The continuing fall and decline of PHT.

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)
After reading through the thread, I would like to clarify that the reason I stopped coming to this site is because it seems the majoriity of people would rather s*** on my baseball team than enjoy their successes (although they're fewer and farther between now). I'd like to come here and "whoop and holler" about Dunn's f***ing bomb tonight with others, but instead I constantly have to read what trash people think he is. I know he's hitting .200, but he's our guy and he's here, and dammit he hit that ball a long way.

I've loved every guy but two that have put on this uniform since 1997 when I began watching. Those two guys, Jose Paniagua, for obvious reasons, and for some reason that I don't remember, Scott Schoeneweis. Hell, I even grew that stupid stripe on my chin for Billy Koch when I was 16.

Point is, this was a place where I would come to share the intense passion and love I have for the Chicago White Sox, and the last few years its become a place to read people s***ting on what I love. Not too appealling.

Other than elrockinMT, of course. That guy has cracked me up for years. And I mean that in the nicest way.

This would make a better open letter to Jerry Reinsdorf.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:18 AM)
After reading through the thread, I would like to clarify that the reason I stopped coming to this site is because it seems the majoriity of people would rather s*** on my baseball team than enjoy their successes (although they're fewer and farther between now). I'd like to come here and "whoop and holler" about Dunn's f***ing bomb tonight with others, but instead I constantly have to read what trash people think he is. I know he's hitting .200, but he's our guy and he's here, and dammit he hit that ball a long way.

I've loved every guy but two that have put on this uniform since 1997 when I began watching. Those two guys, Jose Paniagua, for obvious reasons, and for some reason that I don't remember, Scott Schoeneweis. Hell, I even grew that stupid stripe on my chin for Billy Koch when I was 16.

Point is, this was a place where I would come to share the intense passion and love I have for the Chicago White Sox, and the last few years its become a place to read people s***ting on what I love. Not too appealling.

Other than elrockinMT, of course. That guy has cracked me up for years. And I mean that in the nicest way.

Great post. It's fun to root for the Sox, I wish I could celebrate with you, but the crazy s*** the team has pulled the past 3-4 seasons has been almost too much to bear. I know I should enjoy Dunn's bomb tonight but he's so bad most of the time that it's tough to forget that. I hate to be that guy who ruins it for everybody but it's really hard to root for this team because of the insane ways it loses games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:12 AM)
Great post. It's fun to root for the Sox, I wish I could celebrate with you, but the crazy s*** the team has pulled the past 3-4 seasons has been almost too much to bear. I know I should enjoy Dunn's bomb tonight but he's so bad most of the time that it's tough to forget that. I hate to be that guy who ruins it for everybody but it's really hard to root for this team because of the insane ways it loses games.

Dunn is a tough one to root for or against. He's actually been pretty good over the past month or so, but we've seen this streakiness since he's donned the Sox uniform. However, I never get the impression that he's not trying. Overall, I like him, but I just wish he'd be a bit better.

The team, however, has found just about every way to lose this year. And that is very frustrating. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching my son's little league team when I see the mistakes these guys make. Winning like they did last night has been such a rare occasion that our first impulse is to jump on here and celebrate. Well, why not? I think we can all agree that this is not the year for the Sox (although Hawk, in talking to Peavy last night, insinuated that the season's not over because we haven't played the Tigers yet). I'm frustrated as hell with this team, but I still watch and cheer. Dunn's bomb last night was a thing of beauty as was Danks' effort on the mound. I for one am going to enjoy the wins and the great plays and the homeruns. I'm also going to be a little sad and excited at the same time when 3, 4, or even 6 guys are moved over the next month. The 2014 Sox are going to look a lot different than the 2013 Sox, and I'll be cheering for that team, too.

On a side note, I'm going to tonight's game, so these bums better win.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
I don't know what a "pittshoganerkoff" is, but I've really enjoyed saying that out loud for many years.

That was a mod responding to a slightly hammered post requesting ideas for a new screen name. I mentioned I was a Konerko fan, orginally from Pittsburgh, and my last name is Hogan. The new name just stuck...or I was too afraid to ask for another one. Who knows what they'd give me.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
That was a mod responding to a slightly hammered post requesting ideas for a new screen name. I mentioned I was a Konerko fan, orginally from Pittsburgh, and my last name is Hogan. The new name just stuck...or I was too afraid to ask for another one. Who knows what they'd give me.

