2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Really I am at peace with any of the top six guys at this point:

Rodon - Was the next coming of David Price before this season, played on a bad team and sometimes that can affect pitchers

Aiken - Best mix of pitches in the draft, a refined feel for pitching and good command

Kolek - Solid mechanics, physical build, throws heat,

Jackson - The Paulie comp was throw out there by one pub today, best hitter in the draft something the Sox sorely need is hitters that have bat to ball skills

Gordon - Sox have been pretty good developing MI lately, not as fast as his brother, but a better fielder and some power

Nola - Perhaps this years Wacha - decent chance to be the first player in this class to reach the majors

I was just clarifying the spelling. :P

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
It was on the mock draft done by BP and Future Sox.

"Alex Jackson - Paul Konerko comp coming out of HS- better athlete, more likely to stick at C but bat profiles about the same at same stage."

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2014/06...-for-cubs-at-4/

Specifically it was the lead writer from Through the Fence.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
That doesn't make any sense -- if they wanted to save money, all they'd need to do is draft underslot. Gives them flexibility to sign their first rounder, at least.

It looks like they had another use of the money in mind:

"Gregg will receive a $2.1MM pro-rated salary upon being called up, which means he’ll earn right around the same amount ($1.4MM) that the Marlins will now forego in draft bonus slot money, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com"

QUOTE (HoosierSox @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Being a Hoosier homer but I would love to see Kyle Schwarber fall to our 2nd round pick. He is a better prospect than Phegley was. He will bea ssolid major league catcher.

Thats interesting, almost uniformly the talent evaluators are saying he won't be able to catch in pro ball and will have to move to 1B, but most have him pegged to come off the board in the 15-25 range of the first round as well.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Thats interesting, almost uniformly the talent evaluators are saying he won't be able to catch in pro ball and will have to move to 1B, but most have him pegged to come off the board in the 15-25 range of the first round as well.

He might be able to handle LF but he won't be catching in the majors.

Any chance our 3rd overall pick is sent to kannapolis by the 19th or at all? Kanny is coming to charleston. I'm going to see Rondon. Was curious if they'd send him there first.

This is probably a dumb question but I thought about this the other day, if our 3rd pick, for example, was Kolek. And he didn't become a starter but became a lights out closer like Rivera and stayed with us like Mo did NY, would you be ok with still taking him?

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
Any chance our 3rd overall pick is sent to kannapolis by the 19th or at all? Kanny is coming to charleston. I'm going to see Rondon. Was curious if they'd send him there first.

This is probably a dumb question but I thought about this the other day, if our 3rd pick, for example, was Kolek. And he didn't become a starter but became a lights out closer like Rivera and stayed with us like Mo did NY, would you be ok with still taking him?

I would be going for Rondon and Michalczewski

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Some rumors on twitter about a predraft agreement between Marlins and Alex Jackson.

Probably looking to save some cash, just like they did by shipping off the 39th pick for nothing, so it makes sense.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
You should have stopped yourself. There will be no one like Mariano Rivera in MLB again but if you're asking the board if they'd be happy if the Sox drafted Mariano Rivera II, what do you think the answer would be?

Lol ya just wanted to see what y'all thought. I know what the answer would be.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Some rumors on twitter about a predraft agreement between Marlins and Alex Jackson.

That would make both baseball teams in Chicago very, very happy.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
So is Houston down to Aiken or Rodon only?

Supposedly Rodon, Aiken, or Jackson. If Jackson is *rumored* to be willing to cut a deal for Miami then I bet he would for Houston.

I bet offers and negotiations are just flying around right about now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
That is if the Sox take Kolek IMO. Everything I hear out of Cubs camp is they are not in on Kolek so even if Kolek fell out of top three they'd still be looking at Gordon/Pentecost/Conforto/Nola. Who knows if the media's right but it's been said across the board that the Cubs aren't interested in Kolek.

I don't buy it, especially from the Cubs. They were "all over" Appel and Gray last year and shocked everyone by selecting Bryant.

IF the Jackson Marlins connection has any validity, we would get to choose between whoever Houston passes on plus Kolek. In that scenario, Kolek would be the dark horse rather than the favorite, IMO.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Laws new mock is up:

1. Aiken

2. Rodon

3. Kolek - They have been connected to Kolek for a while. The Sox also have interest in Brady Aiken, maybe Carlos Rodon and Aaron Nola

4. Michael Conforto

5. Nick Gordon

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/...-Law-Mock-Draft

If those are Law's words, well, I have backed Law a lot, but holy s***, way to go out on a limb.