2013-2014 NHL thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 5, 2014 -> 06:47 AM)
Hockey's final four could involve teams from the three largest US cities and the second largest Canadian city. If that wouldn't pull big TV ratings, nothing will.

The presence of a Canadian team would actually hurt TV ratings in the US, especially if they eliminate a market like Boston.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The presence of a Canadian team would actually hurt TV ratings in the US, especially if they eliminate a market like Boston.

There are more people in Canada than in Boston. I figure it would make up the difference. Yes I know that the Canadian TV contract is separate from NBC, but I'm talking about overall viewers.

EDIT: Also, the Lakers, Knicks, and Bulls either didn't get into or are already eliminated from the NBA playoffs, so that should boost ratings in those US cities even more.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)

Boston isnt that large of a city but I'm sure they pull regional viewers as well.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
There are more people in Canada than in Boston. I figure it would make up the difference. Yes I know that the Canadian TV contract is separate from NBC, but I'm talking about overall viewers.

EDIT: Also, the Lakers, Knicks, and Bulls either didn't get into or are already eliminated from the NBA playoffs, so that should boost ratings in those US cities even more.

If the Habs make the Finals, you may have more total viewers in Canada than in the entire US.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
Boston isnt that large of a city but I'm sure they pull regional viewers as well.

That's what I was trying to refer to, the large amount of Boston fans in the North East. Although their arrogance and loud volume probably leads to an over estimation as to the size of the fanbase.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
If the Habs make the Finals, you may have more total viewers in Canada than in the entire US.

That's what I was trying to refer to, the large amount of Boston fans in the North East. Although their arrogance and loud volume probably leads to an over estimation as to the size of the fanbase.

If you the Hawks advance and the Habs and Rangers that will be a killer ratings grabber.

Hawks/Rangers would be pretty good. Of course lots has to happen.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Better than the NBA, scheduling games both Friday and Saturday nights to start at 10:30 ET.

I pled ignorance. WHere were those games played?

The entire Wild/Blackhawks series is in the CENTRAL time zone, but the NHL is broadcasting them as if they are west coast games.

I pled ignorance. WHere were those games played?

The entire Wild/Blackhawks series is in the CENTRAL time zone, but the NHL is broadcasting them as if they are west coast games.

The 10:30 ET NBA games are both in the Pacific Time Zone, so they are 7:30 local, and I understand having regular season games that late, but the playoffs are supposed to be attracting a national viewing audience, and you aren't getting very many people in the Eastern/Central Time Zones (which is like 3/4 of the population) watching a game that late. Especially on a Saturday, when you have all freaking day to show games.

Yes, I get that 8:30 local time is irritating for Hawks/Wild fans, but the game before theirs is in the Eastern Time Zone so if they don't want the games overlapping then 9:30 Eastern is really the earliest they can have the second game.

Hawks up 2-0 in series. Do you think the competition is weak this year and Hawks are guaranteed a spot in the Stanley Cup Finals? What you think?

I was quite glad we got Minnesota in Round Two. Figured we'd beat them. Up 2-0 things looking pretty nice.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 5, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Hawks up 2-0 in series. Do you think the competition is weak this year and Hawks are guaranteed a spot in the Stanley Cup Finals? What you think?

I was quite glad we got Minnesota in Round Two. Figured we'd beat them. Up 2-0 things looking pretty nice.

Nothing is guaranteed. If they get past the Wild things will get much tougher.

1) Nothing is a guarantee in hockey.

2) Considering LA or Anaheim is next, that's about as far from a guarantee as you can get.

No the competition is not weak, each team has strengths and weaknesses.

No, the Hawks are not guaranteed a spot in the Finals. Give me Anaheim, then Montreal though.

Yep, Minnesota is a decent team, but nothing special.

Do not want Boston under any scenario. The Kings have that magic feeling (everything clicking) to them right now, they really need a loss soon.

QUOTE (Greyone @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
No the competition is not weak, each team has strengths and weaknesses.

No, the Hawks are not guaranteed a spot in the Finals. Give me Anaheim, then Montreal though.

Yep, Minnesota is a decent team, but nothing special.

Do not want Boston under any scenario. The Kings have that magic feeling (everything clicking) to them right now, they really need a loss soon.

good post ....... one thing about hockey that I know is, if 1 team is going to play the team that is favorite or has a history

of playing good hockey or is very talented, that one team will rise to the occasion to play great hockey.

playoff hockey is like any sport where a team can get hot. don't count on any team being out of the race, until it is over.