From now on, your fraternity name is.....Flounder.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Reflecting back, I recall Old Roman, BMR, Cluer, Beastly (or WSC), JimH constantly instigating trouble and riling up everyone. There was no message board decor or rules, it was literally the equivalent of a youtube comments section.

It was daoldroman, thank you very much. I should know. I was the one typing it into the login box every day or so.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I guess I did go as The Old Roman here. I think I used daoldroman at MLB due to a character limit.

Edited by God Loves The Infantry

Part of the reason for my absence is I've been busier than ever this year. So I've caught games a lot, but after all the losing I care far less than I normally would.

Hopefully some trades start coming and get us intrigued.

I agree with the earlier posts about enjoying the good moments -- this board stinks at that. When we should be savoring the few fun moments of the season, we just use them as a reason to bring up all the bad things that we're already dwelling on all of the time. Now that we're out of contention, especially, it is best just to focus on individual positives when we can.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 12:53 AM)
I agree with the earlier posts about enjoying the good moments -- this board stinks at that. When we should be savoring the few fun moments of the season, we just use them as a reason to bring up all the bad things that we're already dwelling on all of the time. Now that we're out of contention, especially, it is best just to focus on individual positives when we can.

I feel like I'm in church, lol. Are you sure you weren't a seminarian?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)

It's great you are able to do that. Many of us are too sickened by the lack of offense and defense to be able to praise anybody.

I miss the days of soxnet.net. I was definitely a player here then. I miss whitesox.com on the mlb boards before it went completely to hell. I miss my old neighborhoods in Chicago but every time I'd go back no one I knew was there and hardly anybody spoke English. Now I'm told that on my next visit I'll notice the gentrification that is now is full swing. Time marches on and you can never go back. This year's Sox team is as bad as anyone I can ever remember. Add the reality that internet message board traffic is down as people switch to newer briefer more mindless forms of high tech communication. In any case internet message boards were never a bastion of intellect and civility. All you can do I suppose is contribute and hope for the best. I've enjoyed lots of posters and posts during my on again off again time at soxtalk.

yesterday always has a glow that pales in comparison to today. no point in longing for something that isn't here anymore. I still love me some soxtalk, even with all its flaws. why not approach it from a positive perspective and try to improve it? :)

i can't wait till we trade everybody. haha

I just went back and watched some video I took of old Comiskey Park ... it was an old yard, cramped, dingy...but damn I miss the charm of that place.

Comiskey, Tiger Stadium, the Met, Sportsman Park then Busch, hell even Yankee Stadium all were demolished. If palaces like that can be replaced, changes on internet message boards are clearly fair game.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
This is a weird thread

It's another source Sox fans can exercise our desire to complain.

I think Sox fans have a cynical and somewhat bipolar side to us, especially the old timers. I remember sitting in the stands during a game in the late 80s completely moaning and b****ing about the state of affairs with some dude I didn't know. But an hour later we were pouring over the American League red book looking at White Sox prospects talking World Series in 2 years.

I don't like fairy dust fans where everything is wonderful as you look up at the scoreboard watching your team roll to their 90th loss. Some of my best times with Sox fans in old Comiskey was just b****ing about things. I loved that.

It's the nature of being a White Sox fan.

To this day you want to get me on a good rant...ask me about 1983, the horrid call on the fair/foul ball in Game 2 against the Orioles that probably cost the White Sox that series BEFORE our offense pooped the bed in Game 4.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
It's another source Sox fans can exercise our desire to complain.

I think Sox fans have a cynical and somewhat bipolar side to us, especially the old timers. I remember sitting in the stands during a game in the late 80s completely moaning and b****ing about the state of affairs with some dude I didn't know. But an hour later we were pouring over the American League red book looking at White Sox prospects talking World Series in 2 years.

I don't like fairy dust fans where everything is wonderful as you look up at the scoreboard watching your team roll to their 90th loss. Some of my best times with Sox fans in old Comiskey was just b****ing about things. I loved that.

It's the nature of being a White Sox fan.

To this day you want to get me on a good rant...ask me about 1983, the horrid call on the fair/foul ball in Game 2 against the Orioles that probably cost the White Sox that series BEFORE our offense pooped the bed in Game 4.

That series is on the Dybber's baserunning gaffe. Ridiculous.