with the glorious alternatives that were born from the Wrigley Field Winter Classic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Those are hideous. Should have stuck with the glorious alternatives that were born from the Wrigley Field Winter Classic.

I was always fine with the black jersey, since it didn't have any gimmicks to it, just the same jersey different color, but the f***ing logo is horrendous. I don't understand this whole chrome logo thing for all the teams. It looks absolutely stupid. And the Hawks one is by far the worst.

But idiots may buy this s***, so I guess that's why they do it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:48 PM)
Hawks lose in an 8 round shootout, but Raanta looked much better this time. Hard to believe Kaner is 0-fer on the year.

I was just going to say the same thing. The first shot was soft, but he looked really good after that.

My god you people have a lot of contempt for newer Hawks fans. I really don't give a s*** about them, as long as they dont pretend they knew anything about them prior to 2009. Buy all the jerseys you want, get them from China, yell and scream, it doesn't bother me any. I'd rather have a packed house of 25% real fans and the media all over this team than back to what it was pre-Kane/Toews days when the place was empty and people didn't even know we had a team.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 01:33 AM)
My god you people have a lot of contempt for newer Hawks fans. I really don't give a s*** about them, as long as they dont pretend they knew anything about them prior to 2009. Buy all the jerseys you want, get them from China, yell and scream, it doesn't bother me any. I'd rather have a packed house of 25% real fans and the media all over this team than back to what it was pre-Kane/Toews days when the place was empty and people didn't even know we had a team.

The tourist fans thought hurting my attendance are awesome for the neighborhood. So they are fine with me.