2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
I disagree with this, you will see many teams take signable org guys in rounds 3, 4, and 5 and use the savings their to go after a guy that slipped. And conversely people stop drafting the best player available after the first round and take best player available that we can actually sign. There is definitely more strategy than just going down the board of how you ranked players going into the draft.

That is an entirely different dynamic that I didn't even get into. What you are saying here doesn't disagree with what I said. It points out another dynamic - signability and use of bonus money. That is seperate from pitcher vs position player, which is what I was posting about.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
That is an entirely different dynamic that I didn't even get into. What you are saying here doesn't disagree with what I said. It points out another dynamic - signability and use of bonus money. That is seperate from pitcher vs position player, which is what I was posting about.

peace

Heard Hoffman really impressed in his interview. Great presence.

Big org love right now for this kid.

All love his approach and work ethic. All don't love his long-toss regimen but he's committed to it.

A lot can change but all things being equal, if he's there at #3 I'd be shocked if they passed.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)

All love his approach and work ethic. All don't love his long-toss regimen but he's committed to it.

A lot can change but all things being equal, if he's there at #3 I'd be shocked if they passed.

Good. I like what I've read. Thanks for the info, friend.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)

Awesome. Let us know if you hear anything about who they could be targetting in the 2nd RD, like that catcher Reetz that Quin brought up.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
Awesome. Let us know if you hear anything about who they could be targetting in the 2nd RD, like that catcher Reetz that Quin brought up.

This. I'm really intrigued by Reetz because he looks like he could BPA in their second round slot and would instantly become the orgs top catching prospect.

So while looking up some stuff on Reetz, and what his pop time and everything else was, I noticed that PerfectGame lists Alex Jackson as a VERY good defensive catcher. I was under the impression that his defense at C was sub-par and he would eventually have to move to corner OF with his huge bat.

According to PerfectGame, Jackson's pop time is 1.73, which is extremely good, and quite a bit better than Reetz's 1.94. Now I realize that is just 1 part of defense, but it's something I could at least quantify.

If that is the case, and Jackson is actually a good defender at catcher, then here is what I think I'd like to see given these three scenarios...

If Hoffman is available at #3, take Hoffman and try for Reetz with the 2nd RD pick.

If Hoffman is taken by that time, take Jackson and try for someone like TCU LHP Brandon Finnegan with the 2nd RD pick.

If Hoffman is taken by that time, and Jackson is not deemed a good defensive catcher, then take RHP Tyler Kolek, and try for Reetz with the 2nd RD pick.

EDIT: And let me end this by of course saying we are still 4+ months away from the draft, and things can surely change.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:44 AM)
So while looking up some stuff on Reetz, and what his pop time and everything else was, I noticed that PerfectGame lists Alex Jackson as a VERY good defensive catcher. I was under the impression that his defense at C was sub-par and he would eventually have to move to corner OF with his huge bat.

According to PerfectGame, Jackson's pop time is 1.73, which is extremely good, and quite a bit better than Reetz's 1.94. Now I realize that is just 1 part of defense, but it's something I could at least quantify.

If that is the case, and Jackson is actually a good defender at catcher, then here is what I think I'd like to see given these three scenarios...

If Hoffman is available at #3, take Hoffman and try for Reetz with the 2nd RD pick.

If Hoffman is taken by that time, take Jackson and try for someone like TCU LHP Brandon Finnegan with the 2nd RD pick.

If Hoffman is taken by that time, and Jackson is not deemed a good defensive catcher, then take RHP Tyler Kolek, and try for Reetz with the 2nd RD pick.

EDIT: And let me end this by of course saying we are still 4+ months away from the draft, and things can surely change.

Sox get one of Hoffman/Kolek and Reetz and I will be very happy.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
I could go both ways on that. (Prefacing this: It's obviously still early and many things can and will change.) Unfortunately at this point in time, there is a clear top two tier of Rodon/Hoffman, then a drop off in talent level. There is no clear cut number 3 pick. You could make a feasible argument for MANY players at 3 right now. Kolek, Jackson, Turner, Gatewood, Gettys, Beede, Touissant, Holmes etc. If there is little distinction in who the Sox think the BPA is amongst the players available at 3, grab the cheaper guy and spread the savings on the premium tougher signs later. It helps stock the farm and creates depth for the apparent goal of having a more self sustained organization. The Royals did it last year by grabbing Hunter Dozier at 8, which enabled them the money to sign Sean Manaea later. The Astros did it in 2012, taking Carlos Correa 1st, allowing them to sign McCullers & Rio Ruiz with the savings.

It's an interesting option, but if for whatever reason the Marlins don't take Hoffman the Sox better pounce on that.

That's just giving away the number 3 pick, if you drop too low.

Correa was a top 3 consensus pick....#3 on most boards, but top 3. And the #1 guy didn't get picked til #8 because everyone knew he wouldn't sign...and he didn't. So, yea, if the Sox are going to drop to #5 and do that, it's fine. But if they get a #10 talent, that's just giving away the #3 pick.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
That's just giving away the number 3 pick, if you drop too low.

Correa was a top 3 consensus pick....#3 on most boards, but top 3. And the #1 guy didn't get picked til #8 because everyone knew he wouldn't sign...and he didn't. So, yea, if the Sox are going to drop to #5 and do that, it's fine. But if they get a #10 talent, that's just giving away the #3 pick.

