Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
That is very true. I put that tweet first in the Rios thread and I don't know why but, I was thinking what if we package Peavy and Alexei to the DBacks for Didi, Delgado, Davidson and 2 lower tier prospects?

Thoughts?

Never going to get that much, and I don't know why Arizona would trade Didi for Alexei. All things considered, he's been really good for the DBacks and Alexei would be a downgrade.

They want Peavy, and I'd be surprised if they want more than that...maybe a reliever.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see them ask for Chris Owings too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Never going to get that much, and I don't know why Arizona would trade Didi for Alexei. All things considered, he's been really good for the DBacks and Alexei would be a downgrade.

They want Peavy, and I'd be surprised if they want more than that...maybe a reliever.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see them ask for Chris Owings too.

Is Chris Owings and Randall Delgado a good return for Peavy at this point? No surprise that Kevin Towers would like Peavy back.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Is Chris Owings and Randall Delgado a good return for Peavy at this point? No surprise that Kevin Towers would like Peavy back.

Ahh yes you are right. I did read that the DBacks were looking at the relievers too. Peavy & Crain?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)

Owings has been a consistent 3% BB guy in the minors. Only a handful of players can be productive with plate discipline that bad. I'd rather ask for someone like Holmberg, Chase Anderson, Eaton, etc.

Don't forget that Peavy (if healthy) is by far our most valuable 2013 trade chip given the market desperation for SP (I'm obviously not including Sale). I don't think Delgado, at least as a centerpiece, is the type of guy this team should get for cashing in the biggest chip. Nothing against Delgado, but we have left-handed versions of him in spades and have just nothing on the positional side.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Owings has been a consistent 3% BB guy in the minors. Only a handful of players can be productive with plate discipline that bad. I'd rather ask for someone like Holmberg, Chase Anderson, Eaton, etc.

Do we really need another LHP?

Eaton's been starting in CF for them recently, they're not going to trade him at this point...

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
The Mariners have so many busts in need of a change of scenery, and we have so many holes, that there just has to be a fit somewhere. Could they/would they use DeAza anywhere?

The only guy I can think of Viciedo. Maybe Flowers. Maybe also Nate Jones. Otherwise I don't see a match. It would be nice to get either Ackley or Smoak from them and hope to strike lightning in a bottle.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
If the Gallardo for Skaggs rumor is true then the Sox should be able to get more than Delgado....I'd be pushing for Delgado and Owings/Davidson or perhaps for Bradley and some lower level guys if the Sox have another deal lined up for a hitter.

Agreed If we're going to match up and trade with D-Backs i would like to see a package of Eaton, Davidson and Trahan or Perez, that gives us two piece to plug into our line up right away.

Going into '14

DH - Dunn or Morales

C - Phegley

1B - Viciedo

2B - Gillaspie

SS - Beckham

3B - Davidson

LF - De Aza

CF - Eaton

RF - Prospect from Rios or Ramirez move

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Agreed If we're going to match up and trade with D-Backs i would like to see a package of Eaton, Davidson and Trahan or Perez, that gives us two piece to plug into our line up right away.

Going into '14

DH - Dunn or Morales

C - Phegley

1B - Viciedo

2B - Gillaspie

SS - Beckham

3B - Davidson

LF - De Aza

CF - Eaton

RF - Prospect from Rios or Ramirez move

Gillaspie at 2B? REALLY?

I have a feeling they keep Beckham at 2B as long as he's hitting this well. He moves to SS, starts making some errors, his confidence is going to fall apart again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
Gillaspie at 2B? REALLY?

I thought the same, thought about it some more, and said "well, maybe".

It's really going to suck if the White Sox acquire a better prospect than him, because he's slowly developing into something that could be a useful long-term peice. He's never going to light the world on fire but 15 HR and an average in the upper .200's from 3b isn't terrible, and a mid-.700's OPS would put him in the middle of the pack in the AL if he could develop into that. (Yes, he's not there yet but he also had the kind of slump a rookie goes through).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
I thought the same, thought about it some more, and said "well, maybe".

It's really going to suck if the White Sox acquire a better prospect than him, because he's slowly developing into something that could be a useful long-term peice. He's never going to light the world on fire but 15 HR and an average in the upper .200's from 3b isn't terrible, and a mid-.700's OPS would put him in the middle of the pack in the AL if he could develop into that. (Yes, he's not there yet but he also had the kind of slump a rookie goes through).

That's just a REALLY difficult transition. Juan Uribe, Vizquel...they could go back and forth, Ozuna (just not SS), Eduardo Escobar, etc.

But we saw what happened when they tried Teahen there (as well as in KC)....and Morel at SS/2B is the same kind of stretch. You could see Morel POSSIBLY playing 2B. But SS, no way, except as an emergency option.

It would be the equivalent of Adam Dunn running the option or wishbone/flexbone for an Arena League football team.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
That's just a REALLY difficult transition. Juan Uribe, Vizquel...they could go back and forth, Ozuna (just not SS), Eduardo Escobar, etc.

But we saw what happened when they tried Teahen there (as well as in KC)....and Morel at SS/2B is the same kind of stretch. You could see Morel POSSIBLY playing 2B. But SS, no way, except as an emergency option.

It would be the equivalent of Adam Dunn running the option or wishbone/flexbone for an Arena League football team.

I bet if Gillsapie were told "this is your spot, start working on it now" he could pull it off, There'd be a transition, but really, the game is going to be slower at 2b than at 3b. The thing he wouldn't have done is turning the double play. At 3b he has to move in both directions faster than a 2b has to.

Yeah its becoming a trend in baseball that talented light hitting 3B move across the diamond to 2B. Gillasipe has shown (albeit in a small sample size) great defensive ability at 3B, moving him to 2B and the potential to hit 15-20 HR along with his plate discipline is like having Tadahito Iguchi back in our line up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
This is all assuming Beckham has the range to play SS. I personally do not believe he does and that this will all be a moot point.

And Joe Crede and Ventura both had incredibly quick first step reactions....absolutely doesn't mean either one of them had the range or overall athletic ability to play 2B.

The same was/is true for Mark Teahen or Gillaspie or Morel.

Now, if it's Brett Lawrie, or Brandon Inge, that's a different type of player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
This is all assuming Beckham has the range to play SS. I personally do not believe he does and that this will all be a moot point.

If the Hahn green lights moving Alexei, I think we see the sox go forward with the experiment. If beckham can be league average to slightly below defensively at SS and he has turned the corner(two big ifs) then we need to lock him up. Also in a league that has Cabrera, Lowrie, Aybar and Peralta at the position, I think Beckham turns out ok.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
And Joe Crede and Ventura both had incredibly quick first step reactions....absolutely doesn't mean either one of them had the range or overall athletic ability to play 2B.

The same was/is true for Mark Teahen or Gillaspie or Morel.

Now, if it's Brett Lawrie, or Brandon Inge, that's a different type of player.

So you'd argue Gillaspie has limited range? Is that what you're trying to say?