Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
If Cecchini was in our system and Semien was in Boston would their standing as top 100 guys be reversed? I just think it's funny. Semien has performed the same if not better than Cecchini but everyone was clamoring for him in a Peavy deal like he's something we have never had before.

It's a good question. If I had to guess, it's probably a matter of pedigree. Cecchini was a first rounder, right?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Nope. 3rd or 4th rounder if memory serves.

Jimmy raises a good point. I have seen this sentiment from a couple of scouts/writers that the Sox system gets overlooked because it has been so poor of late. While we have seen that mostly aimed at Erik Johnson, I have seen the idea mentioned on someone talking about Semien. I believe it was Sickels.

One thing I think is definitely true about the White Sox's system is that it has turned out more talent over the last few years than the worst-system-in-baseball should be able to do. Much of that is in the pitching staff obviously, but that definitely would fit with this point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:36 PM)
Bostonians seem to love their tough, gritty athletes like Peavy. It will interesting to see how they react if he struggles in the clutch. (again)

I'm always amazed how the Benrstein-ites think that being tough and competitive is a bad thing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)
I never said it's a bad thing. I am just saying that toughness and competitiveness don't guarantee good results.

Very true, just it sounded very derogatory from the post.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
Very true, just it sounded very derogatory from the post.

My point always is that while Peavy's competitiveness is great, so far historically he has struggled in the few "big games" he has pitched in. It's only been a few times, but he hasn't done well. At least he was better in Chicago than in SD.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 04:37 AM)
My point always is that while Peavy's competitiveness is great, so far historically he has struggled in the few "big games" he has pitched in. It's only been a few times, but he hasn't done well. At least he was better in Chicago than in SD.

The stat nerds (I say it lovingly) will get on me for this I'm sure, but Jake Peavy has been eminently hittable in many many games, including tonight's. Mark Buehrle in his Sox prime was so so so much better than Jake Peavy!

I'm not a Peavy hater. I loved his bulldogishness (the times he refuses to come out of games, et.all) but Jake is not a maestro.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 12:28 AM)
The stat nerds (I say it lovingly) will get on me for this I'm sure, but Jake Peavy has been eminently hittable in many many games, including tonight's. Mark Buehrle in his Sox prime was so so so much better than Jake Peavy!

I'm not a Peavy hater. I loved his bulldogishness (the times he refuses to come out of games, et.all) but Jake is not a maestro.

Than this Jake Peavy, yeah I'll go with you. Last year's Jake Peavy is a lot closer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:36 PM)
Bostonians seem to love their tough, gritty athletes like Peavy. It will interesting to see how they react if he struggles in the clutch. (again)

Like I said when the deal happened, Jake either becomes a cult hero or a goat in Boston. There is no middle ground.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)

Guys have good nights and bad nights. Also, this is not prime Jake Peavy.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
Guys have good nights and bad nights. Also, this is not prime Jake Peavy.
nce

MY guess is that Peavey is not the same as the form that netted him the Cy Young but s since he has been with the sox I didn't see a prima donna he has had to overcome injuries that would stop many men to just be a little bit better than average. I think Jake has showed whether he has one or lost or went to the disable list. He has given everything he's got to be where he is today. He is a competitor he gives it his all. He pitches with guts and determination he doesn't like to be defeated. I wish him well .

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
The stat nerds (I say it lovingly) will get on me for this I'm sure, but Jake Peavy has been eminently hittable in many many games, including tonight's. Mark Buehrle in his Sox prime was so so so much better than Jake Peavy!I'm not a Peavy hater. I loved his bulldogishness (the times he refuses to come out of games, et.all) but Jake is not a maestro.

Jake Peavy won a Cy Young in his prime, so that is not correct. And Mark Buehrle was no maestro himself, teams like the A's, Blue Jays, Twins, used to rough him up pretty good.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
Jake Peavy won a Cy Young in his prime, so that is not correct. And Mark Buehrle was no maestro himself, teams like the A's, Blue Jays, Twins, used to rough him up pretty good.

Exactly -- Buehrle never touched 2007 Jake Peavy. I grant that prime Buerhle was probably better than this current version of Peavy after multiple major surgeries and a 5-7 mph velocity loss, but let's not get crazy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)

You definitely didn't pick the right teams. Buehrle has a 2.48 career ERA vs. Toronto and is in the mid 3s vs. the A's and Twins. The Yankees absolutely have owned him and he has really struggled against Cleveland, Boston, Tampa and the Angels in his career.

Cole (The Office): What do you think of the White Sox getting Avisail Garcia? Solid regular with all-star potential?

Matt Eddy: I admit to being the high man on new White Sox CF Avisail Garcia at BA HQ. I think that when we look back in 5 years, he’ll be the best prospect who changed teams in July 2013. I love the contact rate for a young, developing power hitter, his ability to hit with power to all fields and the fact that he’s taking steps toward addressing his plate patience. I expect a future as a squarely first-division regular for Garcia. He idolizes Magglio Ordonez, and that’s a much more realistic outcome than the Miguel Cabrera comps that got tossed around last year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/pros...th-matt-eddy-5/

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Cole (The Office): What do you think of the White Sox getting Avisail Garcia? Solid regular with all-star potential?

Matt Eddy: I admit to being the high man on new White Sox CF Avisail Garcia at BA HQ. I think that when we look back in 5 years, he’ll be the best prospect who changed teams in July 2013. I love the contact rate for a young, developing power hitter, his ability to hit with power to all fields and the fact that he’s taking steps toward addressing his plate patience. I expect a future as a squarely first-division regular for Garcia. He idolizes Magglio Ordonez, and that’s a much more realistic outcome than the Miguel Cabrera comps that got tossed around last year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/pros...th-matt-eddy-5/

If Garcia turns into anything close to Magglio, that is a massive win for the Sox.