2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
But how does that absolve KW from misallocating funds. He had $4 million for 1 month of Manny after the draft. When he was busted and disgusted, he was able to get Peavy and Rios during the season and after the draft.

They claimed at the time this was money they "found". Was it money earmarked for draft picks they decidided against? We won't know that unless they come out and say it, but obviously there were funds available to go overslot if they chose. They didn't choose. When Borchard was there they spent big. Maybe that left a bad taste, but $4 million for one month of Manny was pretty sad.

As a point of clarification, I didn't say the funds were misallocated, only that it was the way they chose to allocate funds at the time. KW was "all in" on the ML roster, they scaled back their amateur budgets to try and extend their window of contention by acquiring veteran players (that often backfired, but the intention was good). If he would have gotten another WS ring, it would have been worth it. But they knew the day was coming when a tear down and rebuild was going to have to happen with an aging and over priced roster, Hahn has managed to turn lemons into lemonade for the most part shedding excess salaries from the ML roster while acquiring young (mostly quality) cost controlled players to serve as the core of the team going forward while at the same time building the farm system through the draft and international FA.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Did Kenny get a discount for Hawkins, Honel, Broadway, Borchard, Mitchell, et al? Can't remember.

Mitchell, Broadway, Walker, Poreda, and McCullough were seen as overdrafts to go under the recommended slot. They were able to get Sale at a discount by promising that he would be on the ML roster by the end of that season. Beckham was the only one that was right at slot. Previous to 2005 they went overslot with Fields in 2004. Borchard was taken in Schuelers last draft in 2000.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
So I'm kinda bored of talking about about the first round as nauseam, who is everybody's top 3 in the second round? I would love to see:

1.) AJ Reed

2.) Luke Weaver

3.) Michael Cederoth

I like Weaver or possible Nick Howard as a guy that can become a starter at the next level. Ideally if you take a HS arm in the first you would want a college arm in the second and vice versa, that is unless someone like Davidson or Hill are still on the board.

People can blame Kenny all they want, but our low draft spending was due to draft position (guarantee we've had one of the lowest average draft positions over the last 15 years), not taking advantage of the compensation system and accumulating a bunch of extra picks, and Jerry's refusal to go over slot since he was friends with Bud (Borchard/Danks being rare exceptions).

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
So I'm kinda bored of talking about about the first round as nauseam, who is everybody's top 3 in the second round? I would love to see:

1.) AJ Reed

2.) Luke Weaver

3.) Michael Cederoth

Braxton Davidson would be a great 2nd pick

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
Braxton Davidson would be a great 2nd pick

Agreed on that if he's there. Don't love taking players that are limited defensively so high but I really like his bat.

2B/CF Forrest Wall is another HS bat I like that could possibly be available in the 2nd. Great hit tool (potential 65) and speed (maybe a 70 runner) with some power potential. Not a great injury history though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
People can blame Kenny all they want, but our low draft spending was due to draft position (guarantee we've had one of the lowest average draft positions over the last 15 years), not taking advantage of the compensation system and accumulating a bunch of extra picks, and Jerry's refusal to go over slot since he was friends with Bud (Borchard/Danks being rare exceptions).

It was a conscious decision for KW to spend all on the ML at the expense of the Farm System. We could easily have spent more in the Draft if we wanted to regardless of having extra compensatory picks. When KW would squeeze out extra money to sign an AJ or Tadahito, where do you think it came from? His amateur-talent acquisition budget. It was not in the best interest of this franchise long-term the way he ran it, but it worked in the short-term (and for that I am grateful).

I'm cool with any of the big three, but my personal draft board would be Rodon-Aiken-Kolek. I do think it's critical that we get at least one college starter tomorrow night, so if we go with a high school arm in the 1st, I'd definitely lean towards a college arm with our 2nd pick. However, if we land Rodon at 1-3 I'd probably prefer a college position player with a strong hit tool if available. Regardless of how those first two picks play out, I see this being a pitching heavy draft for us in the first 10 rounds.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
So what time is this thing, is it going to be evening again? Please let it be later there's already going to be a lot of stuff that won't get done as it is, it's like a giant trade rumor day, f***, I'll try to stay away from the interenet it's like Xmas morning over here thinking about all this stuff. Can't wait.

Draft starts at 6 central. I would assume they do some intros and the Astros will be on the clock by 6:10, and the Sox will pick around 6:20-6:25.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
It was a conscious decision for KW to spend all on the ML at the expense of the Farm System. We could easily have spent more in the Draft if we wanted to regardless of having extra compensatory picks. When KW would squeeze out extra money to sign an AJ or Tadahito, where do you think it came from? His amateur-talent acquisition budget. It was not in the best interest of this franchise long-term the way he ran it, but it worked in the short-term (and for that I am grateful).

Except for the fact Reinsdorf didn't want him going over slot. Hard to spend more money on the draft if the boss is preventing you from doing so. The new CBA has been a blessing for us because it put us on even playing field with the rest of baseball.

In 2004, the Sox had 6 picks in the first 69 selections and 7 picks in the first 89 selections. They signed them all, and so far the group has a cumulative 13.7 career WAR. 14.7 of that WAR is Gio Gonzalez for other teams. So that produced negative WAR for the Sox. It was poor drafting and /or development.

Evidently Nolan Ryan met with Kolek today.

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 37m

Astros thought process will go to 5 pm Thursday, like last year, so don't draw conclusions from Nolan Ryan-Tyler Kolek meeting Tuesday

Expand

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
That full year in the bullpen was an utter mistake.

I don't think so. I think they were trying to find out if he could handle MLB hitters and a significant workload. Once the answers were yes, they moved him to the rotation to see if he could handle it.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
Evidently Nolan Ryan met with Kolek today.

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 37m

Astros thought process will go to 5 pm Thursday, like last year, so don't draw conclusions from Nolan Ryan-Tyler Kolek meeting Tuesday

Expand

My guess is they meet with their board one last time. They know who they're taking. IMO

Kiley McDaniel ‏@kileymcd 2m

The best draft dope comes in the next 18 hrs starting now as meetings are breaking for the night. Lots of buzz that Kolek is sliding.

Expand

I love being off tomorrow and Friday!

Edited by DirtySox

Kiley McDaniel ‏@kileymcd 4m

To give you an idea, a crosschecker gave me his mock top 11. Includes Schwarber at 4, Beede at 10, no Kolek in top 11. It's getting wacky.

Expand

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
Kiley McDaniel ‏@kileymcd 4m

To give you an idea, a crosschecker gave me his mock top 11. Includes Schwarber at 4, Beede at 10, no Kolek in top 11. It's getting wacky.

Expand

I don't see Kolek sliding. Lots of smoke gota let it settle.