You can bet that in the interviews the Sox are having with players, they are asking them what their demands are. If they can save some money early, they will use it late.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
You can bet that in the interviews the Sox are having with players, they are asking them what their demands are. If they can save some money early, they will use it late.

I heard it's possible that Rodon could fall (a la Appel in 2012) due to his contract demands. If he knows he's the best in this class by a wide margin, he might demand it. It's conceivable that the Astros and Marlins might not want to commit that kind of money to one player and rather spread it out.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
I heard it's possible that Rodon could fall (a la Appel in 2012) due to his contract demands. If he knows he's the best in this class by a wide margin, he might demand it. It's conceivable that the Astros and Marlins might not want to commit that kind of money to one player and rather spread it out.

How would that work? If a guy fell from #1 to #3, would that mean we'd have to underpay all our other picks in order to pay his bonus?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
How would that work? If a guy fell from #1 to #3, would that mean we'd have to underpay all our other picks in order to pay his bonus?

Basically yeah. With the new system each pick has an "assigned draft pick value" for each slot. You can go over and under slot as you wish, but the money has to come out even or you get taxed for going over.

This is last year's draft recommendation numbers and a brief explanation:

http://ht.ly/k7AbT

Good article on our prep work for this upcoming draft.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...tant-draft-1990

Our overall draft bonus went from 5.3 million last year to around 10 million year, due to us drafting much higher.

We have apparently already interviewed Rodon, Turner, and Hoffman and have interviews planned for Kolek, Gatewood, and Beebe. Kind of surprised Jackson isn't in there too.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
If Rodon is available at #3 there should be no way we pass on him. He's a top 20 prospect in the game right now. He's got an 80 slider with his fastball.

Not that I think the two teams in front of us will be dumb enough to pass on him, we would have to meet whatever his demands were. You'd probably see the Sox sign some collegiate seniors in rounds 5-10 and sign them well under slot or maybe draft an unsignable high school kid in RD 3 at #78 and just take pick 78A in 2015.

I don't think so either. It's an interesting strategy if you don't view one player as head and shoulders above another, because the difference between the recommended slot for #1 and #2 in 2013 was 1,082,000 dollars. So teams could start negotiating and haggling on who is willing to take what.

Carlos Correa in 2012 agreed on a 4.8 million dollar contract when the recommended value of the #1 pick was 7.2. Because Appel in 2012 was a Junior, he had leverage that he could return to school, so there was no way he was signing for less than the 7.2. It saved the Astros nearly 2.5 million to spend elsewhere in their draft.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)

Yep. Your draft slot dollars are based on where you drafting, and not how good you are.

If I'm not mistaken, if a team doesn't sign a pick in the top 10 rounds, that money gets removed from the allocation money. So if Rodon demands something crazy like an 8-9 million dollar contract, your going to be drafting a bunch of college seniors for a couple rounds so they will sign for cheap and you can use the rest of those slotting numbers.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
If Rodon is available at #3 there should be no way we pass on him. He's a top 20 prospect in the game right now. He's got an 80 slider with his fastball.

Not that I think the two teams in front of us will be dumb enough to pass on him, we would have to meet whatever his demands were. You'd probably see the Sox sign some collegiate seniors in rounds 5-10 and sign them well under slot or maybe draft an unsignable high school kid in RD 3 at #78 and just take pick 78A in 2015.

Houston will not pass on him barring injury. They see Rodan and Appel a 1-2 punch down the road.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Houston will not pass on him barring injury. They see Rodan and Appel a 1-2 punch down the road.

I don't know I could see Houston and Miami passing on him for two reasons. The astros under Jeff Luhnow have shown a propensity for going under slot with #1 and landing as much talent as possible across the draft by signing the pick well under slot and spreading those savings across later rounds for above average signing slots. The marlins time and time again have gone with prep selections nearly 70% over the last 10 years. Their "window" doesn't line up with the likes of someone like Rodon, combined with the fact the strength of their system as it stands today is left handed pitching(Andrew Heaney, Justin Nicolino, Adam Conley and Brian Flynn) I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Jackson or Gatewood maybe Turner.

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
I don't know I could see Houston and Miami passing on him for two reasons. The astros under Jeff Luhnow have shown a propensity for going under slot with #1 and landing as much talent as possible across the draft by signing the pick well under slot and spreading those savings across later rounds for above average signing slots. The marlins time and time again have gone with prep selections nearly 70% over the last 10 years. Their "window" doesn't line up with the likes of someone like Rodon, combined with the fact the strength of their system as it stands today is left handed pitching(Andrew Heaney, Justin Nicolino, Adam Conley and Brian Flynn) I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Jackson or Gatewood maybe Turner.

The Astros did that by taking Correa. Last year they took the #1 talent on the board though. I expect that they will do the same this time around.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
This is a huge a mistake they need draft a position player, so they can build this new core of White Sox hitters (Courtney Hawkins, Micker Zapata, Tim Anderson, etc)

I totally disagree with you. I would much rather take a top pitching prospect high in the draft than a position player. Elite arms will always be in demand, and you can always flip them for hitters down the line if necessary. It's much harder to pry top pitching prospects away from teams. To tin you must have quality pitching first, offense second.