Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
I firmly believe that going to a 4-lefty rotation would negatively affect the development of both Q & Santiago. I would rather have both over Danks due to the mon ey & the uncertainty on Danks. Also, any team taking on Danks would believe they could get something out of him, so the second player's value shouldn't be hurt too much.

Let's say Peavy/Rios gets you 2 good looking prospects/unproven MLB guys plus 1 further away piece that has talent & is more of a longshot. I would add Danks, take the same deal, and let them keep 1 of the prospects as payment for assuming the risk associated with Danks & paying him. Of course if the organization feels it's probably a 70% chance or better than Danks makes a full recovery, I do none of that, and instead look to deal one of Q/Santiago ideally for a position player.

I really think that you need to hold on to Danks and let him rebuild some value and maybe next year at the deadline he pulls in two prospects of his own at that time. I would rather move Santiago now when he is more valuable than he ever has been than give up on Danks when he has a really good shot at re-building his value next season.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a "long shot" that the Padres would re-acquire White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy. The veteran hurler will be out until after the All-Star break with a rib injury and you would think the Padres would want a safer option if they were going to acquire a starter

Never know.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 32s

The #Braves inquired about Jake Peavy, according to @ajcbraves. #whitesox

FWIW:

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves

#Braves inquired about Peavy, but I get impression it was a just-in-case thing when couple of their starters were struggling.

Not saying it has any merit, because its just his opinion.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
FWIW:

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves

#Braves inquired about Peavy, but I get impression it was a just-in-case thing when couple of their starters were struggling.

Not saying it has any merit, because its just his opinion.

Yeah, that seems like the worst possible fit, they have five solid starters now and Beachy will be back before Peavy.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
Yeah, that seems like the worst possible fit, they have five solid starters now and Beachy will be back before Peavy.

I could see them possibly look to add Thornton to their pen for another lefty vet with their 2 reliable lefties out for the year.

They just picked up Feldman but a team like the o's might be the type that overpays for a guy like Peavy to put them over the top. Hard part is, until Peavy makes some starts, it will be hard to get the type of value they should. Sox might be better off holding him till the off-season and moving him then. Really sucks cause with his contract and ability, he'd have gotten a solid haul.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
They just picked up Feldman but a team like the o's might be the type that overpays for a guy like Peavy to put them over the top. Hard part is, until Peavy makes some starts, it will be hard to get the type of value they should. Sox might be better off holding him till the off-season and moving him then. Really sucks cause with his contract and ability, he'd have gotten a solid haul.

Just saw that, I'm not convinced they're done shopping around for pitchers though. I agree that Peavy needs to make a few starts before we trade him and I think we can still get a decent return from a team just on the cusp of a playoff spot (most likely from the AL East). I can definitely see the benefits of waiting until the offseason as well to trade Peavy.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 07:29 PM)
I see people throwing around Lind and Morales names as 1B/DH, but I haven't seen anyone really mention Morneau. The Twins are likely to let Morneau go and convert Mauer to full time 1B, and if Morneau finds that power stroke again, he can be one of the top 1B in the league for another 3-4 years. I think he would be a phenomenal signing if you can get him without breaking the bank.

Morneau would probably be affordable and if we don't want to bite on the higher dollar guys like Morales and Lind (doesn't Lind have a cheap team option for next season?), Morneau is the type of guy that could just happen to find it again and turn into a tremendous value. On the other hand, we'd never win a game against a left-handed pitcher with him and Dunn batting 3-4 or 4-5. That's one of the reasons I like Morales, the switch-hitting is tremendously useful.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
I firmly believe that going to a 4-lefty rotation would negatively affect the development of both Q & Santiago. I would rather have both over Danks due to the mon ey & the uncertainty on Danks. Also, any team taking on Danks would believe they could get something out of him, so the second player's value shouldn't be hurt too much.

Let's say Peavy/Rios gets you 2 good looking prospects/unproven MLB guys plus 1 further away piece that has talent & is more of a longshot. I would add Danks, take the same deal, and let them keep 1 of the prospects as payment for assuming the risk associated with Danks & paying him. Of course if the organization feels it's probably a 70% chance or better than Danks makes a full recovery, I do none of that, and instead look to deal one of Q/Santiago ideally for a position player.

Santiago and Danks both get righties out better than lefties. Q is roughly equally effective against righties as lefties. I would just cease stressing about the handedness of our pitchers. I also have no idea why the presence of other lefties or righties in the rotation would have any effect on the other pitchers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
mlbtraderumors talking about Gallardo for Skaggs as a possible deal. If that's true, the Sox desperately need for Peavy to get healthy soon

Apparently the DBacks haven't watched any Brewers games this year, because Gallardo has been bad.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Diamondbacks are among the teams talking about Jake Peavy, and CWS have had scouts on hand at Arizona games; they've seen Randall Delgado.

Meh, Randall Delgado is among the last things this team needs.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
Meh, Randall Delgado is among the last things this team needs.

I agree. Unless the Sox are planning on flipping him to another team. The Diamondbacks have a glut of outfielders. They might as well at least ask about Adam Eaton or AJ Pollock.

Don't overlook the entire tweet. Olney said that the DBacks are among "teams" talking about Peavy, so according to him, there is a market. Also, Rick Hahn blatantly said he's looking for position players. I would doubt that the scouts were only at the game to watch Delgado.

Sox shouldn't be looking at Delgado they've got enough pitching and Erik Johnson is nearly ready. They should be looking at Adam Eaton or Pollock, 3B Matt Davidson and SS Chris Owings. Sox need near ML ready bats.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
Sox shouldn't be looking at Delgado they've got enough pitching and Erik Johnson is nearly ready. They should be looking at Adam Eaton or Pollock, 3B Matt Davidson and SS Chris Owings. Sox need near ML ready bats.

You can never have enough pitching. It's cliche, but it's also true.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
You can never have enough pitching. It's cliche, but it's also true.

That is very true. I put that tweet first in the Rios thread and I don't know why but, I was thinking what if we package Peavy and Alexei to the DBacks for Didi, Delgado, Davidson and 2 lower tier prospects?

Thoughts?